Tracktion 6 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 6 released

Post by danboid »

Have you tried Sooperlooper in conjunction with Carla?
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I have used sooper looper and have played with it in a non-session plus carla plus non-mixer for a good live looping scenario. For a live looping setup it could work well but I don't do that much now. I prefer to record midi as loops. I maybe should have specified so I can also clean up my timing issues as I go more easily.

Ken
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

A mention my live rig right now is I play bass and use the I2M to trigger midi notes through a computer. So that is a chromebook + crouton + Debian Jessie + kxstudio. I use NSM to manage the sessions and use sunvox for the synth patches only. Since I can't change midi channels live I just click on the module I need to play at the time. I am going to be doing more straight keys and bass on the left hand with a future gig so my plan is to use NSM+ carla or maybe just carla to hold my patch setups and split the keys on midi channels and redirect from there, or maybe use a note range splitter in each patch.

However I am debating using renoise as a central host as it loads fast and I can save overhead using renoises sampler vs fluid synth plugins. However I do need to find something to convert soundfonts to xi or purchase renoise to use the plugin grabber.

Ken
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

There is a new renoise video which shows off the new standalone sampler they are soon to release and I saw someone mention that they could see .sfz support in the video. That means that the native sampler in renoise will also support those files but when it will be release is anyone's guess right now. I would think a couple of months at the most.
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

sysrqer wrote:There is a new renoise video which shows off the new standalone sampler they are soon to release and I saw someone mention that they could see .sfz support in the video. That means that the native sampler in renoise will also support those files but when it will be release is anyone's guess right now. I would think a couple of months at the most.
I think that is the one thing I go back and forth in with renoise. Use drum samples or use a drum kit plugin. I have a really nice batch of drumkit soundfonts that I like. So for the most part the kits follow a standard GM drum mapping. If I program those in renoise or move the notes to a traditional sequencer it remains logical the nature of the beat. However using individual drum samples in the more tracker spirit does yield more control over them and is the more tracker way. However the note mapping that pitches the sample where I need it might not translate to a GM map.

However that being said a post I read once on trackers vs sequencers the user mentioned that while he has tracker project files from 15 years ago they can still import and edit in their current tracker of choice the MIDI sequences they have from 15 years ago are anyone's guess as to if the soft synth or hardware is still available to make the MIDI file relevant.

Ken
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

devilock76 wrote:However the note mapping that pitches the sample where I need it might not translate to a GM map.
I really don't understand what you're saying here. You can map samples wherever you like with or without changing the pitch.
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

Yes, I know, but call that an extra step. Yes I know "le lazy". But unless I actively think about making sure my samples map correctly to the typical GM Drum Map I run the risk of being incompatible with the drum map later. I know it is a minor issue but one I consider between the two.

Ken
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I think what I need to do is go ahead and setup an instrument as a drum map in renoise. Renoise has effect chains per sample so there is a lot of power there.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

T 6.1 is now available to download for Linux

It would appear this marks the end of Tracktion for Linux being a free, beta product now that they have a dedicated Linux developer.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

danboid wrote:It would appear this marks the end of Tracktion for Linux being a free, beta product now that they have a dedicated Linux developer.
Has there been any official word or indication that this is the case (that it will not be free any more)? I keep seeing people say this as far as I know they have not even hinted that it is true, even it seems like it could be likely.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

From the KVR official Tracktion forum :
Hey guys - the latest Linux build is now live - plus we have rolled it in with the other Licenses - you now purchase a T6 license and it includes Mac/PC & Linux.

Further to this, we have also made Linux versions of our plugins - Master Mix and the Micro Synth Pack - available in the Tracktion Marketplace

Enjoy :)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

sysrqer:

No official word as such yet, just what stanlea/TSC posted above and, as I posted on KVR, as far as I can see the Linux-specific page proclaiming that T is free for Linux is no more and the Linux beta license sign-up page now claims 'there are no products available for purchase'.

If you got a free T6.0 unlock key that should still work with 6.1 for the same machine but if you do a new T6 install now I expect you'll have to buy a license.