The Friday Interview

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Quirq
Established Member

Re: The Friday Interview

Post by Quirq »

Thanks zth, glad to see that interview and enjoyed reading it. Nice one!
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I was just getting that I've worn out the internet feeling --- and The Friday Interview popped up!

Meeting a newcomer, for me, this time, and enjoying that feeling a non-musician gets seeing musicians play new instruments and use new tools.
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

After a 2 week break, the Friday Interview is back again! This week we talk to Nils Gey, as musician and programmer, author of sequencer notation tool Laborejo, and who's currently writing his very own, state-of-the-art sampler. Very glad to be back!

http://www.zthmusic.com/nils-gey/
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Nils Gey wrote:But in the beginning and in the end is music.
8)

Great interview, very interesting read – thanks Zth and Nils. It's just a shame it wasn't longer, but I guess it is just "small but perfectly formed" :)
paulmerchant
Established Member

Post by paulmerchant »

These interviews have been amazing. Thank you! I wonder why they aren't being promoted on some of the Linux feed sites like LXer.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

well you could submit them to different sites, including reddit etc.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Great! Thanks for another interesting Friday.

Carnatic (South Indian) Classical music is a rare taste. How nice to see it on Nil's list. I'm not Indian, but I live here in Chennai, and attend quite a few Carnatic concerts --- on average, about two a week.
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

Thanks a ton everyone, and thanks to Nils!

@paulmerchant: I'd be honored if you, or anyone else for that matter, wanted to submit the series to those kinds of sites. So, please feel free to do so, it'll be greatly appreciated! :) It could be a nice way of spreading the Linux audio word.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

@Thad E Ginathom
ah, how interesting!
I lived in Chennai as well. But that ended in 2007. Since then I am back in Germany (I am German). I was there to take carnatic singing and music lessons over an extended period of time. Of course I visited many concerts as well, especially in the concert season around New Year.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Amazing! I have only lived here since 2008, so perhaps we just missed each other.
cianoc
Established Member

Post by cianoc »

Nils,
I didn't know about your sequencer/notation tool. Just been viewing your LAC presentation. It looks fantastic, can't wait to try it out.

I really like this new generation of modular Linux tools (non, all the Jack stuff, etc).
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

The sampler project seems promising. I understand that it's just the beginning, but can you tell us about the native format you want to use for the libraries ? Yet another format, or an existing one ? And what about using commercial libraries ?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

NilsGey wrote: I was there to take carnatic singing and music lessons over an extended period of time.
Wonderful. I did sit in mridangam class, in London, for some years, and used to regularly play morsing with youngsters, but really did not progress much beyond adi talam samam eddupu (sorry to others for technical term). This is as close as I ever came to being a musician. Now I just relax in the audience :oops:
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

Hey guys! 10th interview out. This week with Devin Anderson, author of Synthclone, Midi snoop, and numerous other contributions to Linux audio. Thanks to Devin for the interview, and I urge those of you that haven't to check out Synthclone. It has a huge potential.

http://www.zthmusic.com/devin-anderson/
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

A very interesting interview zth, thank you!