MOD Devices sponsors Linuxmusicians.com

Check this forum for important info regarding the site.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gianfranco
Established Member

Re: MOD Devices sponsors Linuxmusicians.com

Post by Gianfranco »

fundamental wrote:
Just out of curiosity what do you mean by "space" here? Is this referring to a physical space for interaction with new hardware or primarily a different set of discussion avenues with MOD core members? I tried to look it up when this topic first appeared, though either info was more sparse on the mod website than expected or I was looking in the wrong places.
Sorry. My wording was not good. "Environment" would have been a much better option than "spaces".

MOD Labs materializes when we attend hackathons and the likes, but it is mostly an online entity.

Our main customer base requires constraints to our products products that clash with some expectations of the hacker/maker/developer audience. The later group is smaller than the first, but it is equally important. That said, part of the MOD Labs initiative is to provide this parallel environment, with way less rules and constraints.

If a parallel fits, I'd say it is similar to the Debian system. We already have our stable/testing environments and we're now creating Sid.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

1. I need this forum to ask questions.
  2. I need this forum for its archive of knowledge.
So I just donated €10 via Paypal to paypal@bzzt.net (see this topic too). Wish I could do that automatically every year so I wont forget. :)

I hope that falkFX (from the KXStudio repository and distribution) does not leave this forum. Thanks everybody for making it possible to create music on Linux.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

I'm sorry to reopen the wound here, but after a few months passed, I feel that falkTX clearly leaves a huge whole in this forum. He was very responsive, provided great (general) support and technical information, and was very active as a moderator (quickly dealing with discussions that were derailing). Of course, he also provided support for the important pieces of software he developed himself (or packaged for Linux), KXStudio repositories and distribution, and, as far as I could see, was always friendly and level headed.

I want to emphasize that I don't blame raboof for getting the sponsorship, and it is clear from this discussion that he tried to make the process transparent and had only the best interest of the forum in mind. I, myself, sit on the middle: I see the argument from both sides having valid points. I also have nothing against MOD (I don't know much at all about the company and its relationship with open source/Linux), even though I always tend to side with open source.

But, with all that being said, I'd like to say I'd much rather help support the site financially than having falkTX absent.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Post deleted due to an overabundance of ignorance on my part.
Last edited by ufug on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
listenable at c6a7.org
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Everyone has only a fixed amount of time for his projects. FalkTX keeps developing his software and responds to bug reports. Most of us who just use his software cannot do this or contribute patches. But we can help other users in this forum who have handling problems. FalkTX cannot be everywhere.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

Btw falkTX is on the KXSStudio Discord channel and I have heard from other sources that he is planning to start an own forum, but as he's also moving to an other country this might take some time.

Anyway.. KXStudio can be used without problems.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Felipe left for his own reasons. If he comes back - fine. If he doesn't - also fine.
People move on, change, and so should we.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

ufug wrote: [snip]
I don't want to rely on a project that is so fragile that it can be killed with a debate about a well-intentioned 120px ad on a forum.

I hope he is doing OK personally.
Well, I think we (myself included) should be more careful in making assumptions on why falkTX left. As his break from KXStudio might imply (as well as the posts above), there might be more to it than the logo. I probably should have thought of it before posting...

Sorry to all for resurrecting the thread.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

MOD agreed to pay our hosting costs by invoicing them EUR50 per half-year. Unfortunately after 2 such invoices they never paid the third one, stopped responding to emails, and when I called them on the phone (I know, like a caveman) they told me to email instead. I guess I'll just remove the logo again.

I still think it is preferable to take money from a commercial entity instead of your hard-earned cash, so I'm not asking for donations. If you have a good idea for a company that might be interested in sponsoring let me know. I'm sure we won't let this affect our independence.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Very disappointed to see this. Maybe theyve fallen on hard times, but it doesn't seem a good way to withdraw :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

raboof wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:49 pm MOD agreed to pay our hosting costs by invoicing them EUR50 per half-year. Unfortunately after 2 such invoices they never paid the third one, stopped responding to emails, and when I called them on the phone (I know, like a caveman) they told me to email instead. I guess I'll just remove the logo again.

I still think it is preferable to take money from a commercial entity instead of your hard-earned cash, so I'm not asking for donations. If you have a good idea for a company that might be interested in sponsoring let me know. I'm sure we won't let this affect our independence.
Maybe there has been a miscommunication of some sort or they have fallen on hard times due to COVID, they seemed like pretty cool free software-friendly people.

Some ideas:
* The Ardour team is not making huge sums of money but maybe they can sponsor you considering that we promote Ardour a lot
* Same for Mixbus, their DAW is promoted a lot around here (just use the search function to show them)
* Cockos Inc. (REAPER)
* Bitwig
* Renoise (their DAW is not very used around here but maybe they might benefit from some publicity)

If those can't sponsor LM I suppose there is PACE (they bought JUCE) but they make DRM products so I'd prefer they don't because it might have a chilling effect on us, but I trust you can keep LM independent even if they do sponsor it.

Aside from Ardour, I'm not even proposing free software developers that can sponsor LM because many of them work on a zero or negative budget :(

Edit: I wouldn't mind donating, even if I can't pledge a huge sum being unemployed, this forum gave me a lot over the years!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

As I'm writing this, I just got an add from MOD on IG. Been getting it everyday! I figured they're doing good!
Didn't falktx say he'd pay as long as you didn't go commercial?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

raboof wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:49 pm I still think it is preferable to take money from a commercial entity instead of your hard-earned cash, so I'm not asking for donations.
Are you sure that you don't want donations? We had some thread about it, bumping it up again would be good idea.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I don't think MOD is in hard times. They are about to launch the MOD Dwarf and are expanding their business by going semi-public on Crowdcube.

How much does it cost to keep this site online? I'm willing to donate.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Through email as well as directly on the phone you can have a direct communication and exchange of information if you care about something, respect each other.

What about the MOD Devices? Will the subforum still remain if the facts of the case are not clarified or do we proceed as with the logo?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.