Acer Aspire One Live PA Rig

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sodasound
Established Member

Acer Aspire One Live PA Rig

Post by sodasound »

Acer Aspire One ZG5 running Pure:dyne
Behringer 802 mixer
Lexicon Alpha USB interface
M Audio Oxygen 49 Keyboard controller
M Audio Studiopro 3 Monitors

I bought most of the audio bits for studio use, but I am a busker, and lately I have been working out ways to shoehorn my setup into a mobile rig. The monitors are optional for a stage show, but I am tempted to hack them into a battery operated replacement for my Tech21 guitar amp.
The keyboard, likewise, was bought so I could use the slide-controllers for mixing in Ardour, but now I am working on a setup where it will control volumes and toggles for SooperLooper, Hydrogen and AMSynth. The netbook can also run Hexter, WSynth and XSynth, but I like the flexibility of AMSynth. I also like ZynAddSubFX but I can't even change patches on it once without it crashing.
For Live PA, I'm doing something counter-intuitive with the mixer. I mix inputs through the FX bus into the Lexicon interface, then bring the outputs of the interface into a stereo channel and send the main mix to my speakers or a send. This mixer is a little bit light-weight for this sort of thing, but this setup gives me the control I need without creating a feedback loop - I just make sure the stereo channel I use doesn't send back into the FX bus. The FX bus is post-fader, so the main levels for the channels need to be up for the output to get anywhere.
nathan
Site Admin

Re: Acer Aspire One Live PA Rig

Post by nathan »

Cool rig. I've not used any computer-assisted live stuff before -- wondering if my Asus Eee PC can handle doing some basic beats and stuff for me though.
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

nathan wrote:Cool rig. I've not used any computer-assisted live stuff before -- wondering if my Asus Eee PC can handle doing some basic beats and stuff for me though.
Nathan!!! Welcome back brosef! I want to know about audio work, Ardour, Audacity, Hydrogen, LMMS on EEE PC too because I'm thinking of getting one for recording simply because of the size. I keep all of my recording gear in a backpack so it would really help with weight to have a EEE PC replace my 12 inch screen tablet.

-Matt :D

nathan
Site Admin

Post by nathan »

Good to see you here Matt!! The Eee can probably handle about 4-6 tracks in Audacidy/Ardour--maybe not much more than that. Start applying effects is Ardour and things'll slow down a lot. So for basic recording it may not be too bad if you're going in via USB or something, but for mixing, etc it would be pretty slow and might not work in some cases. I've used to do just basic editing on single tracks. I do think it would work okay for playing back live beats, etc.