Are there affordable microphones that last for decades?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Are there affordable microphones that last for decades?

Post by bluebell »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Thanks for the info. I have an external audio device (Behringer 404 w/ Midas pre-amps, they say the Midas pre-amps are pretty good...).However, I'd hate to use the 48 Phantom Power because on my audio device then all inputs have that phantom power. That means that I cannot connect a dynamic mic and a synth at the same time. Any idea what might be an affordable non-phantom power mic like the Shure SM58?
Doesn't seem to be a problem: https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... n-dynamics

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Any idea what might be an affordable non-phantom power mic like the Shure SM58?
Samson Q7 is very like the SM58
There is also a Q8 (allegedly a copy of Shure Beta 58 but never had the latter to compare) bit more than the Q7 but prefer the sound of it
the Samson mics have neodymium elements and are much 'hotter' than the older Shure mics, will work with an interface better with less gain required

you may be able to use a phantom powered condenser mic if other inputs use jack plug connection instead of XLR
check your interface manual to make sure, but many only supply phantom power to XLR connection
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

nikgnomicradio wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote: Any idea what might be an affordable non-phantom power mic like the Shure SM58?
Samson Q7 is very like the SM58
You wished. In looks at most but that is how most dynamic microphones look like.

Samson Q7 Frequency Response 80Hz-12kHz.
Shure SM58 Frequency response 50Hz-15kHz
And then the gradient for both frequency responses also varies. The SM58 has a dip for vocal recording.
I have 12kHz, 15kHz and a 16kHz dynamic microphones and i can tell you they register sound totally different. Even 16kHz is widely different then 15kHz.

bhilmers
Established Member

Post by bhilmers »

I've been using a Samson C01U for over a decade. Never had a problem and it's definitely affordable. Low noise floor with a little harshness in the upper mids. Definitely better for vocals than recording instruments, but a great value nonetheless.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

That one looks interesting bhilmers.
crocket wrote:It just needs to record my voice.
In extention on my previous reaction a short tip.
Find out what the frequencies are for clearness and wamth, an find a microphone which covers these frequency ranges :wink: . A microphone especially designed for vocals like the SM58 could be preferred.

For recording clear vocals a decent condensor is the best, but that will cost you big bucks. Slightly overdone even if you know that many HR's use highcut on condensor recordings, but at least there is sound catched to cut which is better then missing needed sound.
For vocal recording with rumour at the background or horrible recording surrounding a uni-directional dynamic with covering frequency range can be a better option.
I myself prefer and use the better uni-directional dynamics as for me a condensor would bring me more problems instead of more benefits.
nikgnomicradio
Established Member

Post by nikgnomicradio »

The Q7 is what most people go for, and it works ok for some voices
but the Q8 is a better option
  • Samson Q8 - Supercardioid (2.5 mV/Pa; 50 - 16,000 Hz)
    SM58 - Cardioid (1.85 mV/Pa; 50 - 15,000 Hz)
Shure mics do not push enough millivolts if an audio interface has only about 50dB gain in the preamps

The 2 Samson mics are the only cheap dynamics i can speak of from personal use
and they must have a clown-nose windshield for the plosives

I used a stage condenser for a couple of years, better range than a dynamic without too much background noise
but i had live listeners who preferred the Q8 with less background noise
so may get a good broadcast dynamic next time
(as long as the wife never finds out how much it cost!)
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

nikgnomicradio wrote:The Q7 is what most people go for, and it works ok for some voices
but the Q8 is a better option
Q8 specifications look good. Thanks for explaining.
Q7 specification are as good as almost every $20 microphone.
About the other specifications you are right. A good interface which can handle more widens your options which helps a lot.

And microphone is partly personal. If you have the oppertunity for it then try before you buy. Lend from friends or try in a good shop.

I hope crocket now understands he has to think about what he is looking for and what specifications fullfill that.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Thanks for the info all. :)
crocket
Established Member

Post by crocket »

bhilmers wrote:I've been using a Samson C01U for over a decade. Never had a problem and it's definitely affordable. Low noise floor with a little harshness in the upper mids. Definitely better for vocals than recording instruments, but a great value nonetheless.
I thought USB microphones don't survive as long as XLR microphones.
Openmastering
Established Member

Post by Openmastering »

crocket wrote: I thought USB microphones don't survive as long as XLR microphones.
It's not about XLR being better than USB, it's a production thing. XLR mics are meant for daily use in studio or on stage, that's why they are usually better built than USB mics being used sporadically by a wannabe podcaster.

Dynamic mics aren't complex "at all". And other "analog mics" (condenser or tube based) aren't rocket science either. The difference lies in implementing and choosing key components.

On the other end, USB mics are really complex as they mix a microphone, an analog>digital converter and a soundcard in one, while working on 5V 0.3A. But I bet most of the time, USB mics fail because of a bad connector or a software bug. Electronics are quite resilient and can outlive us. Except caps, ok.

Try some lewitt USB mics, they are a legit mic company.
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.
crocket
Established Member

Post by crocket »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Thanks for the info. I have an external audio device (Behringer 404 w/ Midas pre-amps, they say the Midas pre-amps are pretty good...).However, I'd hate to use the 48 Phantom Power because on my audio device then all inputs have that phantom power. That means that I cannot connect a dynamic mic and a synth at the same time. Any idea what might be an affordable non-phantom power mic like the Shure SM58?
You can buy a USB audio interface that has multiple inputs.
crocket
Established Member

Post by crocket »

Openmastering wrote:It's not about XLR being better than USB, it's a production thing. XLR mics are meant for daily use in studio or on stage, that's why they are usually better built than USB mics being used sporadically by a wannabe podcaster.

Dynamic mics aren't complex "at all". And other "analog mics" (condenser or tube based) aren't rocket science either. The difference lies in implementing and choosing key components.

On the other end, USB mics are really complex as they mix a microphone, an analog>digital converter and a soundcard in one, while working on 5V 0.3A. But I bet most of the time, USB mics fail because of a bad connector or a software bug. Electronics are quite resilient and can outlive us. Except caps, ok.

Try some lewitt USB mics, they are a legit mic company.
For the price of a lewit microphone, I can buy Audio-Technica AT2020 and Scarlett Solo and still buy more.
Openmastering
Established Member

Post by Openmastering »

For the price of a lewitt I can buy a hell lot of stuff. Or no stuff at all. Or whatever in between. :lol:
My point is that you can find usb mics that are good professional hardware. Or whatever cheap mic you want or can afford. I bet you can make serious things with a scarlet and an at2020. Then go for it if it fits you.

Going back to the topic: cheap has more chances to fail as seen by OP with the blue microphone. The rest is only making decisions taking into account a price point, a goal, and availability.
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.