How to reach public?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Re: How to reach public?

Post by folderol »

Something a bit more positive (I hope).

Over here there seems to be a slow, but steady increase in pubs putting on live music. One that I regularly visit for Sunday lunch, had none about three years ago, but now they have a Jazz night every Wednesday, and quite often a rock/pop band on Fridays.

Also, the folk music scene over here is very strong and positively incestuous. You see the same people popping up in different combinations with dozens of groups. At the same time, new people are coming in all the time, sometimes tucked away on the 'back' line at first until they find their place.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

folderol wrote:Something a bit more positive (I hope).

Over here there seems to be a slow, but steady increase in pubs putting on live music. One that I regularly visit for Sunday lunch, had none about three years ago, but now they have a Jazz night every Wednesday, and quite often a rock/pop band on Fridays.

Also, the folk music scene over here is very strong and positively incestuous. You see the same people popping up in different combinations with dozens of groups. At the same time, new people are coming in all the time, sometimes tucked away on the 'back' line at first until they find their place.
Hi Will!

That is good to hear! I would wager to guess that the majority of jazzers and folkies are 40+? Certainly it is true that the pendulum swings and live music never dies completely, it often cycles in popularity. The karaoke craze of 25 years ago threatened to put bands out of business but it didn't turn out that way. It's funny the busiest night in our local pub is Monday nights when the retired and 70+ Bluegrass gang hold court, hard to find a seat in the house! I do think the pre-millennial generation has a bit more habitual exposure to live music in various places (pub, church, social clubs, festivals, family celebrations, dances, etc) and many of these things are shifting which I'd guess will change the value put on having live music as pervasively available in the future.

Enjoy the folk and jazz while it lasts, and keep putting out those great Yoshimi tunes! :D
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

You can market your music easily enough. Upload your tracks to youtube, bandcamp, internetarchive, create a facebook page, submit your track links to loads of subreddits on reddit, get very active on twitter, create instagram posts, get versed in the prolific use of hashtags, submit your tracks to local or national radio/internet radio (BBC Introducing in UK etc). Just get with the times basically. Easier said than done but with some effort it can pay off.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

sysrqer wrote:You can market your music easily enough. Upload your tracks to youtube, bandcamp, internetarchive, create a facebook page, submit your track links to loads of subreddits on reddit, get very active on twitter, create instagram posts, get versed in the prolific use of hashtags, submit your tracks to local or national radio/internet radio (BBC Introducing in UK etc). Just get with the times basically. Easier said than done but with some effort it can pay off.
^ And to add to all that, add some video and put some effort and imagination into the filming, editing & production. Acceptable quality cameras are fairly cheap and easily obtainable nowadays and there are excellent libre video editors like Kdenlive or Flowblade & back end software like mlt and ffmpeg.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

42low wrote:Very interesting infirmation. For most that about the pro busines (thx @dave an @qmag).

My question though was more about the non-pro's.
It's quit easy to promote a song, even on itunes and so. Only have to sign up, agree with (high?) percentages, an pay about 50 bucks per song.
But that's not a querilla style marketing i'm looking for.
Hi 42low,

I've used this in the past: http://www.cdbaby.com/

I don't know if there is something similar in The Netherlands? If you take advantage of their distribution sales ($29 USD/whole album) it gives your music access to all the big digital markets (iTunes, Spotify, Google Play, Amazon, Tidal, Deezer, Youtube Music + many more). They also offer promotion tools like affordable merch (t-shirts etc.) and even website hosting plus they have a pretty good sampling of Indie music marketing seminars and articles.

There are other similar services out there as well. My experience with CD Baby has been pretty positive, I've made enough money to cover my album submission fees but something you need to be aware of is that Spotify is king and is killing iTunes and Google's market. You get paid FAR less from Spotify than from the other major online Digital music retailers so you need a LOT of presence and followers on Spotify to make your money back.
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Right now it seems the best options are:
  • Music distribution
  • Bandcamp
  • Live shows
  • Interactive online shows
Anyone doing anything niche to reach fans (current and potential)?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

If you live in a crowded city, the easiest way to reach the public is to simply extend your arms during rush hour. Unfortunately, that's also the easiest way to be sued for sexual harassment.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Transit_of_Io
Established Member

Post by Transit_of_Io »

The definition of "live" music has been shifting over the decades. EDM shows tend to do very well these days. I have no information about how to get in on that as a maker, but people flock to them by the thousands. (Some of those thousands are surely burned-out former nurses who developed a streak of nihilism over the past two years.)
Jeax
Established Member

Post by Jeax »

Found something. You can get reviews and blog positioning with SubmitHub. Learn more from the hi54 blogs.