Hello! Jon here

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

ithesound
Established Member

Hello! Jon here

Post by ithesound »

Hello,

New adventure. I have been doing sound in Mac and Windows for the last 20 years and I finally decided to leave the mainstream and transition to Linux. The learning curve is proving daunting, and my favorite software to create amazing sounds seems to be a no-go for now (Kontakt - Omnisphere). I am having some success using LinVST for some plugins, but the DSP load is too much to be usable.

I will be roaming around the forum to see if I can find good solutions to use music libraries, pianos, and cool pads, which I use intensively in my music.

It is a pleasure to be in good company around here :)

iTheSound (Jon)
bluebell
Established Member

Re: Hello! Jon here

Post by bluebell »

ithesound wrote:Hello,

New adventure. I have been doing sound in Mac and Windows for the last 20 years and I finally decided to leave the mainstream and transition to Linux. The learning curve is proving daunting, and my favorite software to create amazing sounds seems to be a no-go for now (Kontakt - Omnisphere). I am having some success using LinVST for some plugins, but the DSP load is too much to be usable.

I will be roaming around the forum to see if I can find good solutions to use music libraries, pianos, and cool pads, which I use intensively in my music.

It is a pleasure to be in good company around here :)

iTheSound (Jon)
Welcome to the Secret Mainstream. Don't tell others! :mrgreen:

You might find the following synths interesting:
- Yoshimi or ZynaddsubFX for great pads
- Hexter or Dexed for DX7 sounds including good e-piano sounds
- Linuxsampler and the SalamanderGrandPianoV3 for a good grand piano sound
- Helm for experimental stuff

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

ithesound
Established Member

Re: Hello! Jon here

Post by ithesound »

Hello Bluebell

I won't tell anyone :)

Thanks a million for the tips. Very much appreciated. I will go now and start exploring those resources.

Also, I am wrecking my head with two things. Maybe you can point me in the right direction.

1. Unfortunately or not, I have a collection of premium plugins that I use for voice processing when I produce podcasts, and I am using LinVST to patch them into Ardour. I am (so far) unable to get the plugins to go online to validate my license keys. I am experimenting with different Wine configurations but have not able to succeed yet. I am reading a lot but so far, no luck.

2. Also in the same line of using LinVST, when I use any virtual instrument that was designed for Windows, my DSP load jumps from 40% to 95% only with one instrument. I have a monster of a computer, with 32Gb of RAM, 450BG of SSD hard drive, and a powerful i7. I am using MODICIA Linux, which I understand has a low latency kernel already. I wonder if I haven't found the magic key to bring Windows VST instruments to a more reasonable DSP load. Until I complete my full transition into Linux, I need to use some Windows VST for projects I am working on.

Any tips on the above will go a long way to alleviate current headaches :)

Thank you again,

Jon