Renoise and dssi ( and jack )

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

soundwave
Established Member

Renoise and dssi ( and jack )

Post by soundwave »

This may sound a little complicated, but, is jack a necessity? I mean, i use renoise, and, since i dont have the need for low latencies, do i really need to use it?

My basic setup ( or workflow ) is that i use csound to render stuff to wav, then import it as a sample in renoise. That goes with field recordings, my own samples, etc. So, i dont need ultra low latencies, and i dont need to patch "cords", but i want to use dssi plugins, and dssi-vst. What would be something of a minimum requirements of apps that should work.

Can renoise load dssi-vst plugins by itself or do i need to use jack to patch thru or something third, i tried to read lot of articles but i got lost in the different setups...
t-sys
Established Member

Re: Renoise and dssi ( and jack )

Post by t-sys »

hi! DSSIs seem to work with Renoise also without running Jack, so I guess that, in principle, dssi-vst should work too.

However, my experiences with dssi-vst have been somewhat shaky. Some Windows VSTs have worked in Renoise/Linux while others not.

Also, as far as I know, chunks are still not supported, so saving VST presets with dssi-vst may not be possible. But Renoise has a nice feature of rendering a DSSI/VST instrument into native xrns format, which in a way solves the preset issue.
Capoeira
Established Member

Post by Capoeira »

one reason I would use jack even when it's not necessary is that it indicates x-runs. Sometimes they are not realy obvious to hear
soundwave
Established Member

Post by soundwave »

Thanks, so i will try with jack. jack1 or jack2? :D
Also, why renoise sees my plugins ( the ones from the "tal" bundle and kxplugins ) while scanning, but fails to add them?
autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

Those are LinuxVST plugins. My guess is that Renoise can't handle native Linux VST's.
t-sys
Established Member

Post by t-sys »

Renoise does support native Linux VSTs and Tal plugins work ok here with 64-bit Ubuntu. Maybe Renoise forum could help too, e.g. here:
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=27843

Both jack1 or jack2 should do. I've got better results with jack2 from falktx repos.
soundwave
Established Member

Post by soundwave »

Still no luck :S I dont know wtf i am doing wrong, but, i cant even add falTX's ppa? Im using maverick,that may be a prob? Tried KXStudio but KDE does not like my poor hardware :lol:
t-sys
Established Member

Post by t-sys »

Yes, those falktx repos are for Lucid.

Maybe you could try with fresh install of Ubuntu or Lubuntu (Lucid). Another lightweight option is Ubuntu Minimal 10.04 with lxde desktop:
http://tapanisysimetsa.blogspot.com/201 ... on_10.html
There are also instructions for setting up the repos, they should apply with regular (L)Ubuntu too (section 3).