Tribulations Of A Tenor Banjo Player

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Tribulations Of A Tenor Banjo Player

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Greetings all,

When I was a nipper, my home-made "drums", played for hours on end in front of a blaring radio, drove my mum berserk. By six or seven, however, my parents detected a certain talent for piano - for which all interest was lost by the age of sixteen (or thereabouts). Sometime in-between, however, my dad taught me the basics of ukulele. And my next birthday got me my first "real" tenor banjo (the tuning of which was entirely different, by the way, so I had to start all over again).

Cue another decade or so - and (being the sole banjo player in the village) I was asked to join the house band of the local jazz club. Another bit later, my bandmates encouraged me to give the guitar a go as well (always rubbish as a soloist, even to this day - but not too bad in rhythm, I think). And so began my jazz phase, which was to span well over twenty years.

Inevitably, perhaps, I outgrew dixieland/swing/mainstream jazz and wanted to expand my horizon. For a couple of years, I performed with a fine vocalist - mainly pop covers and some of her own songs. Apart from that, though, I never really managed to escape the Trad Jazz "ghetto". And because of this, I loathed my banjo so much, at one point, that I didn't touch it for years!

Today, I'm once again playing ukulele, tenor banjo (my main instrument still), rhythm guitar, bass - having switched from acoustic to electric, in recent years - and drums (digital, these days). I also returned to the piano, after a fashion - although I'm not any good at it any more. I'd like to try my hand at a digital wind controller too, some day. I should even be able to sight-read - although this may have become a bit rusty. And from rich choral experience, over the years, a nice singing voice has evolved. Speaking of which: I expect soon to be able to turn my bass-baritone into a perfectly natural soprano/alto.

The latter is by dint of a modest audio home studio I own, since fairly recently. This now is - amongst many other things - my medium for finding ways and means of giving my banjo a new lease of life. Hence, I don't really need other musicians.

Or do I?

Only a couple of months ago, a 'Hot Club' (= 'gypsy' jazz) combo performed at the local corner market. Excellent musicians all - so I asked them, enthusiastically, as to whether they'd mind if I'd join them for a number or two (the very same stuff - notably! - I had been doing in my "own" bands for scores of years!).

Guess what? They did: as soon as I mentioned that I'm a banjo player, their faces visibly sagging. And I swear I almost saw them thinking 'Banjo equals dixieland; dixieland is not to be taken seriously; neither can banjo be, as a musical instrument; therefore, banjo players can't be serious musicians; therefore, they are decidedly not in our patch'.

In that order. So no: sorry. Request declined, old chap.

You are merely a banjo player, you know - New Orleans/dixieland the only place for you. Everybody knows that.

Get used to it, mate, And better stick to it, if you're sensible. There's a good lad.

Not the first time this has happened. And neither has the above ever been given verbal expression. But the implication is always crystal clear.

Because of tenor banjo being my instrument of choice, it is usually taken for granted that I am not much worth as a musician. By musicians from other fields of musical interest, usually.

Especially, rather. All the time.

I thought I had acquired a bit of rhino hide by now. But no: the older I get, the more it hurts - surprisingly enough!

These many years, I rarely was allowed opportunity to show my mettle in areas outside Trad. Parties involved might have been pleasantly surprised, given the chance. Instead, though, I still have to make do with ridicule, condescension, patronizing and the odd barely concealed contempt, in musical company - whenever banjo is mentioned.

Why?

This is not only insulting. I find it rather degrading, too.

tnob
GMaq
Established Member

Re: Tribulations Of A Tenor Banjo Player

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

I just happened upon your sad tale... If it's any consolation I think your rejection by the 'Hot Clubbers' was probably fueled more by their vain insecurity than your instrument... if it was not insecurity than the next logical assumption is plain old arrogance and who wants to share their gifts with such people anyway!

Sounds like you have varied and unique musical perspective that many of us young whippersnappers (and old farts) could surely benefit from hearing.. :)

I suggest you employ that new studio, tune up that tenor banjo, set up a good condenser mic and show the world what that baby is capable of!!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

GMaq wrote: ... employ that new studio, tune up that tenor banjo, set up a good condenser mic and show the world what that baby is capable of!!
Hear the man. I suggest you write a song about gypsy wankers. With a dynamite banjo solo.

Best,

dp
English Guy
Established Member

Post by English Guy »

After hearing Banjo covers of AC/DC & Motorhead my mind is completely open :D
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Banjo's are cool, those guys had no idea. It reminds me a bit of "connoisseurs" who enter a venue and see a couple of Marshall Valvestates on stage. Then the band appears with Epiphones. First thing they say is that the band is crap. Then they start playing... In other words, don't let 'm talk you down. And if I might need a banjo in one of my songs I hope you don't mind if I get in contact with you.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

AutoStatic,

Just yell if you'd need a tenor banjo for your song. I'd be more than happy to oblige!

And to all the other guys responding to this post: thanks for your uplifting words!

tnob