Looking for Software

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

shdawson
Established Member

Looking for Software

Post by shdawson »

I am some what new to Linux and am still learning the app's for this and that from my Windows and Mac days. I would like to know if there is a Linux based application I can use for playing bass guitar via my MIDI keyboard controller. Something like Native Instruments, say their Scarbee bass or something like that...without having to setup WINE and go that route.

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/ ... e-mm-bass/

Something I do not have to pay or a software license. Something where the sounds are in the computer hard drive, and I simply play them out a USB sound card.

Please advise.

Thank You,
SHD
varpa
Established Member

Re: Looking for Software

Post by varpa »

To play sampled instruments try linuxsampler which can play gigasampler, SFZ, and SF2 sample formats. So if you have a base in one of these formats you'd be in business. Scarbee once sold gigasampler stuff, but unfortunately (from the linux point of view) that all got converted to Native Instruments format and it is no longer available as far as I know. You can use Native Instruments in Linux with wine, though I'm not sure everything would work.

Also, I'd recomment using a audio-oriented linux distro like AVLinux, kxstudio, or DreamStudio. These have lots of audio configuration tweaks and audio software pre-installed and will save you a lot of trouble compared to using a regular linux distribution like Ubuntu.
shdawson
Established Member

Post by shdawson »

Oh, wow. That is a lot to consider.

I am using Linux Mint. It is working well to help get me up to speed on Linux matters. What software application do you recommend to use for Linux Mint to play a fairly decent bass guitar?

Thanks very much for helping a fellow musician get up and going. I very much appreciate your help.

Kindly,
SHD
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

You can try the bass guitar SFZ instruments at http://www.bandshed.net/sounds/sfz/. (Search the page for "bass", there are a few)
You can load the SFZ instruments using QSampler, which is a graphical front-end for Linuxsampler.
shdawson
Established Member

Post by shdawson »

Nice!

Thanks,
SHD
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

More samples including bass in .GIG format (load with QSampler) and soundfont format (load with QSynth) also available at http://www.flamestudios.org/free/Homepage.