qtractor's automation improved

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

rncbc
Established Member

Re: qtractor's automation improved

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:This illustrates best what I am saying...:)
many would say that an image's worth a 1k words, i fully agree. unfortunately this doesn't seem the case: those white arrows aren't ringing any bells 'round here.

maybe it's just me, but what exactly is supposed to be illustrated up there?

eagerly awaiting a (few) words, including some about zoom level and current snap/beat setting...
8-)
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

Sorry to keep you waiting... my expectation was that (atleast) the automation snap would be at every bar (the one being pointed by the arrow at the top image)... but instead it doesn't align well to the "beat..." as you can see, the reality is that the automation points snap to place where it doesn't make sense to me...

and also, I've tried so many times but it seems beat settings and zoom level doesn't make a difference...

:)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:Sorry to keep you waiting... my expectation was that (atleast) the automation snap would be at every bar (the one being pointed by the arrow at the top image)... but instead it doesn't align well to the "beat..." as you can see, the reality is that the automation points snap to place where it doesn't make sense to me...

and also, I've tried so many times but it seems beat settings and zoom level doesn't make a difference...

my problem with that image is that i can't see any beat divisions up there, probably due to zoom-level.

but if snap/beat is set to anything but "None" then it should have snapped to the bar division at least.

are you saying that when you click-and-drag the data node (the red square) it doesn't snap to the bar position (the beveled vertical line, the one i can see on the images you provide) ?

seeya
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

yes... it doesn't snap as expected... how do you actually turn the bars on?

Attachments
If this might help...
If this might help...
ver.png (32.8 KiB) Viewed 906 times
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:yes... it doesn't snap as expected... how do you actually turn the bars on?
maybe it's my turn to show one of those 1k-word images ;)
qtractor-automation-bar-beats-1.png
qtractor-automation-bar-beats-1.png (11.3 KiB) Viewed 901 times
cheers
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

This is how I see it after I tried...

(nice thing exchanging pictures only, we can talk without typing too much words... :) )
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (15.04 KiB) Viewed 894 times
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:This is how I see it after I tried...

(nice thing exchanging pictures only, we can talk without typing too much words... :) )
is the current time-signature as 4/4 as well? reading by the green-checks and red-crosses on your last image it seems it is like 2/4 instead.

cheers
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

thanks for taking the screencast.

so it seems i forgot to tell that, when drag-move-editing an automation node around, sometimes nodes get automagically cleared out due to in-line interpolated optimizations. iow. for instance, if a node position and value adds nothing to the curve segment it is being inserted, because it is redundant or is coincidental to the existing interpolation curve, it will be automatically removed from the data series.

this not about snapping after all but rather an in-line optimization feature of redundant automation nodes. nb. this behavior is slightly different but appropriate whether automation curve mode is either (Sample &)Hold, Linear or Spline.

cheers
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

In my head it still says it's a snapping problem, because even when a node is lonely it can't be put exactly aligned to the bar... he's alone so redunduncy woudn't be a factor...

diversity

Post by diversity »

I agree with the above. Having the same snapping issue with automation. Regardless of how fine the snapping is it never aligns exactly the beginning of a bar. Running qtractor-0.60 on fedora, compiled from source.