Configuring Line In input?

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aleks
Established Member

Configuring Line In input?

Post by Aleks »

OK, with Ubuntu is like "so far, so great", :D but occasionaly I run into some problems that I can't resolve on my own and I need some help. I wasn't getting any sound from the rear panel's line in on my computer. After a little search on Google I found that it can be enabled on the ALSA mixer. So I did, and to much joy, I heard a sound from my guitar in the headphones, and I pretty much thought that the input is dead (I have a dual boot machine, and on Win 7 Line In is not working). But, then I ran into another problem. When I start any audio application like Rakarack or Ardour there is no sound! How to configure apps to recognise the rear panel Line In instead the front panel's mic input?
Aleks
Established Member

Re: Configuring Line In input?

Post by Aleks »

Yeah, well, I figured it out. There was no need to touch anything in the ALSA mixer, it was all in the sound settings where in the input tab the connectors menu should be set to analog line in. So, with the line in the ALSA mixer I guess there was some kind of conflict, so there the line in should be muted.
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Interesting.. You had to mute the line in on the Alsa mixer in order to hear the line in signal??

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
danielmontiverde

Post by danielmontiverde »

briandc wrote:Interesting.. You had to mute the line in on the Alsa mixer in order to hear the line in signal?

i agree, how can you hear a signal when it is muted?meaning you cut off the signal
brummer

Post by brummer »

when you use the jack audio server, you better mute your input device in alsa, to avoid a direct output and get instead the processed output of your jack application.