TIP: CHECK OUT 'RECORDING REVOLUTION'

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

TIP: CHECK OUT 'RECORDING REVOLUTION'

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

My home studio needs a drastic overhaul, so I have done quite a bit of online research, over the last few months, on how best to achieve that. And time and again it so happens, whilst being at it, that I dig up jewels I didn't consciously go for.

Recording Revolution is just such a one:

https://www.recordingrevolution.com

Recording Revolution started back in 2009. Below is part of its mission statement:

The Recording Revolution was founded by me, Graham Cochrane, a freelance recording and mix engineer living in Tampa, Florida.

As a life long singer/songwriter and musician my passion for recording and mixing has grown from the bedroom studio, to university (where I studied audio production), to multi-million dollar studios, to fortune 500 software companies, and all the while freelancing for artists and bands world wide.

If you’re looking for the truth about what it takes to get great sounding recordings and mixes in your home studio, then you’re going to love my way of thinking and teaching.

The bit printed in bold does look like any other PR boasting, doesn't it, at first glance? But truly: since first beginnings, Graham's recording advice has been making home recordists all over the planet really sit up and listen. Why? For me personally, the blog below has been one hell of an eye-opener:

https://www.recordingrevolution.com/if- ... -is-wrong/

Graham's DAW, software and hardware recommendations are, without exception, all in the proprietary realm. Nothing much there for Linux users, superficially. But even then I can't recommend his tutorials highly enough. So do take some time out to sit down and sample Grahams blogs and videos on recording and mixing (open the website and just click on 'Blogs', in the top right corner of your screen). But I'd like to draw your attention to this audio tutorial especially:

https://www.myrecordingrevolution.com/p/gift-10steps

You probably have to register to get to it, but it's worth its weight in gold!

Enjoy!

Veerstryngh Thynner
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Re: TIP: CHECK OUT 'RECORDING REVOLUTION'

And that, 42low, is exactly why I qualified that bluster with this:
The bit printed in bold does look like any other PR boasting, doesn't it, at first glance?
Not even North-Korea's Kim dynasty (grandfather, father, and son) has a lease on The Universal Truth. Even though state mythology has it that each of these guys was born a god. In spite, perhaps, of their wives complaining of sweaty socks, progressive eczema, or frightful snoring hubby takes home, at the end of each day, after another bout of fruitful dictatorshipping. But you'll never ever hear of that, do you?

Anyone claiming to have The Universal Truth is either a despot or a sect leader. No other option possible. However, I assure you, 42low, Graham Cochrane isn't anything like that. And incidentally: your three decades of recording nous are really impressive. Hats off! Honestly. But does that also mean that you now have stopped learning?

If that's truly your opinion, that's fine with me. And I mean this in the kindest way possible. But Graham Cochrane emphasises the 'psychology', if you will, of home recording, rather, than crude flogging of the next "absolutely essential" must-have (as most multitracking websites seem to have a habit of). And because of this very aspect, Graham genuinely stands out from the crowd! Sincerely. So in case I have tickled anyone else's curiosity, DO have a peek in. I bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Veerstryngh Thynner
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

funny you posted that as I've been getting Graham's emails for a long time and he's very helpful.
In fact I was just looking at the latest vid.

love it!
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

I get his emails too and they are useful. He was the one who first clued me up to mixing at lower volumes and also using mono in mixes to check for frequency clashes (I use a LADSPA plug in, when you put a mix into mono and an instrument disappears you know you have a problem :D ).
Nachei
Established Member

Post by Nachei »

The guy is like an institution in Internet and he for sure helps a lot of people. (His buddy Joe Gilder is also interesting and very entertaining).

I have a lot to be thankful to them both; I've used a lot of the free stuff they produce; for example, I turned Graham's "10 minutes to a better mix" into a standard list that used for my mixes for some time. (One thing that series makes you realize is what great chops he has; in the minute 1 of the 10 I usually was lying on the floor, stumbling upon some prep work I had forgotten to do, a menu option I couldn't find, etc...)

Using that mixing list, however, showed me that not all of his stuff applies in my case; I think this might have to do with we playing different musical styles; very often I've missed the existence of a Graham Cochrane of metal/punk because he explains things with great clarity, and his videos are superwell crafted (for example, when he mentions a certain knob, the rest of the screen dims, so it is impossible for you to get lost).

