Flac and browsers

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

briandc
Established Member

Flac and browsers

Post by briandc »

Hi everyone,
I'd like to incorporate some flac files on my website. Depending on the browser, however, I get very different results display results:

- on Firefox, I get a blank space where the incorporated player should appear;
- on Arora, the player shows, but not playable;
- on Chromuim, the player shows, but not playable;
- on Midori, the player shows and the file is playable. :)

So only 1 out of 4, Midori, is able to see and play the flac file. (Nothing against Midori; only that, on the whole, compared to the other three, together with IE and Safari, it has a very, very small following..)

As a workaround (until the various "big-player" browser developers decide to recognize flac as an important lossless audio file format), I've been thinking of other ways to add flac files for all to see (and hear) easily, such as inserting a dedicated flac audio file player (does one even exist for webpages?), or if nothing else, making videos with flac audio. (I think Kdenlive can do this.)
I've found a java-based flac audio file player for web use called Aurora. But the demo (see this page: https://github.com/audiocogs/flac.js ) doesn't permit me to load flac files correctly for some reason, and I'm not sure it's actively being developed. -Anyone tried it?

Other suggestions?

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Flac and browsers

Post by glowrak guy »

You might ask at Bandcamp, they mention a fondness for flac, and maybe the brass at some other music hosting sites.
Myself, I think you make many contributions in areas other than codecs, and 'playing to your strengths'
is important these days. Maybe do a commercial soundbank for U-he Filterscape synth, as it's more
under the radar than Diva and Zebra, but is an interesting beast. Your amsynth banks have some good sounds.
Actual sampling could be an extension of sound design, recording niche instruments, not competing against industry giants.
Just need some mics, and quite room, maybe some acoustic add-ons as needed. Maybe some university has
instruments/players that would contribute?
Cheers
briandc
Established Member

Re: Flac and browsers

Post by briandc »

Hi glowrak guy,
I didn't mean to say that I want to *make* a flac player, I would just like to hear any suggestions about ways to implement flac files on html, as some browsers don't recognize them yet. If there is a flac file player that exists already and that can be inserted in an html page so that ANY browser will see and reproduce the files, that would be great.

Hope that's a bit clearer..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com