Reproducing traditional instruments digitally in Ubuntu

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Reproducing traditional instruments digitally in Ubuntu

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Greetings all,

Inspired by a post in this forum (Going Beyond Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra –13. July 2013), I went online to discover more about Sonatina.

I found some music, on YouTube, written and performed with Sonatina – the sound quality of which didn't seem really convincing, to my mind. And, apart from this, a sole tutorial recorded on a Windows machine, apparently – so I'm not sure now as to whether Sonatina is going to work on my main (Ubuntu) platform as well.

Ubuntu is eminently reliable. This, mainly, is why I switched from Windows, several years ago. I currently have Ubuntu DreamStudio 12.4 LTS as my main platform, with Windows 7 Home Premium, as auxiliary, in a VirtualBox.

Many may not be aware that some notation/sequencing software could also operate by way of 'musical instrument generator' – i.e. audio playback of musical instruments/orchestral sections not really commanded/close at hand captured on external recording hardware first and, subsequently, fed to Audacity or Ardour; or, alternatively, directly to Audacity or Ardour on a different machine. Sibelius, on Windows, has creatively been used as such, in my case: for recording purposes, for instance.

Normally, selection of just a single note/bar allows unlimited audio playback. But because of Windows presently being in a VirtualBox, Sibelius won't even respond to USB MIDI interface: in VirtualBox, USB just doesn't work. Thus, my only option is writing a score first, note for note, and recording the audio for each separate instrument next.

This is very much time-consuming, of course. Hence, I'd really like a Linux alternative from where to glean musical instrument audio playback. And so I'm wondering now if there's any scope, in Ubuntu, for digitally – and, most importantly, credibly – reproducing traditional instruments: double bass, mandolin, trumpet, trombone, sousaphone, clarinet and sax family (soprano/alto/tenor/baritone/bass) most notably, as far as I'm concerned. I also could do with orchestral string/brass/reed sections.

So a relatively straightforward manner, in Ubuntu, for capturing musical instrument playback – with a little help from piano keyboard and/or USB Audio/MIDI interface – would be very nice. MuseScore and NtED don't qualify, though, since both are allowing just one note at the time.

Incidentally: alternatives mooted for Sonatina (as discussed in Going Beyond Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra) all seem to cost money. Which rather surprises me, to be honest, since I have been under the impression, so far, that paying for software, in Open Source, is rather exceptional.

tnob

i took the liberty of adding a hyperlink to the thread you referenced --raboof
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: Reproducing traditional instruments digitally in Ubuntu

Post by AnthonyCFox »

tnob wrote:audio playback of musical instruments/orchestral sections not really commanded/close at hand captured on external recording hardware first and, subsequently, fed to Audacity or Ardour; or, alternatively, directly to Audacity or Ardour on a different machine.
Hunh?
tnob wrote:Hence, I'd really like a Linux alternative from where to glean musical instrument audio playback.
What?
tnob wrote:And so I'm wondering now if there's any scope, in Ubuntu, for digitally – and, most importantly, credibly – reproducing traditional instruments: double bass, mandolin, trumpet, trombone, sousaphone, clarinet and sax family (soprano/alto/tenor/baritone/bass) most notably, as far as I'm concerned. I also could do with orchestral string/brass/reed sections.
Umm... :?
tnob wrote:...capturing musical instrument playback...
Uhhh, you do you mean recording midi? I'm sure there's something that will work for that. Maybe try Non-Sequencer?
tnob wrote:Incidentally: alternatives mooted for Sonatina (as discussed in Going Beyond Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra) all seem to cost money. Which rather surprises me, to be honest, since I have been under the impression, so far, that paying for software, in Open Source, is rather exceptional.
If you think about the instruments, recording equipment, space, and skill it takes to create something like Sonatina it's a surprise even that is available for free. Digital Sound Factory has orchestral sound packs for a reasonable price (make sure you get the Cakewalk Dimension format if you want it to work with LinuxSampler) https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/dimension_products
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

tnob wrote:I found some music, on YouTube, written and performed with Sonatina – the sound quality of which didn't seem really convincing, to my mind.
Depends on your needs, of course.
a sole tutorial recorded on a Windows machine, apparently – so I'm not sure now as to whether Sonatina is going to work on my main (Ubuntu) platform as well.
Sonatina is an SFZ library, so it will work fine on linux, for example with LinuxSampler, who seems to have a cool list of what features they do and don't support. As you can see there's some bits missing, but all the really important stuff seems to be there.

