How to Get Jack to Detect my M-Audio Fast Track

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

aeb105
Established Member

How to Get Jack to Detect my M-Audio Fast Track

Post by aeb105 »

Hi everybody! I have used linux off an on for years. Currently jumping into the wondeful world of Linux Audio and stumbling here and there. Running Ubuntu Oneiric and it sees my M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB device. Cat Proc sees it. But when looking in the Setup of QJactl it's not there. I disabled my onboard device in an attempt to have it see anything other than hw:0 but no go. I know this is pretty simple but what I need to do here? This is a very popular card and does work with Jack. Another important thing to note is that under System Settings>Sound in Ubuntu, it shows up in Output but not under Input. Here's the latest error after I command line force Jack to use hw:1:

Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
Cannot create thread 1 Operation not permitted
JACK server starting in realtime mode with priority 10
Cannot lock down memory area (Cannot allocate memory)
control device hw:1
audio_reservation_init
Acquire audio card Audio1
creating alsa driver ... hw:1|hw:1|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for capture. Falling back to playback-only mode
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
Cannot use real-time scheduling (RR/10)(1: Operation not permitted)
AcquireSelfRealTime error
Excds
Established Member

Re: How to Get Jack to Detect my M-Audio Fast Track

Post by Excds »

The current kernel in Oneiric does not properly support that card. Can't remember right now which version it was added, but if you use AVLinux it works out of the box.

I got the patched kernel source from the nice people at AVLinux and built a version that worked. Check out this thread: http://www.remastersys.com/forums/index ... pic=1853.0
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.
steevc
Established Member

Post by steevc »

I've updated the wiki page with that link

http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php ... _track_pro

Steve
Sounds - http://soundcloud.com/steevc
Debut Album - https://steevcmusic.bandcamp.com/
Blog - https://peakd.com/@steevc/posts
Recording via M-Audio FastTrack Pro and Zoom H4. Got Korg nanoKONTROL and Zoom G3X plus Roland TD-07 drums

aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Thanks guys. I think the problems I saw was that Oneiric will not see the 2 cards in the M-Audio device or allow record and playback simultaneously unless you tweak ALSA or your asound file to make it see both. Maybe I should just switch to AV Linux. I guess that's what everyone uses? Thanks.
aeb105
Established Member

Post by aeb105 »

Just installed AVLInux and am basically getting the same thing when try to start Qjactl. I went into the BIOS and disabled the onboard card after getting the inital error but still got this after. Do I need to point it to the M-Audio?? I thought support was built in?

JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
loading driver ..
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
control open "hw:0" (No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA lib pcm_hw.c:1401:(_snd_pcm_hw_open) Invalid value for card
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to capture-only mode
cannot load driver module alsa
DebugModuleManager::unregisterModule: Could not unregister DebugModule (PˆeWire device to use. Format is: 'hw:port[,node]'.ames)annels (defaults to 2)r sync packetsL¢)Í
06:07:37.064 JACK was stopped successfully.
06:07:37.064 JACK has crashed.
06:07:37.876 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the messages window for more info.
logdrum
Established Member

Post by logdrum »

Oneiric has pulseaudio as well, so one has to edit /etc/pulse/default.pa

and add this line

Code: Select all

load-module module-alsa-source device=hw:3,1
BUT you need to add a file in /etc/modprobe.d and call it fasttract-pro or something and add this line

options snd_usb_audio   vid=0x763 pid=0x2012 device_setup=0x1 index=3 enable=1
Now configure jack to capture only and make sure you select the interface hw: 3,1 meaning your Fast Track Box

I found out that in duplex mode it does not work for the playback, so I opened a terminal and typed

$ alsa_out -dhw:3,0 -r 44100
This means I am creating a jack controlled output using alsa to device number 3,0 which is the output (or input depending how you look at it) of the Fast Track box,

Then in qjackqtl, I connect any jack output like synths and amp effects to the alsa_out input.