MIDI controller

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

spock
Established Member

MIDI controller

Postby spock » Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:57 am

Hi.
I would like to know if the "m-audio oxygen 49" is compatible with Linux Mint. That is, everything: keyboard, pads, buttons, potentiometers,...

I also value: alesis v49 and Arturia Keylab Essential 49
Or that another good keyboard could you advise me

What a good DAW I recommend using that goes well in linux?

Thank you

tavasti
Established Member

Re: MIDI controller

Postby tavasti » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:12 am

spock wrote:Hi.
I would like to know if the "m-audio oxygen 49" is compatible with Linux Mint. That is, everything: keyboard, pads, buttons, potentiometers,...

I also value: alesis v49 and Arturia Keylab Essential 49

I don't have any of them, but I bet they all work.

spock wrote:What a good DAW I recommend using that goes well in linux?

- If you are doing all electronic (not recording audio), LMMS is easy to start, because it contains also instruments by itself.
- Best thing in the market for elecronic music is Bitwig (costs $$$)
- If you are mostly working with recorded audio and don't want to spend money too much, Ardour. Works also for programmed, midi stuff, but that is bit weaker side
- Best thing in the market for recorded audio is Mixbus ($$) / Mixbus 32C ($$$). Based on Ardour, so everything about Ardour applies to Mixbus also. Mixbus has great mixer which makes faster and easier to mix
Linux veteran & Novice musician

Hear my music at https://audiu.net/users/tawaste

spock
Established Member

Postby spock » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:56 am

Thank you tavasti

Someone who can confirm that with m-audio Oxygen 49 (first generation) everything works in lmms/ardour?

Thanks to everyone

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Postby Linuxmusician01 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:43 pm

spock wrote:Hi.

The M-Audio website (link) says that it's class compliant and you cannot download drivers or configuration software for it. That's always a good sign! You also asked if it's "first generation" works in Linux. Probably, but if it is a revision that needed (Windows) software or drivers then you might run into trouble.

spock wrote:I also value: alesis v49 and Arturia Keylab Essential 49
Or that another good keyboard could you advise me

I have the Alesis' little brother (the Oxygen Q25) and it's class compliant (i.e. works in Linux). It does not have anything "fancy schmancy" like rotary knobs or pads. That's always a good sign. I wouldn't count on the Arturia (or anything Arturia for that matter) to work flawlessly in Linux though. It's too long a story, but I have a little Arturia Midi keyboard of which certain revisions don't work in Linux. And they need (Windows) software to configure them. That software works for me for my Arturia keyboard in Wine (do you know waht Wine is?), but I would most certainly NOT recommend it!

spock wrote:What a good DAW I recommend using that goes well in linux?

Thank you

A good DAW is Qtractor (it's developer calls it a sequencer, not so much a DAW). Install it via the KXStudio repositories (I hope you know what a repository is, else ask in separate topic). Another well known DAW is Reaper. Some say it's a very good one. All I know it that it has a Linux native version, it's a small download and it is relatively cheap.

I'd start w/ good 'ol Audacity (audio editor, not so much a DAW) though, to see if that fits your needs.

Good luck! :)

spock
Established Member

Postby spock » Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Thank you y Linuxmusician01

I am a computer from Spain. I know the S.O. Linux. In the year 95 I already started working with Red Hat v2 and slackware. Today I work with Centos 7 and Red Hat ES on servers, at home I have Linux Mint and for several years I no longer have any windows. But I am new to music composition through software ...

Thank you so much for everything

Return to “Your Studio & Gear”