As for a demo, Nils Gey has done a series of experiment pieces with SSO, the first one is here. While his conclusion is that the library disappoints, do check out his pieces and decide for yourself.

See also http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/instrum ... _orchestra
Many may not be aware that some notation/sequencing software could also operate by way of 'musical instrument generator'
I'm not sure I understand what your use case here is.
So a relatively straightforward manner, in Ubuntu, for capturing musical instrument playback – with a little help from piano keyboard and/or USB Audio/MIDI interface – would be very nice. MuseScore and NtED don't qualify, though, since both are allowing just one note at the time.
So you want to record (polyphonic) MIDI directly from your MIDI keyboard and play it back using an instrument from a sample library? I don't have experience with that myself, but indeed I'd expect some/most of the sequencing applications to support that - have you tried qtractor, rosegarden or ardour3?
alternatives mooted for Sonatina (as discussed in Going Beyond Sonatina Symphonic Orchestra) all seem to cost money. Which rather surprises me, to be honest, since I have been under the impression, so far, that paying for software, in Open Source, is rather exceptional.
There's 2 elements: 'free as in freedom' and 'free as in free beer'. Of course, we prefer our software to be free in both senses. However, we're not neccesarily averse to paying money (for example by backing a crowdfunded project, donating, etc).

We would definitely prefer a free quality symphonic sample library if it were available. Until then, IMHO there's nothing wrong with paying for one when the free ones don't cut the mustard (yet). Of course, initiatives that work towards improving the FLOSS symphonic sample library situation deserve our support.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Thank you for your reaction. Even if it was just 'Huh?' and 'Hmmm'.

The latter showed me that I need to expand a little more on what I'm trying to achieve. So first of all: this is not about MIDI. Or not in the first place, rather. It's about channeling musical instrument audio playback (from notation software, in my case): either to external analogue recording hardware first and to Audacity/Ardour next; or else to Audacity/Ardour directly - musical intrument audio playback thus transformed to a track.

My main platform is DreamStudio 12.04 LTS - with Windows 7 Home Premium, as auxiliary, in VirtualBox. The one and only application available in VirtualBox/Windows is Sibelius (notation software). And the physical musical instruments at my disposal are electric tenor guitar, electric 'G#' guitar, electric ukulele and digital keyboard (with MIDI in/out).

I don't own a double bass (yet). And I don't play brass, reeds, bowed instruments - or any other (pitched or unpitched) in the symphony orchestra range. That is to say: at present, a digital orchestra of a kind - in the form of Sibelius - is close at hand, in principle. The only thing, however, is that I can't get to it in the way I want.

Let's say that a uke/guitar/tenor guitar score in Audacity or Ardour needs a double bass. Ergo, a fresh double bass staff in Sibelius is opened and one single - empty! - bar selected. And with assistance of a USB MIDI interface and my digital piano, I should now be able to feed the complete double bass line to external analogue recording equipment. Or straight to Audacity/Ardour - if I wish to - by looping the Sibelius audio back, as it were.

This a simple but effective method of turning Sibelius audio output into tracks. No unnecessary complications involved. The only snag, though, is that it won't wash in my current configuration: VirtualBox (and with it, Sibelius) is completely immune to USB input. In other words: VirtualBox/Windows/Sibelius don't respond to USB (e.g. to MIDI interface signal especially). And so my alternative is spending hours, if not days, creating a matching double bass score, note for note, in Sibelius.

Or else finding some substitute: Ubuntu notation software that, similar to Sibelius, offers input of more than one note at a time (so that whole passages can be played in one go). Or a sequencer from which to tap musical instrument audio playback output. But no such thing seems to be available.

