FooFighters bring it at the Grammies

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

slowpick
Established Member

FooFighters bring it at the Grammies

Post by slowpick »

Grammy for best rock song, foo fighter in chief says:

1. not about computers
2. not about being perfect
3. taps chest and skull, 'it's about whats in here, and up here'
4. sing into a microphone
5. learn to play an instrument
6. our song was made in the garage, on a tape machine

A great ,moment in music history? Perhaps.
As linux users, many around the world lacking resource for the
big production studio, 2011s best gear, and gigabytes of
error-defeating software, its good to see a winner emerge,
from beyond the commercial norms. 8)
wolftune
Established Member

Re: FooFighters bring it at the Grammies

Post by wolftune »

I like this sentiment, but it seems a little reactionary too. I mean, Aphex Twin is genious fascinating music, for example. You don't get that from strumming guitar in the garage. The problems with today's music aren't the tools, it's the attitudes and how the tools are used.
Aaron Wolf
Music teacher, scholar
http://wolftune.com
Tailer

Post by Tailer »

wolftune wrote:I like this sentiment, but it seems a little reactionary too. I mean, Aphex Twin is genious fascinating music, for example. You don't get that from strumming guitar in the garage. The problems with today's music aren't the tools, it's the attitudes and how the tools are used.
True. There are few people who like linux music. These people are like a special caste of the chosen ones. But I doubt there'll be others who are not into it who will understand its awesomeness. But let's hope for the best
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

To me the whole point is having something to say. Technology, and technique, just add new paths to expression, as long as you don't use them just for the sake of it. Bob Dylan does not have a great voice, but he gets his message through. The Ramones' guitar player played only a F chord, which he moved along the neck as reguired :) On the other hand, a well crafted Megadeth solo is a piece of goldsmithing, and the hiper-archi-mega-multilayered songs of, say, Pet Shop Boys or Jean Michel Jarre are probably impossible to replay live.

The same is valid for computers. Many musicians probably do not even need to know what an OS is. Many car racers probably do not know how the guts of a car work. Otoh, if you happen to like mechanics, maybe you can use it to become better too...

Just some random thoughts
slowpick
Established Member

Post by slowpick »

More random thoughts,
Those who are not 'the stars', can, with enough effort, usually achieve a desired sound.
The tools are here, and when we lack mastery of the instruments, things can be pieced together
over time. Both 'genious fascinating music', and 'strumming in the garage' benefit from
having that something special to say. Simple music can convey the deepest message, and the most
sophisticated music, can promote simple and memorable joys. Our imagination can fill the spaces.
Sometimes it even translates the message beyond, or far differently, than the authors version.
Sometimes the author hopes for exactly that :)
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

there's smth that can bring linux music to grammy. it's called the internet of course because the amount of times the video was watched means a lot for the music industry. bieber (sorry for this example) became popular this way, and of course to make people go linuxmusic we need a kind of a computer boom (remember nuclear boom when tesla or whatever it was became trendy). this will lead the masses right into our welcoming hands