Greetings from Oregon!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

nateyork
Established Member

Greetings from Oregon!

Post by nateyork »

My name is Nate, I have been playing music for quite a while and play regularly with my band The T Club.

To pay the bills I am an IT Admin for a company in Eugene, Oregon. - All Pc I might add.

So I have always used a PC to record and edit (Cubase, Soundforge, Acid, Vegas etc...) And have had plenty of success!

But, I want to

a) Get into Linux, I have only really used Suse 9 as a server OS and loved it! But I want to support the movement and get on board!

b) I am a guitar player in the group by default, but I want to have a computer as a midi controller (another thing I am pretty noob at) and now that I am reading more and more about amp software in linux, I am going to try that!

c) I want to build that system, at this point I am thinking a stripped down on stage music machine, that I could multitrack with, not at the same time necassaraly, but with my firepod.

I have already been learning since I found your forum today!

Thanks!

I am excited to get into this!

Nate~
studio32

Re: Greetings from Oregon!

Post by studio32 »

nateyork wrote:My name is Nate, I have been playing music for quite a while and play regularly with my band The T Club.

To pay the bills I am an IT Admin for a company in Eugene, Oregon. - All Pc I might add.

So I have always used a PC to record and edit (Cubase, Soundforge, Acid, Vegas etc...) And have had plenty of success!

But, I want to

a) Get into Linux, I have only really used Suse 9 as a server OS and loved it! But I want to support the movement and get on board!

b) I am a guitar player in the group by default, but I want to have a computer as a midi controller (another thing I am pretty noob at) and now that I am reading more and more about amp software in linux, I am going to try that!

c) I want to build that system, at this point I am thinking a stripped down on stage music machine, that I could multitrack with, not at the same time necassaraly, but with my firepod.

I have already been learning since I found your forum today!

Thanks!

I am excited to get into this!

Nate~
Welcome! Nice to have you here.
Sometimes it cost some effort and time to find your way on Linux, but its worth it!
Did you know there's a special OpenSuse version for making music?
check: www.jacklab.org, others are ubuntustudio and 64studio.

Did you also checked our wiki? Many usefull information you can find there!
http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com

Good luck with making music on linux
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Post by MattKingUSA »

Yup yup, welcome. It is well worth it to make music on linux. Here is a good site to referance what hardware is linux compatible, http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatlist3.html Good luck,

Matt

-Matt :D

nateyork
Established Member

Thanks!

Post by nateyork »

Awesome! I was unaware that there was a Suse version out there!

I am excited to try it out!

Thanks for all the love already guys, that is one of the reasons I am thinking this is the direction to head, community!

Nate~
MattKingUSA
Moderation Services Senior Administrator

Re: Thanks!

Post by MattKingUSA »

nateyork wrote:Awesome! I was unaware that there was a Suse version out there!

I am excited to try it out!

Thanks for all the love already guys, that is one of the reasons I am thinking this is the direction to head, community!

Nate~
Jacklab comes with over 300 Ladspa pluggins too, I actualy copied the /usr/lib/ladspa directory from my friends jacklab install and copied it to my computer. It's an awesome good distro. It has tons and tons of midi programs, dj programs and wav audio editing software.

-Matt :D

studio32

Re: Thanks!

Post by studio32 »

nateyork wrote: Thanks for all the love already guys, that is one of the reasons I am thinking this is the direction to head, community!
Nate~
There's little love on the internet... ;) You better search for it in the 'real' life ;)