MuseScore and NtED allow only one note at a time. Same with Denemo, I believe. And I had a look at Rosegarden before, but found peripheral conditions (i.e. lots of tinkering to see through before a single note can be played) rather discouraging.

So here, once again, the core of my question - the background now a little clearer, I hope.

Is there sequencing/notation in Ubuntu actually capable of producing unlimited halfway decent musical instrument output? Or - better even - some digital orchestra from which separate instruments can be "borrowed"?

Sonatina has already been mentioned. But maybe there are more...?

tnob
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Thanks for your suggestions.

I'm a complete novice, as far as sampling is concerned. But I had a closer look at 1500 Instruments Megapack (https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/cak ... s-volume-9).

Can you please expand a bit on how software like this works?

- Does it operate on a note-by-note basis? Or can indeed whole passages be reproduced in this way?

- How do I know as to whether sfz or sf2 soundfonts are required? And where are these soundfonts to be located?
If I'm not mistaken, they are both in the Ubuntu repository.

- The website referred to also informs me that a virtual synthesizer is included. How does this combine with Linux Sampler?
Or is Linux Sampler a virtual synthesizer already, all by itself?

- I own a M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 that has never been used, so far. 1500 Instrument Megapack may provide an opportunity.

Any idea where I might find instructions as to the correct Pro 88 settings for software like this to work?

- Incidentally: I have been looking for ages for a means of giving my electric tenor guitar credible tenor banjo sound. I just discovered that Bardstown Audio is providing some tenor banjo samples. These are in Gigastudio format, though.

Three questions here:

1) Is it technically feasible to use a string instrument (like my electric tenor guitar) for “playing” those samples?;

2) Is Gigastudio format transferable to Ubuntu, in one way or other?;

3) If yes to both, how exactly?

Thanks again for your help.

tnob
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

tnob wrote: Can you please expand a bit on how software like this works?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_%28music%29
- Does it operate on a note-by-note basis? Or can indeed whole passages be reproduced in this way?
yes
How do I know as to whether sfz or sf2 soundfonts are required? And where are these soundfonts to be located?
If I'm not mistaken, they are both in the Ubuntu repository.
sfz and sf2 are file formats. I don't understand your question.
The website referred to also informs me that a virtual synthesizer is included. How does this combine with Linux Sampler?
Or is Linux Sampler a virtual synthesizer already, all by itself?
the synth is a freebie and has nothing to do with sampling. Linux sampler is a sampler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthesizer
Any idea where I might find instructions as to the correct Pro 88 settings for software like this to work?
google/these forums.

1) Is it technically feasible to use a string instrument (like my electric tenor guitar) for “playing” those samples?;
sort of but it's quite a bit more complex than using a midi instrument. I haven't figured out a good way to do that yet.
Is Gigastudio format transferable to Ubuntu, in one way or other?;
linuxsampler was made for .gig files.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

tnob wrote: 1) Is it technically feasible to use a string instrument (like my electric tenor guitar) for “playing” those samples?;
Yes, it is. Go to YouTube and search for Fishman Triple Play; it's a guitar to midi converter. From what I've seen it's fantastic and the price is reasonable (@$400). It's on my wish list. Oh yeah, it's standards compliant so it will work on Linux. At least the hardware will; it's unlikely the software included will but that's not necessary to use it.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

To Thatch:

Please forgive me for looking stupid. I was a relative latecomer in all matters IT - and sampling is, as yet, terra incognita for me.

My original idea was to capture musical instrument audio playback (as derived from Sonatina Symphony Orchestra, for instance, or Sibelius on Windows) on an analogue recording device. The next step is then to pass on this analogue track to Audacity or Ardour. And the one after that adding more voices in the same manner: Audacity/Ardour - as before - at the receiving end.

To me, this seems the simplest manner of using existing musical instrument sound libraries (i.e Sonatina's or Sibelius's) creatively. And one I'm able to handle besides. A further advantage - from my perspective, anyway - is that it largely seems to sidestep all kinds of complicated setups.

