studio monitors

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Spanner
Established Member

studio monitors

Post by Spanner »

Studio monitors on a budget, 200 - 300 - 500 USD$

Any suggestions?

I am looking at KRK RP5G3-NA Rokit 5 Generation 3; JBL LSR 305, LSR308; Yamaha HS8
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: studio monitors

Post by Michael Willis »

I've heard good things about the Rokit 5s, my coworker's brother uses them in his music studio, but I don't have any first hand experience.

Depending on where you live and if you are willing to buy used, you might find a good deal on reverb.com. At any given time it has several used pairs of studio monitors for sale in your stated price range. Use the "ships to" filter found near the bottom of the filters on the left to specify where you live.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I think you'll do well on all the ones you've listed, I've heard good things about the JBL and Yamahas. I think the important thing is to use them in conjunction with something else you know well, your car, mp3 player with ear buds, hifi...whatever, but referencing is very important. Overall though get to know what you have, whether it is monitors or ear buds, you have to know them well.
mendo
Established Member

Post by mendo »

New series by Adam mayne?
https://www.adam-audio.com/en/t-series/

Also these seem to be affordable:
https://www.presonus.com/produkte/de/Monitoring

What about semi-pro stuff (=not 100% studio)?

Like:
https://www.nubert.de/nupro-a-100/p1361/?category=218
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Adams are really good, I had a set of the older A7 and they were amazing. A bit pricey but well worth the money.
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Heard the Yamahas at Music Store in Cologne, and at Session Music, Frankfurt, Germany - and they're good. I would buy them.
more about me on my blog
vitaminx
Established Member

Post by vitaminx »

I'm really happy with my pair of M-Audio Bx8: https://www.thomann.de/gb/m_audio_bx8_d ... ImVuIn0%3D

They have a really great bass response, so make sure to have your room correctly sound treated before using them.
logicgate
Established Member

Post by logicgate »

I just got a pair of PreSonus Eris E5 monitors, which are in the same price range as what you mentioned. I don't know if they're the "best" in that price range but I like them a lot. They're front-ported, meaning that it's not as much of a problem if they have a wall located right behind them. They're also a little smaller than the others, which is a plus in my "studio."
Logic Gate Music (retro electronic music and more...)
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

JBL 305 are considered to be the "best" in this price range, but the Eris are fine too.
Front ported vs back ported near the wall is a myth. At least this is what I read in some forums, etc. The wavelenght of the bass is so long and the bass frequencies are emitted spherical that it doesn't matter really if it's front or rear ported.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I bought some Adam T5Vs recently, really happy with them.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

I use Yamaha HS5 + HS8s subwoofer. When I was shopping for monitors I noticed a statement by mixing engineer Michael White about how speaker drivers needs to be driven to produced some quality. Which means that choosing too large of a speaker for the room you're in is not that good. The room, and the distance at which the monitors will be located. I was aiming for the HS7 because hey, the bigger the better and revised to get the HS5 which are very good. But then, I'm saying 'very good' but did not do any actual comparison. I could have bought several sets and return them to the store for whatever reason ... but was not inclined to do so 8)

Cheers.
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

I owned the HS5 for one week or so until I realized that the woofers where not centered. When I bought them they had a discount price (20€ less per speaker) and I asked several times if they are ok. Compared to my (even smaller) Neumann KH80 they also had very little bass. Anyway ... I would buy them again. They also sounded quite harsh, but that's on purpose. I also prefer speakers with less bass.
Markus
Established Member

Post by Markus »

I would suggest to not by them online but to go for a shop selling studio gear, even if you have to drive for an hour+ to get there. At least from my experience reliable dealers are willing to send you home with a couple of pairs (if you don't look for the < 100$ stuff) so you're able to test them intensively before spending any money.

Studio monitors is the most essential gear in your studio, far more important than your computer, your DAW, your plug-ins or what else. This is the main "interface" between your technology and your perception. There's absolutely nothing which could fix or work around improper speakers. Good advice which speaker to buy doesn't help at all, since nobody is aware of your special situation.

It depends on the size of the room, the angle you are able to place them, the distance to the different walls, the material of the surrounding, your ears, your music, your style, your procedure (mixing? mastering?) and so much more so that nobody is able to even give any kind of useful hint.

Oh and don't buy the ones which sound best. Buy the ones which sound best possible playing your preferred producer/band/engineer and worst possible with your on stuff. Otherwise you'll get stuck with some okay-ish production level without the possibility to enhance your skills reliably.
Shadow_7
Established Member

Post by Shadow_7 »

I had a pair of M-Audio Bx8's, which I got used from craigslist. They were good and really let me know just how much handling and wind noise I was recording. I sold them though, as 225W x2 plus computers and other things on one plug was an issue. Now I got mini maggies and a 150W stereo. Not that great for monitoring as you need a sub or two of the bass units (DWMs) to fill out the low end. I wouldn't go smaller than the KRK ROKIT 5's.
Spanner
Established Member

Post by Spanner »

I ultimately got a pair of the Yamaha HS5
It was a great choice. My room is very small, untreated as of yet and 8 feet wide x 16 feet long with 7 foot high ceilings. It's in a large-ish mobile home, up on stands, in the middle of nowhere, out in the boondocks.
They are little light on the bass end but flat and I do a lot of lowfreq stuff. I will probably get the powered subwoofer as soon as I can afford it.
I use a pair of ATH-M45 studiophone headphones for some of my work. They are pretty good, too.

Thanks to all the folks who provided input. It really helped me to make a choice.