As a musician, he is also a delicate singer, with a gift for melodies. Too sugary for my preferences sometimes, but I did enjoy his albums "The Tree" and "What lies beyond". To me this kind of practical validation is important, because YouTube is full of self-appointed "experts" who don't deliver anything but their "advice".
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Actually I received an email not too long ago that a bunch of them have gotten together and they are running an online recording engineering school. Graham and Joe are involved along with a few of the other really good help that you find on YouTube.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Mon cher 42low,

I'm under the impression that a huge misunderstanding is at play here. First of all, I assure you that I'm not in any way angry with you. On the contrary: I agree with most of what you write, in your response to my opening bid. What's more: I even think that we are broadly on the same page in attitude, too!

Secondly, I didn't at any moment have you in my visor, in what I wrote about dictators and sect leaders, if that's what you think. Besides, these remarks were supposed to be firmly tongue-in-cheek - but that, apparently, didn't come quite across as originally intended. My arrow was rather directed at all those websites in the online firmament claiming to be the nec plus ultra on the subject of [...fill in any one you like...]. Including Graham's, in his introduction - since it's such a silly claim to make. And, generally speaking, impossible to uphold, I suppose, in the long run. We're all fallible people, after all.

So if I inadvertently caused any offence, I sincerely apologise for that. That really wasn't my intention at all. Honestly. That said though, I'm still curious about one thing.

I'm not in a band any more, but I have been performing for some 37 years. And as to home recording: I started out when analogue "consumer" multitracking was only just taking off, However, the first "rumblings" of my present "digital" home studio occurred only some 7 years ago.

I continue to find 'digital' a really steep learning curve. Graham Cochrane, though, has a knack of always succeeding in teaching even old dogs like me new tricks - small incremental step by small incremental step. So here's my question: since you and I seem not that far apart in musical experience, do you feel that you are still learning? On recording and music fronts alike, I mean?

To 42low AND everybody else participating in this discussion:

A website with a similar theme as Graham's is John Holt's The Audio Journey. And googling only those last three words will save you a lot of time, I can tell you in advance. John is British, an awfully nice and helpful guy, and, like Graham, a thorough professional. Also recommended.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Hi 42low,

As I wrote previously, anyone with a claim on the one, absolute, universal "truth" is either dictator (e.g. North-Korea's self-appointed Kim dynasty) or sect leader (far too many, world-wide). On- as well as offline. Like you, I have no truck with like people of such bent.

So we are agreed on that, I take it....

Veerstryngh Thynner
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I used to get his emails. When he mentionned that there's nothing to learn from the pros because their environment is different from what a the one of a typical home artist is started to have doubts. That was sometime ago, I stopped receiving his emails or should I say his advertisement since after all nothing is free. In retrospect his emails will not explain why stuff his done, will not explain the basics, the audio notions which can be used as tools. The tools are not the plugins, far from it. The tool is knowledge. And knowledge is not about hints and tips.

So that was at a time when I wanted to learn and was looking for a good source of information. I still want to learn and I am learn and I have found a good source that communicates not only knowledge but passion and is backed up by having worked at remixing Jimi Hendrix, working with Whitney Houston, David Byrne, James Taylor, David Bowie. So yes, I go against the "Revolution" advice. But I also go along with learning how audio works. And this is the greatest tool. NOT EASY. This is real learning work as if you were in class. No hints no tips no shortcuts no fluff. In fact there's only one video on youtube in which you actually see the guy, in a Presonus advert. Very low key, but what passion and what knowledge. One drawback if you wish: one must want to learn.

I posted about Michael White elesewhere here it's in the producer area. Here's for instace the curriculum for the Loundness course:

The Program

Each of the 8 Classes itemized below includes over 2 hours of detailed information and audio demonstration. The lessons will be divided up into individual videos as listed below. You do not need to attend the Live Classes to participate! All Live Classes will be recorded and available on the website the same evening. You are free to watch each class at your own convenience.

Live classes will begin Thursday, July 6 @ 4 PM US-Pacific Time. Links to the live classes will be provided 30 minutes before the start of class by email.

Class 1: Mix Preparation for Loudness (July 6)

This class starts by defining loudness. and demonstrates the most common fundamental mix approaches used to create loud mixes.