On the other hand: I do see the attractions of sampling. But every time I'm trying to learn more, I'm whacked around the ears with impenetrable jargon - even in these forums. I find that a little intimidating, as absolute beginner in this area. And rather discouraging, too, to be honest: as a consequence, I still can't see the wood for the trees.

This applies to software as well as hardware involved. So could we take this step by step please? I don't yet have a clear image of requirements involved.

To my understanding, Linux Sampler has to be downloaded first.

- Is Linux Sampler run by ALSA or JackCtl?
- What dependencies are required?
- I think I have seen sfz/sf2 soundfonts in the repository. What are they for?
- Will Ubuntu Software Centre install sfz/sf2 soundfonts, or has this to be done manually?
- If the latter, where do they go?
- How do I load libraries? A whole bunch is listed in Wiki, btw:

http://bb.linuxsampler.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11

- Might it be possible to isolate separate Sibelius musical instrument sound files and play those in Linux Sampler?

I'd probably need a sequencer, too. Ardour is on my system already. My preference would be Audacity, though - but I'm not sure Audacity fits the bill, sequencer-wise.

My M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 MIDI workstation (full 88 key piano keyboard) may be best suited to "play" samples, I take it. It comes with a total of 60 buttons/knobs/pans/sliders, though, so working out the correct settings may take some effort and time. However, my old (and very much smaller) Gem digital piano is equipped with MIDI in/out as well.

Now, I figure that a USB MIDI interface will come in the equation here?

And with all this up and ready thus, would I now be able to play, say, Sonatina Symphony Orchestra? Or is there still more I'm not yet aware of?

Speaking of Sonatina: I have found someone who converted the entire library to soundfonts; each instrument its own .sf2 file now. Link:

http://the-filmmusic-group.deviantart.c ... -244707791 offset=10#comments

Since I'd mostly need separate instruments, I figure, this would be best suited to my purposes.

And finally to questions from my previous posting: 'Does it (meaning sampling generally) operate on a note-by-note basis? Or can indeed whole passages be reproduced in this way?', the answer was 'yes'. But would that be to the former or the latter?

To AnthonyCFox:

Shortly after sending off my last posting, I disovered Bardstown Audio. To my utter delight, they offer a package of Jazz Guitars and Tenor Banjos that receives high praise indeed from high-flyers in the music industry:

http://www.bardstownaudio.com/insite/frames/CD-G.html

I have been looking for something like this for donkey's! Honestly!

I'm especially glad to hear that Fishman Triple Play will be functioning on Linux Sampler. Could you please explain how exactly those Bardstown samples would be working for my electric tenor guitar?

Might there be any guitar-to-MIDI converters on the market with similar features but a more sympathetic price tag? I searched online, high and low, and all that came up was Sonuus (crap, if you're after polyphonic) and Roland...

Thank you very much, guys, for your patience with me!

tnob
Last edited by Veerstryngh Thynner on Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

With all due respect I think you need to do some reading about computer audio in particular midi.
In short: midi is a means of recording and transmitting information about notes which are being played.
If you send midi information to a sampler the sampler can plays sounds corresponding to the midi notes.
The sound played by the sample will depend on the sample loaded (e.g. piano, guitar, etc).

You ask 'Does it (meaning sampling generally) operate on a note-by-note basis? Or can indeed whole passages be reproduced in this way?' The answer to these is "Yes". Midi records individual notes and samplers play back individual notes. Hence, you can play an entire symphony with midi + samplers (and indeed many movie soundtracks are created this way).

By the way Rakarakk and maybe guitarix have an audio to midi converter. That is send in audio signal and convert to midi, i.e. do in software what the Fishman box does in hardware. However, I have not used this myself so I do not know how well this works.

I think there is a very low chance to use Sibelius musical instrument sound files in Linux because these are probably encrypted propritary format. But who knows.

In linux the "native" sample format supported are gigasampler, sfz, and sf2 (linuxsampler supports all 3, fluidsynth supports sf2). Some windows samplers will work in linux using wine.

