Sound engineering lessons

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sadko4u
Established Member

Sound engineering lessons

Post by sadko4u »

Hi all!

About three months ago we've started weekly lessons in our company related to sound engineering and sound producing. I was explaining to interested people some details of sound engineering and sound producing. Totally we got eight lessons, each about 3 hours of duration. There was theory and basic practice that explained such themes like:
  • overview of studio gear and studio path
  • recording methods with microphones
  • montage
  • frequency-domain processing (equalization)
  • dynamic processing (compression, limiting, gating, expanding etc...)
  • distortions
  • spatial processing (reverberation, delay)
  • mastering
All work was done with Ardour and such plugins like LSP, Calf, Invada, linuxDSP and some others.

The main problem that it's all in russian language and has to be at least translated with subtitles. Also, each lessons is about 3 hours length, so probably they should be split into sub-lessons for about 20-30 minutes. Due to limitations of my hardware I couldn't perform screencast, so the practice part was recorded with the camera and looks like camrip.

Indeed, if you're interested, I can publish these materials (or a pilot one, for tasting).

LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Sound engineering lessons

Post by sysrqer »

I would certainly be interested but it seems like an awful lot of work in translating.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Sound engineering lessons

Post by sadko4u »

I've uploaded the first (pilot) video that explains the first theme.
Now it's not public and is available only by the link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JbKvcLdXWY

So I would like to ask you to watch this video and estimate the quality and demand of content.
If there's all OK and you're interested, I'll publish another videos in the future. Also I would like to ask about where to publish this content: on the LSP plugins youtube channel or on another one?
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.