Loudness Perception, Measurement & Online Streaming Standards
Setting Loudness Targets
Sonic Density and Loudness
Loudness Mixing Technique #1: Dry Mono – Wet Stereo
Loudness Mixing Technique #2: LCR Mixing

Class 2: Compression Techniques For Loudness (July 13)

Compressors are the most powerful tool for controlling the dynamics of music. This does not mean you are necessarily removing the dynamic, but rather, making the dynamic more perceptible by making it more consistent.

Averaging (RMS) Compression for Loudness
Rhythmic Compression for Loudness
Vintage Compression Techniques for Loudness
Vintage Limiters Techniques for Loudness
Digital Compression Techniques for Loudness

Class 3: EQ Techniques for Loudness (July 20)

All frequencies are not created equal. Each frequency area has a specific role to play in the perception of loudness and must be processed accordingly.

Frequency Target Zones for Loudness
Vintage & Digital EQ Techniques for Loudness
2 Point EQ Techniques
3 Point EQ Techniques
Dynamic EQ Techniques to Achieve Loudness

Class 4: Creative Loudness Processing Techniques (July 27)

This class demonstrates the many ways you can use loudness techniques to shape sound sources creatively and establish a unique tonal character for your mix.

Defining Creative Loudness
Creative Loudness for Drums and Percussion
Creative Loudness for Bass
Creative Loudness for Guitars
Creative Loudness for Keys
Creative Loudness for Vocals

Class 5: Tape Saturation & Distortion Processing (August 3)

Tape saturation is a powerful way to preserve warmth and dynamics while achieving loudness characteristic. Distortion processing expands on the creative processing techniques realm.

Tape Saturation Basics
Multitrack Tape Saturation
Tube Saturation for Loudness
Solid State Saturation for Loudness
Digital Saturation for Loudness

Class 6: Parallel Processing for Loudness (August 10)

One powerful way to achieve loudness while maintaining control of the dynamics of your mix is to use parallel processing. It allows for quick adjustments to your loudness approach without deconstructing the mix.

Parallel Processing versus Wet/Dry Inserts
Techniques for Focus and Hype
Techniques for Density and Solidity
Techniques for Depth and Movement
Parallel Saturation Techniques

Class 7: Mix Buss Processing for Loudness (August 17)

Mix stem and Mix Bus processing are the final stages before mastering and the best place to pull together all of the loudness work from the previous techniques. There is always room for loudness here if you need it.

Mix Stem Processing for Loudness
Parallel Stem Processing for Loudness
Mix Bus Processing for Loudness
Parallel Mix Bus Processing for Loudness
Mix Bus Limiters

Class 8: Mastering for Loudness (August 24)

Whether you are mastering your own work or not, you must understand these essential mastering techniques. Processing at this level is very different than on the stereo mix buss and it will help to solidify the mix and meet your loudness target.

Framing the Mix
Mid Band Compression for Loudness
Low Level Compression for Loudness
Tape Saturation and Exciters
Brick Wall Limiting – Reaching Your Loudness Target
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

From Michael White, here's 'Choosing a Reverb', to give an idea of the lessons. 25 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBaq3_GDAJg
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Of course there's no absolute truth but that's not the point. There are techniques in the physical world and audio is physical, plus the emotional part of music. For instance with sight we can see the hood of a car at the corner of a building while the rest of the car is hidden. But our mind will immediately make the rest of the car, of course. The same with bass sounds. The mind will build up the missing bass sounds, you just have to suggest them clearly. This is from Michael White (Whitney Houston, Mick Jagger, David Bowie, David Byrne, etc...) I'm saying this as an example but it's an example I do not currently master yet. And I'm not sure it can be boiled down to an easy hint/tip for the busy artist who does not have the time to learn. Because a mix is an interactive sum of many minute parts. Each single little thing can have the proverbial effect of a butterfly on the other side of the earth affecting the weather.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

jonetsu wrote:In retrospect his emails will not explain why stuff his done, will not explain the basics, the audio notions which can be used as tools. The tools are not the plugins, far from it. The tool is knowledge. And knowledge is not about hints and tips.
I thought his emails were just summaries of his videos, the videos explain lots of basics and why he is doing what he is doing. I've never paid for anything but I think his video series is fantastic. No matter how good you are at mixing there is something to learn, even if it is just a different way of thinking about the mix.

