The Kemper Profiler and other Nonlinear Audio Equipment analysis and emulation tools

Discuss your workplace, instruments, amps, and any other gear.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

gimmeapill
Establlshed Member

Re: The Kemper Profiler and other Nonlinear Audio Equipment analysis and emulation tools

Postby gimmeapill » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:56 pm

OK, I gave it a shot and as expected the maths don't mean much to me - sorry ;-(
At least, with the help of the wikipedia article https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nonlinear_system_identification, I see where you're going.
That's spot on - nice work!

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Re: The Kemper Profiler and other Nonlinear Audio Equipment analysis and emulation tools

Postby glowrak guy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:40 am

How about using visulaizations technology? Audacity gives us a flat linear view of a tone,
so how about cataloguing a useful range of tones, from a useful range of speakers,
but present them as rays emitting from a speaker, over the duration of the signal.

Once you can see and study visually the result of the signal, perhaps you can
work backwards to visualize the point where the signal impacts the cone,
and backtrace the stages of that signal through the amp circuit (bias/sag inclusive)
even to the pickup's output, and who knows, even to the string gauge and the pluck strength and medium.
'Personalized Players Profiling' (tm)

So many variables. Create an array of EQ and filtering controls to monitor and edit
the amp signal. At some point, the relationship between these controls and the visual array
from the speaker cone, should be able replicate closely, the 2D waveform, but having filled in
the dimensial blanks, so to speak, at which point you might have the basis of a working 'profile'.
Actually converting the linear flat 2d plane to a round, moving 3D array (or 4D counting the elapsed time of a test pluck?)
is where I remind myself that I'm just a dishwasher, stirring the mathematicians pot while they're out back
having a smoke... ...(which I may be blowing)...

Beyond that, Ken McLaren, of ACME Bargig/Headcase fame/infamy might be a good friend to consult.
He loves this stuff, and has proven to be quite good at it. I think he has a facebook related to Headcase,
if you're interested. Also, a topic at www.guitarampmodeling.com might generate some interest.
Cheers

tramp
Establlshed Member

Re: The Kemper Profiler thread

Postby tramp » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 am

CrocoDuck wrote:The basic concept is as follows:

The static nonlinearities generate the distortion products, the linear filters correct their magnitude and phase so that they resemble the ones produced by the real system. The linear filters are built on the entirety of the higher order responses of the system, but they are not the same.

This is somewhat similar to what we do in specmatch.
The main difference is that specmatch is focused to re-assemble a specific sound of a band (of course, of a guitar part from it) instead profile a amp.
Guitarix modules provide the distortion, were the user needs to select the distortion modules and settings himself, and specmatch creates a IR file witch correct magnitude and phase to fit the sound perfect. It's easy to play with the settings, re-create a IR-file and do a A<>B test.
Unfortunately we've written specmatch in python, and it is a bit rotten now.

funkmuscle
Establlshed Member

Postby funkmuscle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:35 pm

glowrak guy wrote:How about using visulaizations technology? Audacity gives us a flat linear view of a tone,
so how about cataloguing a useful range of tones, from a useful range of speakers,
but present them as rays emitting from a speaker, over the duration of the signal.

Once you can see and study visually the result of the signal, perhaps you can
work backwards to visualize the point where the signal impacts the cone,
and backtrace the stages of that signal through the amp circuit (bias/sag inclusive)
even to the pickup's output, and who knows, even to the string gauge and the pluck strength and medium.
'Personalized Players Profiling' (tm)

So many variables. Create an array of EQ and filtering controls to monitor and edit
the amp signal. At some point, the relationship between these controls and the visual array
from the speaker cone, should be able replicate closely, the 2D waveform, but having filled in
the dimensial blanks, so to speak, at which point you might have the basis of a working 'profile'.
Actually converting the linear flat 2d plane to a round, moving 3D array (or 4D counting the elapsed time of a test pluck?)
is where I remind myself that I'm just a dishwasher, stirring the mathematicians pot while they're out back
having a smoke... ...(which I may be blowing)...

Beyond that, Ken McLaren, of ACME Bargig/Headcase fame/infamy might be a good friend to consult.
He loves this stuff, and has proven to be quite good at it. I think he has a facebook related to Headcase,
if you're interested. Also, a topic at http://www.guitarampmodeling.com might generate some interest.
Cheers

When tramp was starting Guitarix and I was assisting by testing things, I reached out to Ken for help as he lives about half hour from me. His health was an issue and he's no longer doing anything.
He couldn't offer help. It's been about two years now since I last spoke to him on fb

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Postby glowrak guy » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:21 am

Amost a year to the day ago, at GAM, Ken posted:

"OK so..
We need to kick things off.. I have the Studio/Office built, I have regained the mental capacity to handle work again (Thanks to the wonderful world of brain altering chemicals and Marijuana) And.. we are in full agreement of the direction we will take."

I'm not involved in facebook, but I heard he uses that, instead of forum-style communications.
Maybe drop by his place with some cold beer, and hot new strings?
Cheers

funkmuscle
Establlshed Member

Postby funkmuscle » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:38 pm

glowrak guy wrote:Amost a year to the day ago, at GAM, Ken posted:

"OK so..
We need to kick things off.. I have the Studio/Office built, I have regained the mental capacity to handle work again (Thanks to the wonderful world of brain altering chemicals and Marijuana) And.. we are in full agreement of the direction we will take."

I'm not involved in facebook, but I heard he uses that, instead of forum-style communications.
Maybe drop by his place with some cold beer, and hot new strings?
Cheers

ok I'll reach out to him

funkmuscle
Establlshed Member

Postby funkmuscle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:47 am

I reached out to Ken and he's no longer dealing directly with the business and he is not doing anything with plugins. He is still tied to acme but just as a shareholder. The software company that he sold it to is running the show.

glowrak guy
Establlshed Member

Postby glowrak guy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:43 am

Thanks for doing that. I hope he is winning the health battles.
Did he mention the company who is working with his products?
I'd like to follow their progress, if possible.
Cheers

gimmeapill
Establlshed Member

Postby gimmeapill » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:05 pm

On a side note, I saw one of those Kempers used live last WE.
It was looking like a sore thumb on stage (doom concert - the other bands were on Matamp or Orange), but by hearing it I couldn't tell the difference with the tube amps. They seem to work as advertised.

Return to “Your Studio & Gear”