How to use WINE?

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

leokin
Established Member

How to use WINE?

Post by leokin »

My system setup is:
Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise), 64 bit, Kernel Linux 3.2.0-55 low latency, GNOME 3.4.2

My problem:
When I try to open an exe file with WINE 1.6, from a program I purchased online I get error messages.
Anyone have links I can possibly educate myself so I can solve this problem?
The usual wine and winetricks websites so far haven't opened my eyes yet.
The program is a tutorial on jazz guitar playing, and works on my wife's Windows program PC flawlessly.
I've used other stuff from this wonderful site... Jazzguitar.be ...but they were in pdf format and mp3.
~Leo
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Re: How to use WINE?

Post by AnthonyCFox »

WINE is hit and miss at best, and if the program was designed for Win7 or later, it's even less likely to work.

Do you have a link from where you downloaded the program? I looked at the site and could only find books, pdf's, etc.
War, crime, disease, starvation, extreme poverty; these are serious things.
Music? Not so serious. Have some fun! :D
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

AnthonyCFox wrote:WINE is hit and miss at best, and if the program was designed for Win7 or later, it's even less likely to work.

Do you have a link from where you downloaded the program? I looked at the site and could only find books, pdf's, etc.
Starting at http://www.jazzguitar.be/major_blues_scale.html I then clicked on the link [Introduction to Jazz Blues Guitar v1 "Click Here to Download Now"],
which leads to the link.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

leokin wrote:
AnthonyCFox wrote:WINE is hit and miss at best, and if the program was designed for Win7 or later, it's even less likely to work.

Starting at http://www.jazzguitar.be/major_blues_scale.html I then clicked on the link [Introduction to Jazz Blues Guitar v1 "Click Here to Download Now"],
which leads to the link.
All I see is this:

Introduction to Jazz Blues Guitar v1
Price: $19.99
eBook (printable) for PC or Mac | tabs, notation, audio & backing tracks

No mention of any application. Is it a surprise bonus when you purchase?

WINE does work for you correct? You have an.exe that you can start up and run? (Just makin' sure. :) )
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Wine isn't working as I said, at least in this instance. To tell you the truth this is the only time I've tried to use it
and maybe I'm doing something wrong which I'm not aware of. I can't find any info that makes clear exactly how to open an exe file.
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

leokin wrote:Wine isn't working as I said, at least in this instance. To tell you the truth this is the only time I've tried to use it
and maybe I'm doing something wrong which I'm not aware of. I can't find any info that makes clear exactly how to open an exe file.
Oh, yeah, wine is a beast. I've been depending on KxStudio to set wine up for me. You could remove the version of wine you have and upgrade your system to KxStudio with the meta packages http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Documen ... tu:Upgrade then in a terminal enter

Code: Select all

regsvr32 wineasio.dll
then you should be able to just click on the exe and wine will try to run it.

It's kind of a dramatic solution just to run one application, but for a musician KxStudio is definitely worth considering.

Sorry, I can't be more help. Maybe, someone else will come along with more specific instructions on how to set up wine. I'd be interested myself.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

AnthonyCFox wrote:
leokin wrote:Wine isn't working as I said, at least in this instance. To tell you the truth this is the only time I've tried to use it
Oh, yeah, wine is a beast. I've been depending on KxStudio to set wine up for me. You could remove the version of wine you have and upgrade your system to KxStudio with the meta packages http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/Documen ... tu:Upgrade then in a terminal enter

Code: Select all

regsvr32 wineasio.dll
then you should be able to just click on the exe and wine will try to run it.

It's kind of a dramatic solution just to run one application, but for a musician KxStudio is definitely worth considering.

Sorry, I can't be more help. Maybe, someone else will come along with more specific instructions on how to set up wine. I'd be interested myself.
I use Ubuntu Studio 64 bit (Ubu 12.04)...you have any experience of my distro as compared to KXStudio?
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

leokin wrote:... I can't find any info that makes clear exactly how to open an exe file.
Like Windows, your system should know that certain files are opened by certain programs. Thus, it should know that Windows executables (.exe files) are opened by Wine. If this does not happen, then, in your file manager, right-click on the .exe, select Open With and choose Wine. If Wine is not there at that stage, then choose Other Application and, on the list, look for Wine Windows Program Loader.

If none of that works out, there may be something wrong with your WIne installation. You could try, in a terminal window...

$ wine /full/path/to/program.exe

See the output of

$ man wine

for details of command-lie usage.

That's all I know --- but it should be enough to get a works-in-wine program running. Getting sound in and out might be another story. I have done it, but all I use Wine for regularly is the only computer game that I've ever played: solitaire! :oops: :oops: :oops:
AnthonyCFox
Established Member

Post by AnthonyCFox »

leokin wrote:I use Ubuntu Studio 64 bit (Ubu 12.04)...you have any experience of my distro as compared to KXStudio?
I installed it once, then immediately enabled the KxStudio repos. KxStudio has everything that is good about Ubuntu Studio and more. You won't lose anything, you'll only gain.

I'm a little offended by Ubuntu Studio, to be honest, it has the Ubuntu name on it - it should, and could, be much better.
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Thanx for your input. I'll try KX on mw other hard drive...been actually thinking about that lately anyway. ;)
leokin
Established Member

Post by leokin »

Thanx for your input. I'll try KX on my other hard drive...been actually thinking about that lately anyway. ;)