Please critique

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sharp
Established Member

Please critique

Post by sharp »

Hey there everybody!

I am a long time member of this forum but have not been active for A WHILE. I'm looking for a critique of the two songs posted below. Its been a while since I've "released" an album or an EP. Mostly I've been just recording songs and finding that I don't know how they would fit together in an album -- and I've been finding that my style is really inconsistent. That said, most of my friends are really impressed when I play this stuff for them.

http://shrp.me/audio/2010-06-11.ogg

http://shrp.me/audio/2010-03-16.ogg

Part of my hesitation in "releasing" this music is wondering "do people want to listen to this?" I think it's technically on point. I think IDM -- what I consider this music to be -- is sort of the bebop of electronic music. Technically complicated, and people don't get it. It sometimes takes attention to listen to.

So, if you weren't interested in this music because it is made with FLOSS Linuxy goodness, would you buy it? Would you go so far as to listen to it regularly? At least as much as you might listen to music from a similar genre, if you do listen to this sort of thing?

And by the way, 2010-06-11 is made with only zynaddsubfx, seq24, ardour, and jamin. 2010-03-16 is the same except specimen is used as well.

Thanks,
-sharp
sharp
Established Member

Re: Please critique

Post by sharp »

Oh, and I posted this in the wrong forum. Oops! If a mod could move this to "Original Scores & Recordings," I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Louigi Verona
Established Member

Post by Louigi Verona »

fantastic work. simply fantastic.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Not my preferred style, but nicely done. High production values through-out. Didn't seem complicated at all to my ears. Very listenable.

dp
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Woohoo, awesome track, I really dig the bass sound, is that a custom instrument or a default one? Really sounds like what Quazar used to pull out of their Juno's/Jupiter's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ekOPFk3sIs
Gee, this really sounds like a mangled '90's clubhit at first :) But really good nonetheless, awesome mix again, just like the other track. And as the track progresses it only becomes better. Some nasty clipping/xruns here and there though. Could be my system too.

Great contributions, great music!

Best,

Jeremy
DoosC
Established Member

Post by DoosC »

Hi Sharp !

I don't like much the first track (2010-06-11).
I think it is the basis, it sounds too much like an old acid RB-338 track.
But besides that, I have to say that there is some nice FX and synth that are worth hearing.
Maybe you could post the Zyn patches there : http://www.linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic ... 446#p13982

For the second track (2010-03-16), it's a complete different story. Man, this one is sooo good !
The beat breaks just as it should and the FX and the synths are just great !
The arrangement is great too. You've been hard at work on this one.
You should really consider setting up a soundcloud account to spread your music around.
Moreover I saw from your website that you're also a photographer. So put a title on that song, make a cover from one of your pictures and upload it!

I don't do albums or EP either, I don't have much time for music with my children, my wife, my job, etc so like you I just compose track by track with no style consistency but who cares provided this is good sound ?

Hope to hear some other new tracks soon !
| DoosC |
sharp
Established Member

Post by sharp »

I have a whole batch of songs that might become an E.P. soon. (Look out!)

I have to say, I'm not all that interested in a soundcloud. I don't really trust "the cloud" all that much since Flickr went all Yahoo!. Its why I built a whole database driven web app to serve up my photos. Plus, I will definitely use more than 120 minutes and the 100 downloads per track that come with the free version. Linking to ogg files off my webserver works for me.
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Hello sharp, the links to the songs are dead :(
sharp
Established Member

Post by sharp »

Yeah, the files are offline. I'm going to fix them up, kill the xruns, put them next to some other songs, and call it an E.P.

-sharp