Tracktion5 has arrived

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: Tracktion5 has arrived

Post by AnthonyCFox »

linuxdsp wrote:...I would rather see more open formats and standards rather than specifically open software...
Preach on!

Closed formats and standards are created by shortsighted greed and fear.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

linuxdsp wrote:I think the risks of depending upon either are about equal - you just pay in different ways
Probably true, but with open-source you are enabled to maintain it yourself. In a way you are a part owner of the "company". You can impact its future more than a single paying customer typically can. Its not a huge difference because often users lack the skill and/or time to do so, but I think it gives a bit of an edge to OSS in this regard. I agree with all your points, I just wanted to point out that with closed source you are 100% dependent upon others, open source you theoretically aren't. Sometimes the commercial licence agreement releases the company from liability anyway, they COULD take your money and run, luckily companies know this is the worst business model and they ethically maintain and support their software.

So there's a place for both OSS and proprietary software. Let the user use what they will.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

of course, having said all of that,
I can't register Tracktion 4 lol.
Online reg wont work and offline wont work. Any suggestions?
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

I had the same problem with registering. There was something I found about registering an offline computer I found in the manual or on the website that eventually worked. HA HA the irony! Such a problem arises from the software being proprietary :lol:
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

Such a problem arises from the software being proprietary
Because I'd much rather spend a week tracking down unstable beta versions of all the required dependencies for some open source application, hidden away in a dark corner of some unkown developers sourceforge page, along with several dead links to git repositories that have been abandoned, only to finally get it to build and discover it doesn't work properly.
Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

aprzekaz wrote:There was something I found about registering an offline computer I found in the manual or on the website that eventually worked.
Well I've tried both online and offline registering to no avail. Mind telling me how you did it?
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

I can't seem to find exactly how I did it. The website isn't working right now for me. All I can find is this:

http://forums.tracktion.com/forum/track ... r-purchase

Which describes the process pretty much. I didn't have the problem with the username. It worked for me when I dragged the key file onto Tracktion.

Sorry if this is no help.

linuxdsp wrote:
Because I'd much rather spend a week tracking down unstable beta versions of all the required dependencies for some open source application, hidden away in a dark corner of some unkown developers sourceforge page, along with several dead links to git repositories that have been abandoned, only to finally get it to build and discover it doesn't work properly.

What about Ardour? (or Qtractor, or LMMS) it seems to work pretty well out of the box with no unlocking or anything. It's also packaged ready to run with many audio distros which is how I got it. They do ask for some money which is totally reasonable in my opinion. Maybe this discussion is for a different thread tho.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

What about Ardour? (or Qtractor, or LMMS) it seems to work pretty well out of the box with no unlocking or anything. It's also packaged ready to run with many audio distros which is how I got it. They do ask for some money which is totally reasonable in my opinion. Maybe this discussion is for a different thread tho.
Yes, and the reason I made the comment was precisely to illustrate that you can't say "open source good" vs "closed source bad" especialy not just based on a single comment - open source projects (can) go wrong in the ways I described - from my own bitter personal experience of countless lost hours...
Equally, commercial software sometimes misfires (sadly around registration and software protection issues mostly, and normally to the frustration of 'genuine' users). The examples you give are well maintained projects, and Tracktion is actually also one of the better examples of (commercial) software I've seen for linux - I had no problems with the registration process - just signed up at http://www.tracktion.com/linux/
and everything went smoothly - the only issue I had was around some linuxVSTs not showing up, but I think that's been resolved now.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Agreed. Both are good products from my experience and very reasonably priced for what they offer.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

It's out! They just posted it yesterday. Sadly I can't try it until tomorrow.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Global automation write/read. I'm seriously interested just for this.

Where is v5? The website still has v4 listed for linux?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Ah :)
Can't wait to try this, I was watching some videos earlier and it looks really impressive. Bit of a steep learning curve maybe though.

edit: no lv2 support? That's a real shame.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Just installed it, seems to work ok so far. It recognised all of my ladspa and vst plugins but no lv2 support. I can't believe it's working and really can't wait to explore this. If only it supported LV2 then it could almost be perfect. It's going to take a while to learn it though, certainly different from any daw that I've ever used before. Very exciting though, it has some features that could be killer.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've installed T5 and it looks promising. Its got a clean and uncluttered interface, integrated sampler / FX and, unlike A3 and qtractor, it lets you not only do tempo ramps but it can time/pitch stretch the audio and keep it in key to boot. Nice!

Unlike T4, it doesn't look like T5 is free for Linux though. It plays a hissing sound every 10s or so and I think there is some other restriction in the demo version. Also, I've just quit out of T5 and I sill have a hissing sound every 10s or so - its just not as loud. I may well roll back to T4 and test that instead as a result.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The hissing sound has stopped now - about 20m or so after I quit T5 - without me having to reboot or work out what process could be causing it. Still, not good!

I'm hitting their forums now to find out what the craic is.