Here's an odd request.

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Chipfryer
Established Member

Here's an odd request.

Post by Chipfryer »

I want to create a crowd chanting a phrase for a project. I want it to sound like a football or ball game crowd chanting this phrase. I know I can just keep recording the same thing with different voice aspects but is there an easier way?

Told you it was odd. :mrgreen:
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: Here's an odd request.

Post by MattKingUSA »

Get an actual crowd! I think it will sound the best if you can just get a real crowd. At least a group of folks that you can layer, or essentially double track. Just record it a few times and do some variance on the volumes and reverb of some of the layers.

-Matt :D

SR
Established Member

Post by SR »

Years ago I used a Tascam 688 for recording a friend and I did the same thing by just recording ourselves over and over again bouncing tracks back and forth and using a lot of effects in the process. It actually sounded pretty good when we were done, but I think part of that was due to the fact that the background voices had been bounced so much that they lost a lot of the original sound quality thus were really forced into the background.
Chipfryer
Established Member

Post by Chipfryer »

All good answers thank you. As I expected then. They all have to chant the same phrase. I'll work on it but thanks for the replies.

:D
loophole

Post by loophole »

Also your probably done with the recording this might come in handy for other reading this thread.

Next to just record the chant over and over again and layering it change the distance to the mic. Just think about when you hear a crowd roar. The sound does not come from just one position but lets say 10 square feet. Also when you double a line from the same position just change the volume of the second track. Not everyone has the same volume when singing/shouting.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

Record yourself a couple of times doing it. In audacity (or sox) adjust the volume, pitch, and timing offset to many variations. Do it in such a way that all samples are the same length, then mix and loop it. Most likely you'll be bringing the volume quite a ways down before mixing. And not quite the real deal as recording gear adds noise which adds up when duplicated and mixed. Plus pitch shifting can add artifacts that might not sound realistic. But something.