Thanks for the Bardstown link, that was new to me. Their samples sound good, though are a bit pricey. You might also want to look at SampleTekk (which has frequent sales) and BigFish audio which also have quality gigasampler format files.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

OK, I'm beginning to understand where you are coming from; you need to learn how a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) works because that is basically what you need to do what you want to do. You don't need to route your signal to external gear; there may be reasons for doing it, but I suspect when you learn how to use a DAW you'll find it unnecessary.

There are a lot of ways to approach this; I recommend NON (Non-Sequencer, Non-Mixer, Non-Timeline and Non-Session-Manager), Carla and a decent sf2 font (Digital Sound Factory has a nice freebie). You will need a USB interface to record your electric guitars, Beheringer Guitar Link is probably the cheapest. I have one and it works fine for me.

I recommend against Ardour for you because it is based on Logic, ProTools, Cubase, etc. which were designed to imitate old school tape based recording. Audacity is just a fancy digital recorder; not a DAW. NON is designed around how computers actually work and is much more intuitive for anyone who doesn't have any experience with other DAWs.

Actually, I suggest starting with a fresh install of KxStudio because it will give you all the tools you need and it's well supported here. NON will make things a bit simpler but there is still a lot to learn so be patient. I would start with just messing around with the sequencer and Fluidsynth (Carla will use Fluidsynth to load an sf2 font) and slowly build from there.

Two years ago, I was about where you are now and my suggestions are based on that experience.

As for guitar to midi conversion the Fishman Triple Play is the only option worth considering at the moment. Except for Roland, everything else is crap and even Roland isn't very good despite the big price tag.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

AnthonyCFox wrote:As for guitar to midi conversion the Fishman Triple Play is the only option worth considering at the moment. Except for Roland, everything else is crap and even Roland isn't very good despite the big price tag.
At the risk of stating the obvious: if you're comfortable playing things in on your digital piano, that'll have more reliable results compared to using a guitar combined with some guitar-to-midi tool (hardware or software). Audio-to-midi is hard.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Hi to varpa and AnthonyCFox,

Let me expand a little on where I come from, with respect to recording musical instruments.

When I started thinking of multitrack recording as a realistic prospect, digital technology in that area was still in its infancy. It didn't really come into the equation. And so, after lots of research, I decided for a Tascam audio cassette 4-tracker.

This machine constituted my entire home studio, for a very long time. And although it's really showing its age now, it's still useful, in my current analogue/digital setup, as a preamp/EQ mixer.

However: as technology was expanding, my requirements were too. Blissfully unaware of the existence of Linux, at the time, I attempted setting up an audio home studio of some sort in Windows, at first. To cut a long story short: this was an awful nightmare. And the longest I've ever endured. In the end, though, a neighbour and friend introduced me to Ubuntu 10.10. And the rest is history, as they say.

I like Ubuntu tremendously because of its eminent reliability. Yet transition from analogue hardware multitracking to digital software multitracking has not always been easy.

On my shelves are several books about setting up a home studio, explaining things like MIDI, sequencing, sampling and the like in detail. So I have some impression of how MIDI, sequencing, sampling and the like work, in theory. Yet between a basic idea of how things function, in principle, and how to make them properly function, in everyday life generally and Ubuntu in particular, is a huge gap - from my perspective anyway. And translating a basic idea into a clear mental image what MIDI/sampling/sequencing entails in terms of the physical conditions in which the applications aforementioned operate forms part of the struggle.

With Ubuntu, it's like having a fantastic instrument at my fingertips. But I still don't quite know how to play it. Perhaps this is a generational thing.

Take MIDI, for instance. A superb way of digitally reproducing musical instruments, without a sliver of a doubt. But before MIDI is actually and realistically made to work in Ubuntu, a degree in IT may be necessary, from my point of view. Hence, I'm sometimes falling back on old, trusted ways.

Put differently: I'm aware that disparate components to make MIDI work are a MIDI keyboard/a USB MIDI interface/some softsynths, VSTs, notation software audio files - whatever. Aligning those three in such a way that they actually"talk" to each other, however, is a wholly different kettle of fish, in my experience!

