Does anyone make music for supporting a cause?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Does anyone make music for supporting a cause?

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I make music and give it away for free for supporting resource-based economics.

The reason why is because I've been reading an article about 25 Things You Can Do To Help Create A Resource Based Economy and #20 talks about getting involved with developers who develop open-source technologies. By "technologies" I'm thinking "software" such as Carla and MusE Sequencer that I use and report bugs and help improve software.

Here's another article titled Giving it Away: How Free Music Makes More Than Sense and let me quote what the article said:
When you talk about free music, people who work in the music business will tell you you’ve gone too far. They’ll say you’re devaluing the art itself, and that once you go there, there is no coming back. I suppose I would agree if I thought that music’s only value was monetary. But I don’t.

Music does have monetary value. But more than its monetary value is its emotional value, its relational value, its artistic value, even its spiritual value. When you make meaningful connections with people based on artistic self-expression, I think you’re actually increasing the value of that art based on the many ways it’s valued.
While I agree that music has monetary value, I value emotional, relational, artistic, and spiritual value far beyond monetary value. I do not know why the music industry would think that by giving away music for free, I'm devaluing art itself.

In my opinion, it cost money to get the best-quality sample libraries I want and even if I have the money to afford one, the library may only work with either Windows or Mac, most notably the symphony orchestra library, and that's really holding me back. Sure, NI Kontakt might work under Wine (I don't know about HALion), but it can be a hit and miss. And I don't like to activate software (DRM) over the Internet in Linux unless I have a Mac as a stable platform for making music. But then, I use Linux to support the cause (resource-based economics) and sample libraries that require special software in order for to use do not sit well with me.

Supporting resource-based economics for a cause does not mean I'm a cheapskate. And just because I'm a cheapskate does not mean I cannot afford to buy Digital Sound Factory Studio Orchestra (it was on sale for $99) and Zenhiser 80s Retro Drummer. I used them both for my two songs and it turned out well for me.

And come to think of it, I did come across a thread that I've read called "Open Source HD Orchestra Library," but it never worked out. But if it did, wouldn't the open-source community get involved in resource-based economics?

I would like to know your thoughts in that.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Lyberta
Established Member

Re: Does anyone make music for supporting a cause?

Post by Lyberta »

Interesting articles.

I make music for humanity because I want to maximize my contribution before I die.