I would defend his 'truth' statement as well. I don't think he was ever claiming to be the sole source of good information or the only way to do it (he often explores many different approaches anyway), this is obviously partly just a marketing thing, but also he is pushing the idea that you can get a lot done in simple ways and you don't need lots of fancy mind-bending plugins to get a good mix, just balance, eq and compression goes a long way. In this respect I think it is a truth, often missed and forgotten by many of us. Perhaps his statement would have been more accurate if the word chosen had been 'essence' rather than 'truth'. Either way, I think he's certainly one of the better sources around.
Last edited by sysrqer on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Hi Jonetsu,

Thank you for joining in. And really extensively, too.
Jonetsu writes: I posted about Michael White elsewhere here it's in the producer area.
For people like myself, the Producer's Area is like USA's Area 51: for some mysterious reason LM locks me consistently out of it. So I never had the remotest chance of reading that post you're writing of anyhow. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us common mortals.

Yet I totally agree with you that Graham Cochrane's software & hardware advice doesn't have much use for Linux users. That's all consistently in the proprietary bracket. A commentator on one of Graham's blogs asked him straight, once, to involve Linux users a bit more. He said he he had already been thinking about - but upon that contemplation no meaningful action ever followed.

That said, though, It can't have escaped your notice that most home recording websites are just flogging "must-have" ware left, right an centre. And, typically, in the same breath incessantly whipping up their custom to buy, buy, buy. This, that or the other, with lots of jargon designed to impress ladled on: it just never stops! Graham, on the other hand, calmly explains the basics in clear and plain English. Take, for instance, his stance that equipment already owned will do the job just as fine. For me, that one was a real eye-opener. One of many to follow.

With the one exception of John Holt's TheAudioJourney, you REALLY don't come across views like that anywhere else on the net. But Graham's approach seriously moves you to stop, listen - and ask YOURSELF questions, I'd argue, with respect to your own home recording practice. And that particularly, in my opinion, is what makes The Recording Revolution such a breath of truly fresh air. Rare too, maybe, is that Graham does shirk back from sharing gaffes and misjudgements he himself made, in his career, and uses these to teach and, most of all, EDUCATE. A major difference between these two, in my view, in that the latter goes considerably deeper!
sysreqr writes: Perhaps his statement would have been more accurate if the word chosen had been 'essence' [/b]rather than 'truth'.
Absolutely! You totally hit the nail on the head here, as far as I'm concerned!

Veerstryngh Thynner
Last edited by Veerstryngh Thynner on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

sysrqer wrote:[ ...] you can get a lot done in simple ways and you don't need lots of fancy mind-bending plugins to get a good mix, just balance, eq and compression goes a long way.
Indeed. "plugins" are like focusing entirely on hammer and nails when wanting to build a house. What about the plan ? What about the architecture ? Can't build a house by comparing brands of hammers and the metal they are made with and their design. This is very basic. I used to think that plugins are needed w/o actually knowing why, just throw them in the mix and turn a few knobs, the feeling will do the rest. Nope. Feelings play and important part but the foundation must nevertheless be 'sound'. No use of getting a very nice paint work on the house if it will crumble down in a few weeks.

This said, I am a bit allergic to people using a lot of advertisement tactics. Right now I see on the Recording revolution page a timer with some 12 minutes left and counting to register to a webminar. OK, can't it be recorded and available at any time thereafter ? Now at 10 minutes and counting down ... :shock: :?

EDIT: The timer on that Recording Revolution webminar page has now reached 0. So I do a refresh of the page. What happens ? It restarts counting down from 12 minutes left to register to the webminar. COME ON ! :roll:
Last edited by jonetsu on Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:52 am, edited 3 times in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Jonetsu writes: I posted about Michael White elsewhere here it's in the producer area.
Veerstryngh Thynner wrote: For people like myself, the Producer's Area is like USA's Area 51: for some mysterious reason LM locks me consistently out of it. So I never had the remotest chance of reading that post you're writing of anyhow. Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us common mortals.
Yes. I asked why a few months ago and never got a reply. Why is this section 'hidden' ? Very strange.
Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:Rare too, maybe, is that Graham does shirk back from sharing gaffes and misjudgements he himself made, in his career, and uses these to teach and, most of all, EDUCATE. A major difference between these two, in my view, in that the latter goes considerably deeper!
Try something. Go through the "Choosing a Reverb" video. 25 minutes. It's a lesson. No entertainement provided by a presenter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBaq3_GDAJg

Cheers.