Firewire solo, JACK and how can i hear it ?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

argod

Firewire solo, JACK and how can i hear it ?

Post by argod »

Hi All
newbie here with a (BIG) question:

i connect a m-audio firewire solo to Kubuntu 8.04 64bit AMD cpu. JackCtrl is configured using freebob drivers, and i can record whatever I'm playing, run the guitar signal through effects and generally this part is working wonderful.

so far so good...

my problem is that i cannot hear what i'm playing LIVE. there is no sound coming through the speakers when i play. the only way to listen is to playback the recording.

can anyone help me figure out how can i listen to the music live ?

thanks
thorgal
Established Member

Re: Firewire solo, JACK and how can i hear it ?

Post by thorgal »

Hi, welcome here.

You record with ardour ? try to activate software monitoring (Options -> Monitoring -> Ardour does monitoring).

The drawback is that if your jack setting is very conservative (high latency), you will hear the time diff. However, it could be that you need to enable hardware monitoring from your h/w mixer. I don't know how firewire devices are controlled in linux but there must be some mixer app to control it. What mixer app do you use ? is there something about hardware monitoring (bypass of the CPU, direct out, whatever it is called) ?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

argod wrote:JackCtrl is configured using freebob drivers, and i can record whatever I'm playing, run the guitar signal through effects and generally this part is working wonderful. i cannot hear what i'm playing LIVE. there is no sound coming through the speakers when i play.
in qjackctl, in the 'Connect' window, 'Audio' tab, is there a 'writable client' besides the application you're using for recording? If jack is running, I think you should be able to route the audio to your soundcard there.

Which applications are you using specifically?
argod

Post by argod »

raboof wrote: in qjackctl, in the 'Connect' window, 'Audio' tab, is there a 'writable client' besides the application you're using for recording? If jack is running, I think you should be able to route the audio to your soundcard there.

Which applications are you using specifically?
:D
You were right !! i had to route the signal back into the firewire solo box. the only problem was figuring out which connection is the headphones and which is the sound out.

i use jackcontrol and run the signal through ardour, jammin and other applications such as guitar effects etc.

thanks !!
danni
Established Member

Post by danni »

Patchage is an alternate way of routing connections - It requires less mouse clicks than qjackctl :)