collaberating

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

davidfrost
Established Member

collaberating

Post by davidfrost »

So anyways I'm starting a new side project with music. I want to do something collaberating over the internet, via e-mail. This one is going to be a mix of the punk, metal, modern rock stuff I grew up with with a lot of industrial stuff in it as well. Let me know if your interested!
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Re: collaberating

Post by Scary Hallo »

Yes I'm interested. Maybe you can give me more details what you have in mind. But I like the idea.
Or send me a PM with your Email, ICQ or whatever.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

I would be interested also.
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

Don't you think handling this thing by e-mail is a bit complicated?
Sending files back and forth may be very nerving, especially if
there are many collaborators. Did you think about handling this via indabamusic.
This would make things much easier and i would be interested, too.
Looking forward to look back what happens now

Listen to my music at:
https://www.jamendo.com/artist/373939/zwenny
davidfrost
Established Member

Post by davidfrost »

Basically the idea I have in mind is a pretty artsy and progressive mix of a lot of things. Basically more toward industrial-rock than anything else with lots of noise elements, glitching effects, ethnic instruments, and tons of ambience. Basically I wanted to do something that combined the punk, metal, and modern rock that I grew up on and played guitar in with the artsy and progressive electronic things I'm into and play now. As far as file sharing I'll definitly look into some things. E-mail is one option. So are peer to peer file sharing programs (I want to try one called "Giver"), but sure I'm up for whatever makes you guys comfortable so let me know what your ideas are as far as how to get our stuff out to each other. Anyways I'll be back on later. tty then.
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Kompoz is one option. I've been using dropbox for some collaboration, but projects bigger than 2GB would have a problem.
davidfrost
Established Member

Post by davidfrost »

I'm looking into kompoz and the other thing now.
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

Kompoz looks very nice. Does somebody know if there are any limitations like it is in indabamusic?
File space limitations or features that are only available by a charged account?
I like the feature that you can set up a license (i've seen several Creative Commons licensed projects)
to your work and the embed option. That's really in the matter of open source not like indabamusic.
What a pity, that i haven't found this site before i've found indabamusic :(

Listen to my music at:
SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

On kompoz a pay account will allow you to contribute more types of files to a project. I don't recall what the other differences are.

The DAW on indaba looks interesting. Does that work well or does it just get in the way?
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

SR wrote:The DAW on indaba looks interesting. Does that work well or does it just get in the way?
So far i haven't used it really. Just clicked a little bit around in it and it is promising,
but you don't need to use it. You can upload individual tracks as well as mixed ones.
If we compare indaba and kompoz there are these advantages:
  • Indaba has a built-in DAW (web application), Kompoz doesn't seem to have this
  • Kompoz has no file space limitation, indaba user are limited with 200MB (for free)
  • You can upload any file format as free user in indaba, in Kompoz only mp3, midi, pdf
  • In Indaba you can comment within the waveform of a file, that's not possible in Kompoz
So we have to find out by ourselves which features we need.

Listen to my music at:
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Re: collabOrating

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

In spite of this being a rather old thread, good old Audacity may come in handy, if exchanging musical material, per email, between two or more musicians is required.

Audacity is FREE, very user-friendly and brings loads of extras! And it's pretty much Press-(the Record button)-'n-Play!

Subsequently, save your effort as a Project (or Compressed Project, in case of larger files) and attach it to an email. The receiving end will open it and may want to put in some edits or add a new track.

There is no "cap" on the number of tracks inserted. The only limitation is how much your system can handle.

Job done!

tnob