To avoid misunderstandings: this is not a complaint but a mere observation, whilst attempting to analyse where I'm standing. I'm also willfully exaggerating in order to make my point. For nothing in the world could induce me to return to Windows! Not on your nelly!

Does this make my position any the clearer?

Now that's off my chest, back to your helpful suggestions: varpa's first.

Might there be any chance of converting Sibelius musical instrument files to sfz/sf2 then, in your opinion, if Sibelius musical instrument files, in their 'pure' format, are no good for Ubuntu?

That Rakarrack and Guitarix both have an audio-to-midi converter is big news indeed! This might save some money too!

I'm certainly going to check this out!

I'll look at SampleTekk and BigFish audio as well. Thanks very much for letting me know.

In the meanwhile, I agree Bardstown is rather pricey. But for at least a decade I have been looking for decent tenor banjo samples. And there weren't any; ever!

The kind of quality Bardstown delivers is such that I'm certainly going to put some money aside.

Then on to AnthonyCFox:

With a mind to my "biography": once again, I have some inkling of what sampling does - but as to what should come between myself and my computer, in order to achieve the result desired, the image is still very dim. Adorned with lots of gaps and voids as well, along the line.

Hence the following questions:

- are KtxStudio and NON related? In other words: is NON required for running KtxStudio (or vice-versa)? Or is the choice either KtxStudio or NON?
- what is Carla? Or rather: what does Carla do, in relation to KtxStudio/NON?
- can you give me a link to this sf2 Digital Sound Factory freebie please?
- I've heard of Fluidsynth, but never used it. Is it ALSA-based or run by JackCtrl? If the latter, some work in Jack Connections might be awaiting, I suppose...
- I have a Behringer UCG102 (somewhere: can't find it back right now):

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UCG102.aspx

It was working as an audio interface, in my Ubuntu 10.10 days. And should be in DreamStudio 12.04 as well.

Is this the kind of USB interface you mean?

Thanks once again for your advice, guys! I'll dedicate my first song to you!

tnob
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

tnob wrote:Take MIDI, for instance. A superb way of digitally reproducing musical instruments, without a sliver of a doubt. But before MIDI is actually and realistically made to work in Ubuntu, a degree in IT may be necessary, from my point of view. Hence, I'm sometimes falling back on old, trusted ways.

Put differently: I'm aware that disparate components to make MIDI work are a MIDI keyboard/a USB MIDI interface/some softsynths, VSTs, notation software audio files - whatever. Aligning those three in such a way that they actually"talk" to each other, however, is a wholly different kettle of fish, in my experience!
This is of course true. Making the combination of MIDI keyboard, MIDI interface, sequencer and synth work together takes some learning.

However, I think the effort is about equal (or less) to the effort required to make the combination of Guitar, audio interface, audio-to-MIDI-converter, sequencer, synth and hardware recorder to work together.

So in that light it'd say even though the first set might contain more elements that might be new to you, it might still in the end be simpler to set up and produce a more reliable result.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

tnob wrote:- are KtxStudio and NON related? In other words: is NON required for running KtxStudio (or vice-versa)? Or is the choice either KtxStudio or NON?
- what is Carla? Or rather: what does Carla do, in relation to KtxStudio/NON?
Both NON and Carla are in the KxStudio repos. Carla is a plugin host and has a nice patchbay (for making Jack connections) which you will need as NON doesn't come with one.
tnob wrote:- can you give me a link to this sf2 Digital Sound Factory freebie please?
https://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/example-downloads
tnob wrote:- I've heard of Fluidsynth, but never used it. Is it ALSA-based or run by JackCtrl? If the latter, some work in Jack Connections might be awaiting, I suppose...
This is where KxStudio and Carla simplify things for you. Just point Carla to your sf2 file and it will load it in fluidsynth. You will see it in the patchbay to connect it to Non-Sequencer and your playback.
tnob wrote:- I have a Behringer UCG102 (somewhere: can't find it back right now): Is this the kind of USB interface you mean?
Yes, that is the same.
tnob wrote:That Rakarrack and Guitarix both have an audio-to-midi converter is big news indeed! This might save some money too!
Well, they are free... :lol: