Ann: Radium 1.9.37

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

studio32

Re: Ann: Radium 1.9.37

Post by studio32 »

I will, but maybe you can also add a tarball for Radium without PureData
studio32

Post by studio32 »

KXstudio has a package for Ubuntu, not for Debian. Did test it on Ubuntu, nice app and yes NSM support would improve workflow when working with external apps like Carla.

edit: some kind of OSC support might be nice, so it would be possible to automate parameters in Carla for instance.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Is it possible to add some kind of swing feel to a track?
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Could you confirm this issue about packaging in KXstudio?

http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php ... 375#p51310
johey
Established Member

Post by johey »

I just tried Radium 1.9.43 for the first time, compiling it on Ubuntu 14.04. It looks promising, although I need to try it out more before I can tell for sure if I have finally found the free MIDI sequencer application I've been looking for. I like trackers and I don't like piano rolls, so this might be it! Although the UI looks quite wicked and feels a little slow (well, now I've compiled it in debugging mode, which might have notable impact on the performance?) it might be a matter of getting used to it.

I love it can sequence both MIDI instruments and "built in" sounds. Haven't really understood the built in ones, if they are samples or generated in some way. Just played with the MIDI sequencing myself so far. Would like it to have native Jack MIDI support. Is that a planned feature? Anyway, it works fine routing through a2jmidid, but anyway.

For now, this is just a first impression report. Too early for questions or bug reports, really. But I am happy to have found yet another candidate application for libre MIDI sequencing. Hope this one is THE one. :)

Oh, ok, one question... Would it make sense trying the 3.0 beta or should I stick with the 1.9 for now?
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

Thanks for the kind words. Answers below.
johey wrote:I just tried Radium 1.9.43 for the first time, compiling it on Ubuntu 14.04. It looks promising, although I need to try it out more before I can tell for sure if I have finally found the free MIDI sequencer application I've been looking for. I like trackers and I don't like piano rolls, so this might be it! Although the UI looks quite wicked and feels a little slow (well, now I've compiled it in debugging mode, which might have notable impact on the performance?) it might be a matter of getting used to it.
The UI should be very fast. It's running some wicked optimizations so that it, once upon a time, could run on an Amiga 1200.
So what specifically are you thinking about which is slow?
(and how fast is your CPU?)

I love it can sequence both MIDI instruments and "built in" sounds. Haven't really understood the built in ones, if they are samples or generated in some way. Just played with the MIDI sequencing myself so far. Would like it to have native Jack MIDI support. Is that a planned feature? Anyway, it works fine routing through a2jmidid, but anyway.
Oops, seems like jack midi was turned off in the build system. Don't know why.
In the file "build_linux_common.sh", uncomment the line that says

> "export RTMIDI_CFLAGS="-D__UNIX_JACK__ -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -D__RTMIDI_DEBUG__""

and comment out the line that's below it.

Note that although Radium currently uses RTMidi for MIDI (hope to change that some day), it doesn't use Rtmidi's own
jack midi code. That part of RTMidi was rewritten by me to get sample accurate timing, plus various
other things. I don't know if my work has been merged into mainstream now though.

For now, this is just a first impression report. Too early for questions or bug reports, really. But I am happy to have found yet another candidate application for libre MIDI sequencing. Hope this one is THE one. :)

Oh, ok, one question... Would it make sense trying the 3.0 beta or should I stick with the 1.9 for now?
No, it does not make sense to use 3.0 yet, if you are planning to make music.

Main feature of 3.0 is that it uses OpenGL for graphics. Smooth scrolling is very nice.
But it's not quite ready for usage yet, although it's getting closer and closer. Could be fun to try though.
Last edited by kmatheussen on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

studio32 wrote:KXstudio has a package for Ubuntu, not for Debian. Did test it on Ubuntu, nice app and yes NSM support would improve workflow when working with external apps like Carla.

edit: some kind of OSC support might be nice, so it would be possible to automate parameters in Carla for instance.
There is "some kind of OSC support". Actually, the OSC support should be [strike]quite nice[/strike] very powerful.

In the mixer, press right mouse button, and select "pd -> OSC send" or "pd -> OSC receive".
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

studio32 wrote:Is it possible to add some kind of swing feel to a track?
You can put events through a pd patch (pd is built into radium).
I guess there are pd patches that does this.
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

By the way, is it possible to get email when someone replies on this board? I think I remember getting it before, but I didn't get it now. It's not in the spam folder either. (I've looked around, but can't find an option for it)
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

falkTX wrote:
kmatheussen wrote:By the way, is it possible to get email when someone replies on this board? I think I remember getting it before, but I didn't get it now. It's not in the spam folder either. (I've looked around, but can't find an option for it)
Edit any post and check the option "Notify me when a reply is posted".
Thank you. It's working when you replied here, but I didn't get email for the other posts. I guess what I wanted was a notification if anyone wrote to the thread I had started, but that's probably not possible.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Can someone remind me why there is no Debian package ?
kmatheussen
Established Member

Post by kmatheussen »

kmatheussen wrote:
Oops, seems like jack midi was turned off in the build system. Don't know why.
In the file "build_linux_common.sh", uncomment the line that says

> "export RTMIDI_CFLAGS="-D__UNIX_JACK__ -D__LINUX_ALSA__ -D__RTMIDI_DEBUG__""

and comment out the line that's below it.
No, it doesn't work very well. Guess I disabled jack midi when I started
to use jack for audio, and didn't update the jack midi code to handle that mix.
johey
Established Member

Post by johey »

Thank you for replying! I hope to have time playing around more with it soon. Before that, I don't think I can give any useful reports.

I actually have an Amiga 1200 with 060. Maybe I should use that one instead of my i7... :)
LoggerBoy
Established Member

Post by LoggerBoy »

Did you find a way to get replies from the topics you where interested in. I'm just new here and perhaps I don't understand the syntax or something but I didn't get replies or notifications of changes to the thread either. I thought the checkbox in Subscribe would do that but apparently it doesn't.

Namaste, Logger Boy

Wow, P.S. On this thread I now see a blued area underneath this text with the control box for "Notify me when a reply is posted". That wasn't there in the other thread or I some how missed it??????????? Uuummm
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I downloaded RADIUM on the weekend and played a bit with it. I looks quite unusual and interesting. Does anybody is using it regularly?