Lowlatency on ArchBang

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

CrocoDuck
Established Member

Re: Lowlatency on Archbang

Post by CrocoDuck »

Even if I've not fully solved the USB issue yet, I update the situation with some new info. The issue with the USB soundcard seems related to the ehci-pci driver. Here a post where guys from Archbang forums try to help me: http://bbs.archbang.org/viewtopic.php?pid=23279 .
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Ended up installing a rt kernel without that driver. Problem solved, tutorial complete (I hope)! I'm enjoying very stable performances with USB sound card too (4ms of latency, one hour and a half without xruns).
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Hi CrocoDuck,
i'm thinking of installing Archbang as well, to experiment if i can get low latencys without xruns on my system with a ICE1712 card,
did you install 32 bit or 64 bit Archbang. I want to use festige or Carla in ARCH to run Addictive drums (live for our triggered drumkit) and don't want to experience to much hassle with multiarch on 64 bit.

Grtz

Troathscream
Metal for the Devil!!!!
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

Hi,

I’m on Arch here (not Archbang, but still), 64 bit. If you want to use the KXStudio version or the newest git version of Jack, you should know that neither compiles multiarch (mixed mode) on 64 bit (or maybe I haven’t tried hard enough). I ended up using the repo version, which is older and lacks FalkTX’s patches, but provides both 64- and 32-bit packages.

I’ve got an M-Audio Delta 1010LT, which performed fairly well as far as I can remember, but I haven’t used it for ages, since I switched to Firewire, which obviously beats it in terms of latency. At any rate, I got better results with it in Arch than I had in the Ubuntu-based setup earlier.
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

Tnx for the reply,
maybe it is better to install 32 bit, so i can use FalkTX AUR packages without any problems or conflicts with multiarch on a 64bit install.
I use a Hoontech STaudio DSP2000 Cport system and get around 5ms (jack)latency on Ubuntu studio 12.04 with the KXstudio repos installed on top of it.
It's enough for rehearsal purposes and maybe even recording, but i just don't know if it's good enough for gigs, and i get Xruns randomly, but not really noticible in the soundquality, no stuttering or hickups. Just want to see if i can push te latency lower with Arch and get a more stable system without Xruns.

Grtz
Metal for the Devil!!!!
Joermungand
Established Member

Post by Joermungand »

You’re welcome.

It is only Jack that doesn’t do 32 bit on my 64-bit architecture (other than the one in the official repos, which is version 1.9.8-4). I have both Cadence and Carla installed and I haven’t had any issue with either so far. The only problem I had was that I used Superior Drummer 2 and it would only work properly with FSTHost – neither Carla nor FeSTige did for me. And in this case I couldn’t go under 2 periods/buffer, buffer size 64 (using the Firewire interface, I don’t really have any specific results for the ICE1712 in this set-up), without getting a crappy drum sound. But that means 1.3 ms latency as indicated by Cadence without any xrun.

Best,

Joermungand
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

I cant get superior drummer 2 working on my current system also, heard there was a bug in certain versions and you won't get any sound out of it, even windows and mac users had the problem.
1,3 msec if we only could get that low, but i guess the hardware is getting to old.
Metal for the Devil!!!!
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

troathscream wrote:Hi CrocoDuck,
i'm thinking of installing Archbang as well, to experiment if i can get low latencys without xruns on my system with a ICE1712 card,
did you install 32 bit or 64 bit Archbang. I want to use festige or Carla in ARCH to run Addictive drums (live for our triggered drumkit) and don't want to experience to much hassle with multiarch on 64 bit.

Grtz

Troathscream
Hi. I installed the 64 bit version. I've not mentioned in the tutorial, but after the installation I found jack1 on Archbang. I uninstalled it and then I installed a jack2 package from repos. I've never used a ICE1712 card so I can't add any clue about it. Moreover, even if they are very interesting, I never used Festige or Carla, so I haven't any advice. I've played around with Archbang to try to build a computer to use as a lowlatency digital effects station and synth on stage (of course, is also capable of recording). I'm planning to use an FCB1010 via a midisport UNO and a Keystation Mini32 for this purpose. In my opinion 5 ms are quite good for live performances: my personal rule is no more than 7ms... After some test I found that a less extreme jack configuration is better for on stage operation: I ended up using a setup that should ensure 5.33 ms of latency (I don't have very good soundcards at the moment), higher latency but very good stability.