Home sweet home

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Sandsound
Established Member

Home sweet home

Post by Sandsound »

• Athlon 64 2Ghz, 2Gb ram, 3x200Gb hd, Nvidia 7950x2 and a M-Audio Audiophile
    Onkyo A-8057 with a pair of Diamond-6 speakers
    Roland A-30 keyboard mounted on a old ironing board :-)
    Behringer Eurorack MX2004A
    dd602 e-drum-kit (extensively modified, but thats a long story)
    Homebuilt guitar-amp with 2x12" kab. (I call it the H-Amp ;-) )
    Alesis Quadraverb GT
    Epiphone Les Paul
    Black strat-wannabe modified with FloydRose and SeymourDuncan-pickups
    Ibanez 4-string bass
    AKG 535, SM57, and some other mics I rarely use, mostly Senheiser and Audiotronic
I also have things like pedals, clay-drums and other things that make strange sounds.

My e-drums I bought 2'nd-hand for 1700,- Dkr (about 315,- USD), but as I mentioned, they have come a long way since then.
First step was to get rid of the old heads and replace them with mesh-heads, this meant redesigning (with a little help from my husband) the way the trigger was placed.
Then i bought an extra bass-drum-trigger, and since the module only have 9 trigger-inputs, I made (again with some help) a cable that connect the two bass-drum-triggers to the same input. It might not be a perfect solution, but playing a kit without two bass-drums, feels like driving a car with only one pedal :-) and I find myself constantly stomping my left foot on the floor.
The sounds in the module are fair but kinda boring, so I only use the module as a midi-gateway to the pc.

I have used UbuntuStudio as my main OS since the Feisty release and use EnergyXT2 with ZynAddSubFX, Mda-piano/ePiano, Loopazoid and other VSTi's that can be used with dssi-vst or native.

My style... (or lack of) is somewhere between ambient meditation and "death-jazz". I love doing odd beats, but most people get a strange distant look in their eyes when i play 15/16 or something similar :-)
You can hear some of my music here : http://www.sandgreen.dk/index.php?side=musik_sandsound (Mordor is my personal favorite)
btw. The vocals on these tracks are done with Vocaloid. I had voice-surgery last year that didn't turn out that well :(
Last edited by Sandsound on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
studio32

Re: Home sweet home

Post by studio32 »

Looks good! :) especially that old ironing board ;)

Sounds not bad either... I had to think a while, but it makes me think about the band 'The Cranberries'...
And I think the production is a good job, nice done!
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

studio32 wrote:Looks good! :) especially that old ironing board ;)

Sounds not bad either... I had to think a while, but it makes me think about the band 'The Cranberries'...
And I think the production is a good job, nice done!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Sandsound wrote:but most people get a strange distant look in their eyes when i play 15/16 or something similar
:D yeah! i like polyrhythm and uneven steps.
cant hear/open your music @ hp ... also i allow "noscript".
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

khz wrote:cant hear/open your music @ hp ... also i allow "noscript".
It's a flash thing, maybe you have flash-blocker or something ?

btw. I just realized that there isn't much odd-beat about the few songs I have on my site, so I'll upload some new material one of these days, I mostly keep that stuff to myself :-)
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Yeah 8) .. I love your studio!!
Nice songs as well :D

Are you using hydrogen as drum synth or are you using another software?
Where did you get the samples for your drum sounds ? I'm trying to build an acceptable drumkit to play with my e-drum with hydrogen but I find it hard to find good sounds.

Congratulations,

Gerard.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

Some of the songs where recorded with samples from my old Tama-kit, but recently I have been using XLN Addictive Drums via Wine. They have a free demo on their site with just a basic kit.

Hydrogen lacks some features I need, like better use of the hi-hat, the last version I used couldn't mute the open hi-hat when I used a closed one, and I haven't seen any development in a long time.

If you are interested, I can try to dig up my Tama-samples samples and post them on my site ?

EDIT: btw. I used Loopazoid before I switched to XLN.
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Do you mean that you recorded with your computer the sounds of each part of the e-drum by hitting on it, and then used them on a drum-synth on the PC ?
I thinked on something like that because my e-drum comes with a lot of pre-set drumkits with an extreme quality (from my point of view). I have a roland td-6v. But I haven't tried that yet.
Also I tried to use directly the HW synth of the td-6v by configuring it to play the midi stream coming from my computer.. but in this way you lose the control adjusting each part separately.. because this way you only get a stereo input with everything on it. As consequence you cannot raise the volume of only one instrument (e.g. the kick).. so my conclusion is that I prefer to use a drum-synth on my PC instead of the HW one on my e-drum.

