Increase a part of the sound of an mp3

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

josephm

Increase a part of the sound of an mp3

Post by josephm »

Hey community,
I have a live mp3 record of a show that i want to lauch as an album. Badly, the electric guitar, which is an important part, is very difficult to hear due to the low sound on the recording. Would you recomand me an app, or a feature of an app i may have, that will help me to increase this specific sound? I know it would be better if i had a multi-track recording, but i unfortunately don't have it. I'll take all the suggestions.
Thanks for help
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Increase a part of the sound of an mp3

Post by sysrqer »

It's next to impossible. If it is recorded in stereo and the guitar is on one side then you could increase the level of just that side in Audacity. You could try playing with EQ and maybe compression but it's not likely that you will be a particularly good result or improve the level of the guitar much.

Aside from that, processing an mp3 usually requires decoding it to wav and then doing the processes which in itself will cause the file to sound even worse, especially if you're encoding it to mp3 again afterwards.
headwar
Established Member

Post by headwar »

Hi,

long shot here, but maybe you could try ISSE/. i would suggest to take your original mp3 and first, convert it to a lossless format (to not add any more loss of info, the fact that the recording is in mp3 format is a big loss by itself). Then, try to extract the guitar from the sonogram with ISSE, you'll then have 2 tracks that you can work with in your DAW.

I think nevertheless that mp3 recoding has "lost" the guitar info because it has been masked by other sounds, but it's worth to try it on a subsection of your recording.

If this method doesn't work, you can do the opposite in ISSE, which would be : extract the drum, then save. In the part without drums, extract the voice, save. In the part without the voice, extract the bass, save etc... until only the guitar remains. You'll then have to compress or adjust the volume on your guitar track to make it about constant, then amplify it, and mix back everything.

Wish you luck, regards
HW
bazsound
Established Member

Post by bazsound »

only thing i can suggest is giving a boost in the frequency range that the guitar is in however if other stff is in that range aswell youw will boost those aswell sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.

the problem with stereo recordings out of a desk is if the guitars are too loud (which is quite commen) on stage there going to be much lower on the dek mix