How do I change bpm on a track.

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

esantiago
Established Member

How do I change bpm on a track.

Post by esantiago »

Hi Guys!

I've been fiddling with Ardour and Qtractor for mixing some loops but have found out a little problem. I have found out that in Qtractor I change the tempo value, but it does not change the actual speed of the track and nothing in Ardour that can change tempo either.

Is there any program available for changing bpms of my track, even if it is in command line?
Capoeira
Established Member

Re: How do I change bpm on a track.

Post by Capoeira »

In Audacity you have the possibilitie to change pitch and speed both seperated without effecting the other one, of samples.
Something perhaps more interesting and better sounding for you would be a beat-slicer like this one: http://freecycle.redsteamrecords.com/
esantiago
Established Member

Post by esantiago »

I'm having problems with Audacity GUI, so that's out of the question. Will check your link though
devilock76
Established Member

Post by devilock76 »

Qtractor, right click the clip->clip->edit, the dialog that displays gives you options to time stretch and or pitch shift the clip. The time stretch is by percent so if you are looking to hit a target BPM be prepared to open a calculator. This has to be done one clip at a time as in my experimentation selecting multiple tracks and repeating the same procedure seems to work till you commit the change. Then only the one you selected changes. It can be undone on a side note.

Ken
esantiago
Established Member

Post by esantiago »

Thanks! :D
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

re. qtractor:

you can also change the time-stretching factor visually :) just shift+click over either edge of a clip and resize to a new length--the clip will get time-stretched in direct proportion to the size/length change

if you're aligning/snap to beat/bars then this might be the best way to fit your audio clips into tempo (bpm), no need for a calculator ;)

cheers
i2productions
Established Member

Post by i2productions »

You can change the BPM in Ardour! Unlike some commercial products, like ACID for instance, this only changes the grid size in the track window. From there you can use the time/shrink tool to scale your individual samples/regions to your desired BPM. While this may seem like a daunting task, it allows for better control of your audio. You can also insert tempo change markers to change the tempo of various song parts. When Ardour3 is released, it will actually effect the time of MIDI tracks.
zwenny
Established Member

Post by zwenny »

i2productions wrote:You can change the BPM in Ardour! [...] You can also insert tempo change markers to change the tempo of various song parts. [...]
If you start from the beginning you may use klick, klick2ardour.py and tempomaps.
Have a look at this topic: http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2290
Looking forward to look back what happens now

Listen to my music at:
https://www.jamendo.com/artist/373939/zwenny