Tracktion 6 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

Tracktion 6 released

Post by danboid »

Tracktion 6 was released for Linux over the weekend! Like its previous verrsion, it remains free for Linux users.

I also made a few small updates to the Tracktion Linux FAQ.

http://www.tracktion.com/features

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 2&t=420917
thetotalchaos
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 6 released

Post by thetotalchaos »

falkTX wrote:Is it me or is the tracktion website incredibly slow?
Works flawlessly here :wink:
You can listen to my music at: https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/

Take a journey to wonderland with The Butterfly Effect 2016
https://totalchaos-music.bandcamp.com/a ... fly-effect
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

falkTX wrote:Is it me or is the tracktion website incredibly slow?
Same here, maybe too much downloads.
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I tried to register T6 in the application and like T5 online reg fails. So I went to go get a new key through their website and there is no option for T6. I also tried using my old T5 key and that failed as well.

When I installed T6 I first uninstalled T5. Should I have not done that?

Ken
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

falkTX wrote:T6 will not be demo anymore.
What do you mean? Was there an announcement?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I don't know, the only thing I've seen there was them saying there were thinking about whether to charge for it or not and then a few people saying they should. I would hope their business model is dictated by more than that.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

It´s still beta and free, and registration is still a hard task.

@devilock76:
Online registration never worked for linux, so use offline registration. For T6 you maybe have to add the license at
your tracktion-account. Log in and in the linux-tab push "start here" if selectabel choose: v5 + v6 Combo Linux.
I advise you to use T5 until T6.1 for linux is released.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

antiesen wrote:It´s still beta and free, and registration is still a hard task.

@devilock76:
Online registration never worked for linux, so use offline registration. For T6 you maybe have to add the license at
your tracktion-account. Log in and in the linux-tab push "start here" if selectabel choose: v5 + v6 Combo Linux.
I advise you to use T5 until T6.1 for linux is released.

If you read my post I did try throught their website as had to be done in tracktion5. But I also didn't explain in detail that where I went was to add a license and there was no T6 for linux option even though you can download it. No option to buy one or get a free one. Just did not exist. All I could do is get another T5 license.

I will say this I am unikely to buy one yet. I don't think there is much "new" in version 6 to justify buying it... but I am noticing much improved stability in linux with loop recording vs t5. I still have this weird periodic noise in T6 though. Like a slow static swell that then goes away that does not appear otherwise.

Anyway I am going to play with t6 in demo mode more and maybe post to the kvr forums about this and see what shakes out.

If it matters the two environments I am testing on are:

1 Home station is a Lenovo TS140 i3-4xxx gen machine running Mint 17 with kxtudio
2. hp 14 chromebook using crouton to run Jessie again with kxstudio

Ken
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Yes I did read your post, and read it again:
devilock76 wrote:I tried to register T6 in the application and like T5 online reg fails.
I must have misinterpreted this?
devilock76 wrote:But I also didn't explain in detail that where I went was to add a license and there was no T6 for linux option even though you can download it. No option to buy one or get a free one. Just did not exist. All I could do is get another T5 license.
That´s why wrote that you have to go through the linux tab.
devilock76 wrote:I will say this I am unikely to buy one yet.
You can´t buy the linux version.
devilock76 wrote:I still have this weird periodic noise in T6 though. Like a slow static swell that then goes away that does not appear otherwise.
You know this is because it´s unregistered?
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

ok, I forgot about the static swell thing being unregistered. And I checked the linux tab again and hit the get started here for t5 and see now it is updated to be a combined t5 and t6 license.

Sorry haven't done a ton with t5 but my quick checking of the t6 demo it seems much more stable so I wanted to give it a whirl.

Ken
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

F:

They posted in the Linux FAQ thread to get peoples thoughts on charging for the Linux version but they've not announced their decision either way yet as far as I know.

I'm hoping they'll decide to keep it free for Linux but even if they don't, $60 is pretty cheap, That's almost 1/6th the price of Bitwig

devillock76:

I presume you've managed to get T6 registered now?

6.1.0 has been out on Win/OSX for a week now. I hope they'll release the new Linux version soon so I can stop checking their downloads page every day!
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I did, and I am still kind of mixed on it. I try to keep on top of the non-FOSS Linux music solutions as much as possible.

I basically have had a never ending issue with finding exactly what I want in one solution, the big thing is loop recorded sequencing in a daw that uses plugin hosts. As in I set a 4 bar loop point, hit record and then just start layering tracks. Neither Qtractor nor Ardour can do this. Non-sequencer does but as much as I love non in concept I tend to find it hinders me more than I would like, that is probably my fault.

So anyway I have tried the linux releases for tracktion and bitwig. I still come back to the best overall mix quality is from ardour and the best (read fastest) workflow is from Renoise. At least that is "for me". I think I might end up buying Renoise at some point soon.

However one thing that is great about linux audio is choices. Then again it tends to take me down a rabbit hole where I spend more time experimenting with workflows than using said workflows to get music done.

Ken
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Have you tried Sooperlooper in conjunction with Carla?
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

I have used sooper looper and have played with it in a non-session plus carla plus non-mixer for a good live looping scenario. For a live looping setup it could work well but I don't do that much now. I prefer to record midi as loops. I maybe should have specified so I can also clean up my timing issues as I go more easily.

Ken
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

A mention my live rig right now is I play bass and use the I2M to trigger midi notes through a computer. So that is a chromebook + crouton + Debian Jessie + kxstudio. I use NSM to manage the sessions and use sunvox for the synth patches only. Since I can't change midi channels live I just click on the module I need to play at the time. I am going to be doing more straight keys and bass on the left hand with a future gig so my plan is to use NSM+ carla or maybe just carla to hold my patch setups and split the keys on midi channels and redirect from there, or maybe use a note range splitter in each patch.

However I am debating using renoise as a central host as it loads fast and I can save overhead using renoises sampler vs fluid synth plugins. However I do need to find something to convert soundfonts to xi or purchase renoise to use the plugin grabber.

Ken