[Solved] Scarlett 2i2: how to stop the crackling annoying noise ans xruns?

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

[Solved] Scarlett 2i2: how to stop the crackling annoying noise ans xruns?

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey, nothing more annoying than reading, "I just plugged it in and it worked!" :evil: :D
seriously, I knew after reading all the great reviews and some small negative, I figured be positive and I'll just plug n play this baby.
Well no, jack sees the 2i2 but the crackling noise and the crazy xruns make it hard to work with. Heck impossible to work with.

You blessed plug and play folks, please please help... wait, maybe the ones who struggled and got this working maybe the folks who need to reach out to me.

by the way, it works fine with my windows 10 test box.
Last edited by funkmuscle on Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: Scarlett 2i2: how to stop the crackling annoying noise ans xruns?

Post by funkmuscle »

Strange I was just playing my guitar through my preamp into the interface on the noise was there then it stopped all the sudden. Crazy crazy xruns. Governor set to Performance and I'm using a real time kernel.
256/3 settings in qjackctl.
I cannot record anything but yet I can hear my guitar. If I run any application to play music I will hear it but I just cannot record because whatever I'm using to record just records the xruns. The xruns crackling are no longer audible but you can hear it once it's been recorded.
How screwed am I right now?
tenryu
Established Member

Post by tenryu »

If it may help, with a scarlett 6i6 on my Acer laptop, there is just 1 on the 3 USB plugs that works correctly. And sometimes, I have to switch off the card because it lose connection.
Even if you can't sing well, sing. Sing to yourself. Sing in the privacy of your home. But sing.
"Nachman of Breslov"
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Worth try testing all your USB ports. Also, maybe test some different rtirq priority list. Might be worth to turn off wifi (if you can), as it is a common cause of xrun frenzy.

My 2i4 works pretty well on my Apollo, but USB interfaces under Linux usually work best if the USB busses on the computer are separate, so that devices do not interrupt each other. Which is why it is best to try all the ports.

A note: when recording with Ardour I have to be very conservative with jack settings:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/jackd -P87 -t5000 -dalsa -r96000 -p256 -n2 -D -Chw:USB -Phw:USB
It is somewhat better with qtractor and much better with NON. I often record with NON now and then mix with Ardour.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yes guys it turned out to be the USB port. Before I went to bed last night I unplugged everything related to USB. I was plugging it into the front of the computer. By the way I'm not using a laptop as a desktop and PCI sound cards are ridiculously priced so I decided to go the way of a USB interface.
I plugged it into one of the USB ports that is built into the motherboard. The front ones apparently our expansions so I figured the noise must have been coming from there. Everything works great now. Thanks a lot guys.