The Friday Interview

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Re: The Friday Interview

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

Just home after a holiday and caught up with the the falkTX and Nettings interviews.

Very well done and well presented. Excellent stuff: thank you all :D
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

Thanks Thad!

Lets hope you like this weeks too. Here we talk to male, the author of the Non DAW/Non tools/Non applications. We talk about Non, himself, and his recently released album (which I'm sure you've seen in the news section here).

http://www.zthmusic.com/male/

Thanks to male for the interview!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

You've done it again zth!

I'll have to admit that my appraisal and full comprehension of the Non suite has been lacking, even the great screenshots in addition to male's interesting commentary have shed so much light on how powerful these tools are, I also am enjoying the album so I'd say mission accomplished on this interview! Congrats and keep it up (both Non and the albums) male!
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Cool, I've been looking forward to this interview... and the one with GMaq, that'll be next Friday, right? :)

I remember my first exchange with male, in which he came across as abrasive, opinionated, and either 99% right or 99% full of shit. I'm happy to say it's not the latter. I've been reading a lot of linux audio code lately and I haven't seen anything nearly as clean, concise, and efficient as his Non suite. It's my style, anyway. Fast, light, non-nonsense, keyboard-friendly, modular. Most linux audio software leads me to question the whole idea of JACK, but Non vindicates it.

What's lacking... a good sampler, a good plugin API (yep, LV2 is insane), polishing of JACK itself (including the website and docs!)..... I'll also add: a good sequencer (sorry, non-seq ain't there yet.. at least not for my music), improve or replace ALSA, and of course the distro situation.. falkTX is doing great things but I'm looking to Non and AVLinux as the best hope for *my* ideal system with as little Qt/Gtk eyecandy cruft as possible! (With all the programmers in this world I see no reason why we can't support both ends of the spectrum)

Oh yeah, it's definitely about time for a new Non release - it's come a long way since the last one.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

zth wrote:Thanks Thad!

Lets hope you like this weeks too.
Yep! Very good.

(I would have liked to listen to the music, but kept getting error messages about not having Flash, even after I whitelisted the site.)
tnovelli
Established Member

Post by tnovelli »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:(I would have liked to listen to the music, but kept getting error messages about not having Flash, even after I whitelisted the site.)
Oh right, that's where Soundcloud has the edge - it's html5. Bandcamp does something odd with Flash... had to whitelist it in Adblock AND Flashblock.
male
Established Member

Post by male »

Thad E Ginathom wrote:
zth wrote:Thanks Thad!

Lets hope you like this weeks too.
Yep! Very good.

(I would have liked to listen to the music, but kept getting error messages about not having Flash, even after I whitelisted the site.)
Fyi you can enable html5 (bandcamp.com/html5), but it only works with mp3 capable browsers. For firefox, you need to enable the gstreamer media playback (in about:config).
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Thanks... that is all new stuff to me: I'll take a look
Thad E Ginathom wrote:(I would have liked to listen to the music, but kept getting error messages about not having Flash, even after I whitelisted the site.)
tnovelli wrote:Oh right, that's where Soundcloud has the edge - it's html5. Bandcamp does something odd with Flash... had to whitelist it in Adblock AND Flashblock.
Just for the record... the fault turns out to be at my end. Flash has got broken in my Firefox
[EDIT: fixed and listening... nice :) ]
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

Who's the next victim? ;) There are quite a few suitable candidates right here on the forum and on the Linux audio mailing lists. I'm interested in hearing from a mix of developers and users. Some I'd like to hear from are Julien Claassen (for a blind user's perspective), Dave Phillips and Paul Davis. This could be a long-running series.

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

Thanks everyone, and thanks male!

Next victim... You'll have to see on Friday ;) Ahh, the suspense!

And yes, I can tell you as much as all of the mentioned are on my wishlist. However, I haven't reached out to all of them yet. But you're right on the money for who I want to interview at least ;).

Cheers everyone!
kyokurider
Established Member

Post by kyokurider »

Hi, just post to say thank you very much for this series, i am so glad that the spirit lives on!!. i hate to make this suggestion cause is probably not the point of this interviews but i'd like to know what is the sort of compatible hw that people trying to make their Linux rig work on a "pro" basis go for...

keep it up man
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I'm sure your interviewee list must already include the RNCBC, K. Foltman (Calf), Robin Gareus and Mike LinuxDSP too, right?

I'm not sure all those guys would be too keen on being interviewed, tbh :)
zth
Established Member

Post by zth »

This week's interview is out! This time with electronic musician Louigi Verona, who I'm sure most of us know one way or the other ;).

http://www.zthmusic.com/louigi-verona/

Danboid:

They are all on my list ;) But thanks for the suggestions, and please keep them coming. There will eventually come a time where my list is empty. Although admittedly, it seems like there's quite a few months left before that happens :D
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Great work again zth!

I've posted my feedback on Lou's interview to the comments section.

Some other's I think you should consider interviewing are Takahi Iwai and Clemens Ladisch (ALSA devs), James McCartney (SuperCollider dev), Q (Linux prog rocker par excellence) and Robert Jonsson / Tim Real of MusE the Linux app.
Broomy
Established Member

Post by Broomy »

Thumbs up for this great interview serie. Keep it up.
The Quintar Project:
- Popularizing an all fifths tuning for guitarlike instruments
- Youtube: Playing and Building
- Files: Sourceforge