In the future i will consider to switch to Addictive Drums if I cannot get anything decent in hydrogen.. meanwhile I'll try to get a good drumkit with hydrogen.
I'd be VERY thanked if you could post your samples.. It would help in my research :D

Regards,

Gerard.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

Yeri wrote:Do you mean that you recorded with your computer the sounds of each part of the e-drum by hitting on it, and then used them on a drum-synth on the PC ?
No, last time I was in a studio with my former band, I recorded some single-strokes of the whole kit, and put them on a cd. It's a Tama-Export with Sabian/Paiste cymbals and Zildian hi-hat, and some extra Pearl toms. I haven't used it in a while, but I'll try to dig out of our moving-mess.
Yeri wrote:Also I tried to use directly the HW synth of the td-6v by configuring it to play the midi stream coming from my computer.. but in this way you lose the control adjusting each part separately.. because this way you only get a stereo input with everything on it. As consequence you cannot raise the volume of only one instrument (e.g. the kick).. so my conclusion is that I prefer to use a drum-synth on my PC instead of the HW one on my e-drum.
The Roland sounds (and kits) are generally nice, wish I could afford one :-)
I think that the td model can assign each drum to a separate MIDI-channel (but I'm not sure), but then you could record each drum to a separate MIDI track ? (perhaps a bit messy solution).

/Sandie
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

I haven't been able to find the samples I made myself, I have about 30 spindels with 100 cd's in each, so it might take some time, unfortunately I haven't been so foresighted to name the cd's something that actually make sense :-)

But I did find these : http://www.sandgreen.dk/stuff/tama.tar.gz
They sound ok, but I'm not sure where they came from
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Sandsound wrote:I think that the td model can assign each drum to a separate MIDI-channel (but I'm not sure), but then you could record each drum to a separate MIDI track ? (perhaps a bit messy solution).
I am not sure neither.
It's a possibility but It doesn't seem very practical :)
Sandsound wrote:No, last time I was in a studio with my former band, I recorded some single-strokes of the whole kit, and put them on a cd. It's a Tama-Export with Sabian/Paiste cymbals and Zildian hi-hat, and some extra Pearl toms. I haven't used it in a while, but I'll try to dig out of our moving-mess.
Yeah.. that's DIY.. unfortunately I don't know of any decent analog drum available around here.
I am considering to make a drumkit from the samples recorded from the audio output of the td-6v by hitting each pad/rim, cymbal/bell/edge
But I did find these : http://www.sandgreen.dk/stuff/tama.tar.gz
They sound ok, but I'm not sure where they came from
I'll check them.. thanks a ton :D
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

Yeri,

At the time I was using hydrogen for my drumming, I got hold of the NS-kit-7 by Natural Studio (the free version of the kit). I still have it somewhere together with a hydrogen xml file. Even if this kit is the light version of the now Natural Drum kit (change of copyright owner), it's still a biggy and easily filled up about 1GB of RAM (hydrogen puts the whole kit into RAM). You can convert the kit to flac (or maybe I have it in flac as well, don't remember) but it will still be big.

Don't know where to upload. There were initially some discussions about a dedicated data server for linuxmusicians. Where did that lead to ?
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

Hi Thorgal,
I'm really interested on that.. I've been searching and it seems that ns_kit_7 is not maintained anymore. Instead there is NDK which has no free version (at least I haven't found it).
My home router has an static IP.. so I can configure so that you can access an account on my computer through ssh.
So, if you agree I'd give you ip,user and passwd throug private message, and then you could upload ns_kit_7 with scp.

Regards,

Gerard.
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

Yeri wrote:Hi Thorgal,
I'm really interested on that.. I've been searching and it seems that ns_kit_7 is not maintained anymore. Instead there is NDK which has no free version (at least I haven't found it).
There is a free demo, but you have to register at the forum to get it. There is a download section in the forum where a link to the kit was posted..
- Sebastian
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

mauser wrote:
Yeri wrote:Hi Thorgal,
There is a free demo, but you have to register at the forum to get it. There is a download section in the forum where a link to the kit was posted..
- Sebastian
Hi mauser,

I'll try to get it as well..
Guys, thanks to your aid it seems that I'll finally end up with a quite good drumkit :D

I'll post my impressions when I have experimented enough with all that.

Gerard.