Using multiple instances of a single instrument

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

briandc
Established Member

Using multiple instances of a single instrument

Post by briandc »

Playing around with amSynth, the thought came to mind of opening multiple instances, and control them all through a single MIDI controller. That would make for some very rich sounds! (and in fact, amSynth has a "add new instance" selector in the menu, too..) So I tried it, opened a second amSynth, connected it and it works! Cool! That means double oscillators, double filters, etc. etc! :D

So a few things come to mind:
- how many instances can be used?
- do multiple instances increase polyphony?
- can multiple instances create problems for CPU, etc?
- can any of the DAWs handle multiple instances together when recording? (I know that Audacity can only receive one source at a time...at least for now...)

Yoshimi/Zynaddsubfx can layer many sounds in one instance, so it doesn't seem necessary to open other instances in this case. (I don't know if Yoshimi/Zyn can save a sound that has multiple voices activated. Anyone know?)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
autostatic
Established Member

Re: Using multiple instances of a single instrument

Post by autostatic »

briandc wrote:- how many instances can be used?
As many as your system can cope with
briandc wrote:- do multiple instances increase polyphony?
No, not when using one MIDI keyboard. Well, unless you can configure your MIDI keyboard keys to emit MIDI notes on different channels.
briandc wrote:- can multiple instances create problems for CPU, etc?
See my first answer.
briandc wrote:- can any of the DAWs handle multiple instances together when recording? (I know that Audacity can only receive one source at a time...at least for now...)
Yes. But then I'd use the amSynth DSSI plug-in, saves you a lot of hassle.
briandc wrote:Yoshimi/Zynaddsubfx can layer many sounds in one instance, so it doesn't seem necessary to open other instances in this case.
It is necessary unfortunately because every patch outputs on the same JACK outputs. If every patch would have its own JACK outputs then it wouldn't be necessary.
briandc wrote:(I don't know if Yoshimi/Zyn can save a sound that has multiple voices activated. Anyone know?)
It sure can!