Step by Step KXStudio upgrade Mint/Ubuntu/Debian/etc.

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

leokin
Established Member

Re: Step by Step KXStudio upgrade Mint/Ubuntu/Debian/etc.

Post by leokin »

I installed KXStudio per instructions at top of this page today over my Linu Mint 17.
Now I have no sound in you Tube.
The video plays...but no sound.
This happened right after running Ardour3. I shut down Jack, same problem still no youtube sound.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

At first I didn't stop jack after closing Ardour (Ardour played sound).

Then when I discovered no web sound (YouTube in this case), that's when I shut down Jack
to see if that would give me back the sound. But, still no sound.

However, I then rebooted Mint/KXS. And I then had web sounds.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I think you need to have the alsa->jack bridge running to get Youtube sound. This is enabled in cadence.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Thanx for the quick reply!
I think I'm getting better at the feel of the KXS setup...I have been comparing how to use it in various distros (all 64 bit)....e.g., Ubuntu Studio 12.04.5 LTS; Ubuntu 14.04 LTS; and now also Linux Mint 17.

I tend to forget the basics as I deal with these different distro's LOL.

So...in Mint, after installing the KXS repo's as I stated, I this time just left the Jack setup in it's default state and all seems to work just fine!

Sometimes I need to change the Jack setup so I can plugin my AudioBox USB interface for my guitar, and I think...but not sure...that's when I need to rebbot after my guitar session so I can then watch YouTube.

I'll fiddle with it some more and report back. ~Leo
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

If I just let Jack run in the background, you're right, I get sounds. Now my problem is...

1) Running Ardour, or even YTube, I get crackling sounds, more so in Youtube.
2) In both cases, I get sound only thru my left front (5.1 system) speaker.
3) I get lots of xruns in Ardour.

I don't experience either problem in Ubu Studio; I used identical sound source files in both, and here are screen shots for clarity...

Mint 17 /KXS https://www.dropbox.com/s/dprh59yo1s5o4 ... 7.png?dl=0

Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS https://www.dropbox.com/s/8njig7qhbt4nz ... M.png?dl=0
leokin
Established Member

Re: [SOLVED] Step by Step KXStudio upgrade ...

Post by leokin »

leokin wrote:If I just let Jack run in the background, you're right, I get sounds. Now my problem is...

1) Running Ardour, or even YTube, I get crackling sounds, more so in Youtube.
2) In both cases, I get sound only thru my left front (5.1 system) speaker.
3) I get lots of xruns in Ardour.

I don't experience either problem in Ubu Studio; I used identical sound source files in both, and here are screen shots for clarity...

Mint 17 /KXS https://www.dropbox.com/s/dprh59yo1s5o4 ... 7.png?dl=0

Ubuntu Studio 12.04 LTS https://www.dropbox.com/s/8njig7qhbt4nz ... M.png?dl=0
I'm not sure of what details have happened, but I just wiped and did a fresh install of Mint 17; then I refollowed the instructions in
this thread. Now I have sounds in both YTube and Ardour. I notice, however, that the sound applet Mint no longer works (areas are greyed out) and doesn't display the sound card details anymore.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

falkTX wrote:that sound applet probably uses pulseaudio, which is now working as slave mode to jack.
you need a proper sound mixer/applet/tool that does ALSA-based mixing, not just pulseaudio.
kmix and volti are usually good choices.
Thanx!! I'll check them out.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

By the way...now that I have KXS installed into Mint...should I best migrate towards future programs to be Debian based, Ubuntu based, and/or KXS repositories???
I still never am sure of the best thing to do in that respect, and I need to somehow read up something that best explains what works best in which distro (i have 3 hard drives with 3 different distros, all 64 bit:
this one, with Mint/KXS...another with dual boot---Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS and low latency kernel---and Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

How do I know if my OS ( in this case mint 17 Cinammon) is Debian or Ubuntu based?
xtianstar12
Established Member

Post by xtianstar12 »

I did everything in the Instructions, and finally was able to get sound through my Audio Interface out of Ableton Live.

Then I updated my system, and boom it started crackling. I think that Jackd2 is not working properly. I am no expert, I am still learning about running audio programs through Linux. I am currently on Linux Mint 17.3..

I am just going to do a reinstall of Linux Mint, and not update those components.

Any of you have had this problem with Jackd2?
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

I've been on Mint 17 cinnamon since the day it came out. I've upgraded all the way to current 17.3 build and still going strong. I would guess it's not jackd2. My experience is, it either works or it doesn't, there isn't much in between. You could try going in Cadence and if you're set to 3 period/buffer, change down to 2 and see what happens (make sure to restart jack). Also check your buffer size. Set it to 1024, and see if it makes a difference (again, don't forget to restart jack.) Otherwise, with the available info, I'm not sure. Also not sure why you'd come to linux to use Abelton, but I won't judge. I've found Reason works better with Ardour than through ReWire with any DAW on windows!
Fatima
Established Member

Post by Fatima »

Nice tutorial, thank you very much.

I am using it on Debian 8.5 Jessy, trying to get KXstudio software installed by using it.
Am having some trouble.

After:
add-apt-repository ppa:kxstudio-debian/kxstudio

I do:
aptitude update (also tried apt-get update)

and in both cases I get:
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/kxstudio-debia ... 4/Packages 404 Not Found

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

Most popular tutorial ever in the how-to section, and it's been out-of-date for a while. New instructions should bring it into line with how it works now!