Synthmaker bundle

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

k brown
Established Member

Re: Synthmaker bundle

Post by k brown »

Pardon my ignorance - what's an xrun?
Please down load the synths from this folder, not the original Synthmaker Bundle.
https://ln.sync.com/dl/3e98951a0/n5wwiu ... j-htz7j7dr

Website for the plugins: http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

k brown wrote:Pardon my ignorance - what's an xrun?
It's the situation when your hardware/software has no resources to process the incoming/outgoing audio data. This causes clicks/pops or short repeats in the final audio stuff.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Yes; I haven't tested all the synths yet, but they're on the front burner now. I tested 80-Vox and things went fine. Same with b6a, but with a few glitches.
Atticus was not playable, I think the CPU was quite high as well. In a couple cases, the GUI looked nice, but the dials were not readable, so I wasn't able to understand what they were set at (I had to guess).

I'll update with more as I test.. :)

brian

PS. I'm testing on 32-bit, AntiX (Debian). I don't remember the Wine version, but it's the newest in the KXStudio repos.
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

What's the fuss about these synths and why are they getting so much attention here? Am I right that they only run in wine? They certainly look lovely but there are lots of windows synths.
k brown
Established Member

Post by k brown »

Read up on xruns a bit.

If the issue is GUI-related, I'm afraid I just don't know what changes to make there.

Regarding CPU load in general, Atticus is surely the most overstuffed synth I've built, and Synthmaker stuff is rather CPU-hungry to start with.
I did go in and change a few things which helped a bit - the biggest difference was made by having oscillators switch off when their output Volume is turned all the way down. Making sure any unused oscs are turned all the way down helps a lot. Also be sure modulation inputs that have their amounts all the way down (not being used), have no source selected (showing: ". . .").

Re-download from the link below and see if it's any better.
Please down load the synths from this folder, not the original Synthmaker Bundle.
https://ln.sync.com/dl/3e98951a0/n5wwiu ... j-htz7j7dr

Website for the plugins: http://kbrownsynthplugins.weebly.com/
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I know the author of the plugins can't help, but maybe someone else can.

Why do these plugins look so bad on my machine? For example, this synth is supposed to look like this:

On my computer, it looks like this:

That happens to all the plugins in this pack. Does anyone have any idea?
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Yes, I can confirm the problems with the GUI. I get this message a lot in the terminal:

fixme:gdiplus:GdipDrawPath graphics object has no HDC

Don't know if that helps...

brian
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I thought I had seen someone post a shot where the plugin looked good, but I just searched the thread again and I can't find it. I must have seen one of k brown's own shots and mistaken it for someone else's. :?
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Here's my GUI result for Synthegrated15A. Joystick responds fine:
synthegrated15a.png
synthegrated15a.png (139.53 KiB) Viewed 1383 times

brian
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

sysrqer wrote:What's the fuss about these synths and why are they getting so much attention here? Am I right that they only run in wine? They certainly look lovely but there are lots of windows synths.
I don't see any fuss really, it's just a rather big package of plugins that are new on the block, and some people are interested. Chances are you will find something you like in such a large collection.

Besides, the author himself is here sparing his attention, which makes room for questions, comments and general conversation.

They only run on Wine, but isn't Wine specifically made for Linux? Isn't that how Carla and Airwave run Windows plugins? Reaper also gets a sizable amount of attention here, already did even before there was a Linux version being made. :)
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

The b6a synth seems to perform well: low CPU, few if any xruns. The GUI:
b6a.png
b6a.png (125.3 KiB) Viewed 1382 times

brian
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Luc wrote:
sysrqer wrote:What's the fuss about these synths and why are they getting so much attention here? Am I right that they only run in wine? They certainly look lovely but there are lots of windows synths.
I don't see any fuss really, it's just a rather big package of plugins that are new on the block, and some people are interested.
I think a 4 page thread for plugins which don't even run natively on linux is quite a lot of attention 8)
Luc wrote: Chances are you will find something you like in such a large collection.
Absolutely, they do look incredible but it's not like there is a lack of choice of windows plugins to run in wine. I was just curious why these ones were getting attention here rather than the million others around. Are they open source?
Luc wrote: Besides, the author himself is here sparing his attention, which makes room for questions, comments and general conversation.
That's cool, it would be great if he could release a native version for us, I would be extremely interested then.
Luc wrote: They only run on Wine, but isn't Wine specifically made for Linux? Isn't that how Carla and Airwave run Windows plugins?
Not sure what that has to do with anything. Yes, carla and airwave use wine, and?
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Luc wrote:
I don't see any fuss really, it's just a rather big package of plugins that are new on the block, and some people are interested. Chances are you will find something you like in such a large collection.

Besides, the author himself is here sparing his attention, which makes room for questions, comments and general conversation.

They only run on Wine, but isn't Wine specifically made for Linux? Isn't that how Carla and Airwave run Windows plugins? Reaper also gets a sizable amount of attention here, already did even before there was a Linux version being made. :)
Successfully running windows applications in linux (through WIne or otherwise) is a feather in the hat of open source. And one more means to promote it.
Aisi, anyway.

brian
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

Code: Select all

Executing w_do_call gdiplus
gdiplus already installed, skipping
:-(
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Luc wrote:

Code: Select all

Executing w_do_call gdiplus
gdiplus already installed, skipping
:-(
This will probably fix that:
Set gdiplus to Native (Windows) or "Native then Buitlin", both worked on my system.
Edit Override_100.png
Edit Override_100.png (6.49 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
winecfg:
Wine configuration_101.png
Wine configuration_101.png (27.56 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Here's my screenshot
tonus 2813_mod (GUI)_097.png
tonus 2813_mod (GUI)_097.png (132.78 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
note: for other plugins to work (Xfer OTT, Limiter No6) I had to disable d2d1

hope this helps