qtractor's automation improved

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

danboid
Established Member

qtractor's automation improved

Post by danboid »

Those of you who don't read the qtr forums or follow its svn will prob not be aware that the latest svn version now allows you to copy/paste automation data! I think this is pretty big news as I know I'm not the only one who has been waiting for this very useful feature.

There's a few other less pressing things I'd like to see added to qtr now this works but the most important for those who (want to) use qtr for MIDI IMO are these two suggested improvements for track and bus creation:

http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/8/

http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/7/

Good work and big thanks Rui!
rncbc
Established Member

Re: qtractor's automation improved

Post by rncbc »

danboid wrote:Those of you who don't read the qtr forums or follow its svn will prob not be aware that the latest svn version now allows you to copy/paste automation data! I think this is pretty big news as I know I'm not the only one who has been waiting for this very useful feature.
thanks Dan.

it has been all shamelessly coined as" Extended Edit/Select Mode/Automation" entry (in the change-log): multi-selection mode, cut, copy, paste and delete of current track's automation curve nodes is now ready for the grabs--hope you test it on your own and tell what may be rough edges still ;)
danboid wrote:There's a few other less pressing things I'd like to see added to qtr now this works but the most important for those who (want to) use qtr for MIDI IMO are these two suggested improvements for track and bus creation:
http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/8/
http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/7/
these won't make it the next dot-release, sorry. but they are not forgotten ;)

cheers
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Hi Rui,

would my wish to have three rows in the mixer for "in", "tracks", "out" be a big thing to code? I imported one of my songs to Qtractor and I am drowning in the mixer already although the audio tracks are not yet imported.

Regards
Holger
Last edited by bluebell on Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

rncbc wrote: these won't make it the next dot-release, sorry. but they are not forgotten ;)

cheers
I wasn't expecting those feature requests to make it for the next qtr dot release as my spidey senses tell me you'll likely be gifting the LA world with 0.5.11 pretty soon now, looking at how much has been added/fixed since 0.5.10. Its good to know tickets 7 & 8 are to be implemented though as once they're added I believe I'll be able to advocate qtractor without having to make any excuses.

I've had a very quick play with the new automation selection/copy/paste feature just to convince myself it does really exist now but I've not properly tested it as I've been too busy moving house over the last couple of weeks which has absorbed all my spare time. I'll be sure to report any probs I may find ASAP.

Thanks again RNCBC!
totalchaos
Established Member

Post by totalchaos »

danboid wrote: I wasn't expecting those feature requests to make it for the next qtr dot release as my spidey senses tell me you'll likely be gifting the LA world with 0.5.11 pretty soon now, looking at how much has been added/fixed since 0.5.10.
Great news. Can't wait to see the latest version, of this wonderful DAW, finished and available. :D
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

bluebell wrote:would my wish to have three rows in the mixer for "in", "tracks", "out" be a big thing to code? I imported one of my songs to Qtractor and I am drowning in the mixer already although the audio tracks are not yet imported.
that one won't make it so soon, also. sorry.

http://sourceforge.net/p/qtractor/tickets/71

however, as it is a completely UI layout option--that is, it has nothing to do with critical audio/MIDI mission at all--you could try to code it yourself or even bribe someone to do it on your behalf... or as i use to say, it might be a nice week-end project if given the enough incentives ;)

cheers
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

totalchaos wrote:
danboid wrote: I wasn't expecting those feature requests to make it for the next qtr dot release as my spidey senses tell me you'll likely be gifting the LA world with 0.5.11 pretty soon now, looking at how much has been added/fixed since 0.5.10.
Great news. Can't wait to see the latest version, of this wonderful DAW, finished and available. :D
if checking from svn is not your type, you can try it right away from the daily snapshots:
http://www.rncbc.org/snapshots/#qtractor

cheers
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

I have a question about automation... how can you disable "snapping," cause I find it hard to place my automation points to the specific place where I want them to be... Thank you... :)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:I have a question about automation... how can you disable "snapping," cause I find it hard to place my automation points to the specific place where I want them to be... Thank you... :)
to

set the snap-to-beat value to "None" or to a smaller division; from the menu View/Snap or from main tollbar's drop-down list-box (default is "Beat/4").

hth.
cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Sorry to hijack the thread but on the topic of automation is it possible to record (or draw) automation for the aux bus effects?
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

sysrqer wrote:Sorry to hijack the thread but on the topic of automation is it possible to record (or draw) automation for the aux bus effects?
nope. see http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/751 (re. AUTOMATION ON BUSSES)

hth.
cheers
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's a pity but thank you anyway.
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

rncbc wrote:
mamarilmanson wrote:I have a question about automation... how can you disable "snapping," cause I find it hard to place my automation points to the specific place where I want them to be... Thank you... :)
to

set the snap-to-beat value to "None" or to a smaller division; from the menu View/Snap or from main tollbar's drop-down list-box (default is "Beat/4").

hth.
cheers
I've tried it already, and tried again now... it doesn't really get to the freedom I'm expecting... it still snaps to little divisions... I hope the devs make it move more freely...

anyway, thanks...

:)
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

mamarilmanson wrote:
rncbc wrote:set the snap-to-beat value to "None" or to a smaller division; from the menu View/Snap or from main tollbar's drop-down list-box (default is "Beat/4").
I've tried it already, and tried again now... it doesn't really get to the freedom I'm expecting... it still snaps to little divisions... I hope the devs make it move more freely...
what extent or kind of divisions are that you notice?

nb. in the horizontal axis (ie. time) there's an internal lower hard-limit for the minimal distance between any two consecutive automation data points: that distance being aprox.1000 sample frames. Is that what you're noticing? If yes, let me tell you that freeing that minimal distance limit won't ever make your automation more granular because most certainly the last point will override the operational and real effect of the previous one

iow. two consecutive data points for which their distance between them are less than current buffer-size sample period (or 1000 frames, whichever is higher) are considered one and the same for all practical purposes.

byee
mamarilmanson
Established Member

Post by mamarilmanson »

This illustrates best what I am saying...

:)
Attachments
img.png
img.png (11.7 KiB) Viewed 1423 times