Need help understanding aliki

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nick87720z
Established Member

Need help understanding aliki

Post by nick87720z »

Hello. I'm trying to learn using the aliki. Found manual for version 0.1. It helped to understand some functions... what i failed to find is what files need to be captured.

For experiment i have two stereo files. One includes completely dry peace of recording, and second - completely wet (made) reverberation for it, made with GxReverb from guitarix pack. Since files loading is missing in aliki (hope, not for long), i captured them from ardour with this patchbay:
[ ardour_dry_track -> aliki channels 1,2 -> dry-capture.ald ]
[ ardour_wet_track -> aliki channels 3,4 -> wet-capture.ald ]

What to do with them later - i'm out of idea.
Now i'm going to "Convol" dialog, it is empty. Pressing Apply gives this (note, it is visible only in Log mode):
After "Apply to all" it becomes this:

Exporting to wav and trying just to listen, i get sterile harmonic artifacts, nothing about impulse.
May it need just one recording, including both dry and wet, just like it should be listened?
However i thought, such tools always need pure and processed signals to extract impulse.
tramp
Established Member

Re: Need help understanding aliki

Post by tramp »

Hi

You've made your way to it already.
Just, struggled at the very final end. The result is nothing you've to listen to by a file player, it is a Impulse Response File (IR).
Just load it into a convolution engine like IR.lv2 or Klangfalter and play to it, to enjoy your work. :D
On the road again.
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

Honestly, i expected it sounding like an impulse (zero-length wight noise chunk), processed with same effect.
I already made experiment, when i only understood the convolver's meaning, and i tried to just get it working: created such impulse in audacity, applied "C* StereoReverb II" effect (don't remember exact name), and this impulse gave me same reverb, excepting missing spectral blur, what made the reverb slightly more "crystal-like".

And i expected Aliki making same template, but based on more ideal impulse.
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

Could there be some restrictions for source files - by length, complecity (i used nearly 15 seconds of dry sound)?
Yet last time i tried to make processed file mixed with dry, as it must be heared, but result is same.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Oh yea, sorry, I've mixed stuff up with specmatch. Aliki is meant to be a Impulse Response Measuring tool, it didn't compare files.
So to get what you expect, you need to send the sweep from aliki to ardour, in ardour you've loaded the reverb plugin, and in Aliki you capture the output (from the sweep file) from Ardour. From this file aliki could deconvolve the IR file.
On the road again.
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

Many, many thanks.
I have yet one question, not about aliki, but probably too simple for new thread.
I recently understood purpose of DRC, though did not try even to learn it... Am i right, that it is the right way to prevent the loop between microphone and monitor?
Before i understood DRC purpose, i already was sure, there must be more effective ways for that, than suppressing loop-prone frequencies, ideally making sound too awful for music performance, good only for conversations - at least for me. :)