Hello world

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Sandsound
Established Member

Hello world

Post by Sandsound »

Hi all

Great idea this site 8)

I been using Linux to make music for about three years now, started with LMMS, Ardour, Rosegarden and Muse but fell in love with EnergyXT2 and have been using it since the first beta.
I work as a web-designer and have played in a few bands (drums, guitar, bass and keyboards) and I hope to be able to make a living with my music one day, but who doesn't.
I'm lucky to have a very understanding husband who doesn't mind having a "few" instruments in our living-room, although he did get a troubling look in his eyes when I came home with my new e-drums :) but as I explained to him... to me it's like having a fine piece of art on the wall.

I'll be posting some pictures of my setup later, and look forward to be a part of this great initiative.
I don't know much about computers, but I have learned a few tricks along the way, and I would love to give something back to the Linux community.

Best wishes from Denmark
Sandie
thorgal
Established Member

Re: Hello world

Post by thorgal »

Ciao Sandie,

Welcome here :)
You are from Denmark ? me too, sort of. Check my place : http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=101 (pictures are a bit truncated in phpBB3). I stay in Bagsværd, 15km from downtown Copenhagen. I was on a sabbatical year, time during which I built up my home studio and composed music. I am not yet done with my music project but financial debts crept up so I had to resume my work at ... (censored ;) ) for a decent income. So the pace of my project has slowed down quite a lot but I am on it nonetheless.

So you got an e-drum ? would love to see that. For my drumming, I use a VSTi called Addictive Drums by XLN Audio that I run via dssi-vst on my linux DAW. It is truly excellent! I am sure that combined to an e-drum, you would fool your audience :)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

welcome \o/
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Hey Sandie,

Whow a multi instrumentalist with e-drums ;) Welcome to the club! :)
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

thorgal wrote:Ciao Sandie,

Welcome here :)
You are from Denmark ? me too, sort of. Check my place : http://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=101 (pictures are a bit truncated in phpBB3). I stay in Bagsværd, 15km from downtown Copenhagen. I was on a sabbatical year, time during which I built up my home studio and composed music. I am not yet done with my music project but financial debts crept up so I had to resume my work at ... (censored ;) ) for a decent income. So the pace of my project has slowed down quite a lot but I am on it nonetheless.

So you got an e-drum ? would love to see that. For my drumming, I use a VSTi called Addictive Drums by XLN Audio that I run via dssi-vst on my linux DAW. It is truly excellent! I am sure that combined to an e-drum, you would fool your audience :)
Nice setup you have there, love the view :-) must be inspiring.
I have also posted my setup under "Your Studio & Gear" in this forum.

I'm downloading Addictive Drums right now, looks promising.
cino

Post by cino »

I have been a member for about ten mins and already have a new progg to check out. EnergyXT2 eh? Screen shots look exactly like what I have been searching for.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

cino wrote:I have been a member for about ten mins and already have a new progg to check out. EnergyXT2 eh? Screen shots look exactly like what I have been searching for.
It's just too bad it isn't open source, but compared to other DAW's, the price is absolutely affordable.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Sandsound wrote: It's just too bad it isn't open source, but compared to other DAW's, the price is absolutely affordable.
That why I like Ardour better (and why we will promote this here more ;) ) and I think you can use other good apps in combi with ardour if you want to use midi or VST.

btw. Did you check out this website: http://people.jacklab.net/metasymbol/software/
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

I don't want to sound snobby or whatever, but ardour beats them all for what it does. I am not talking about MIDI sequencing, or looping bits, etc. I am talking about a DAW work : multi-track recording, track editing, mixing. And when I say mixing, it is really an amazing piece of work, the audio routing is phenomenal! And its interoperability with jack a bliss!

ardour will mature, it needs some more needed features, but the 3.x serie will bring it there.
Sandsound
Established Member

Post by Sandsound »

thorgal wrote:I don't want to sound snobby or whatever, but ardour beats them all for what it does. I am not talking about MIDI sequencing...
It's not snobby at all :-)

I agree that Ardour is amazing, and I can't wait to see 3.x, but until then... running a separate program like Rosegarden or ( ..insert favorite Linux-sequencer here.. ) as sequencer is a workflow-killer for me.
thorgal
Established Member

Post by thorgal »

sandsound, I also thought it would be clumsy at the very beginning, when I gave up using hydrogen and needed a MIDI sequencer with my drum VSTi. After one day getting familiar with rosegarden, dssi-vst and using ardour and rosegarden in sync via the jack-slave mode, I thought : stupid me, why didn't I do that before ??

I have a dual screen setup. When I am sequencing drum along with my music tracks in ardour, I have one screen with rosegarden and the VSTi window, and one with ardour. Sync'ed together, it almost feels like one big app. I wish I could tune rosegarden's color scheme, it looks really dull and I prefer ardour's darker theme. But regardless, the combo is really efficient. The only minor issue is when you have to close things and resume a session, you have to open the VSTi, then rosegarden, then ardour. But RG and Ardour are smart enough to remember connections. And it's very seldom I have to close everything down.

Remark: because I am producing rock music, with a human feel to it, I don't mind that there's a bit of time jitter, so the sync'ing is not 100% accurate but it's undetectable in that kind of music. However, if you are into music based on strict loops, you may face an issue. I am not into that kind of music so it's no bother to me. By all means, you should give it a try.

Wish: I hope ardour will import or implement tempo ramping like the one found in rosegarden. I think the tempo handling in ardour is clumsy but it's because it is not a sequencer so it's not supposed to handle that. Rosegarden makes it so easy, so I hope ardour-MIDI will get inspired.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

For midi you can also use Qtractor, great app with very good jack support! With that in mind I don't see the big advantage of Ardour with midi... Why not let the other apps concentrate on midi and Ardour for recording etc?

BTW I tried energyxt2 the demo. But didn't see much what I do miss now with Ardour and Qtractor... or maybe the VST support is better in Energyxt?
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Sandsound wrote:running a separate program as sequencer is a workflow-killer for me.
Hmm, I actually like the idea of several well-integrated applications, each with a clearly-defined task, over multiple applications that all try to be everything at once.