Another New Recruit

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

turbidh20
Established Member

Another New Recruit

Post by turbidh20 »

Hello everyone!

Long time Linux user but only fired up Jack seriously in the last couple of weeks and I'm using Ardour. I've got it all configured nicely with a Behringer UMC204HD and I'm currently running at 2 msec. I may have to increase this as things get more complex but it's working at the moment.

I write my own songs (pop/rock) and used to record them with Cubase way back when. After a long break I'm going to rescue and remix (and re-record some bits) all the old stuff and record some new stuff too. I've practically finished importing and mixing one song, as a test and that's gone well.

I'm currently overwhelmed by the vast amount of plugins :shock: and I'm finding it hard not to get bogged down researching this stuff instead of actually working on the music itself!

Cheers ... Paul
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Another New Recruit

Post by Michael Willis »

turbidh20 wrote:Hello everyone!
Hi Paul!
turbidh20 wrote:Cubase way back when.
When you say that it makes me think you were using an early version of Cubase on an Atari ST, circa 1989. :lol:
turbidh20 wrote:I'm currently overwhelmed by the vast amount of plugins :shock:
Don't worry too much about it, you can start out fairly minimalist, and then learn a little bit at a time as you identify different things that you want to improve about your sound. Think of it this way, not too many decades ago people recorded music without any digital signal processing at all.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Welcome.
As Michael said, don't worry about it. Just wait till you actually need something then go looking for it.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Thanks for the welcome folks.
Michael Willis wrote:Hi Paul!
turbidh20 wrote:Cubase way back when.
When you say that it makes me think you were using an early version of Cubase on an Atari ST, circa 1989. :lol:
It was circa 2006 but it feels longer!

I actually had a small hardware sampler for the Amiga and some software for sequencing, which I can't remember the name of now but it had a massive manual. I messed about with that stuff with my a U20, fun times. I'm not a MIDI person really and not a keyboard player, I just sequence what I need for my songs (drums/piano/strings etc). I play the guitars/bass/harmonica myself.
Michael Willis wrote:
turbidh20 wrote:I'm currently overwhelmed by the vast amount of plugins :shock:
Don't worry too much about it, you can start out fairly minimalist, and then learn a little bit at a time as you identify different things that you want to improve about your sound. Think of it this way, not too many decades ago people recorded music without any digital signal processing at all.
I only had a handful of plugins when I was using Cubase, I can't believe the breadth and quality (I assume) of just the free stuff available now. The only ones I've tried so far are the Calf ones.
folderol wrote:Welcome.
As Michael said, don't worry about it. Just wait till you actually need something then go looking for it.
The problem is if I search for say, a compressor, then I have to evaluate about 100 of them :wink:

I'm sticking to the Calf plugins at the moment and I'll venture further from there. If it's a basic/standard sort of plugin then it's the settings that are key anyway and I've got a few written down for various scenarios.
Arch Linux (i7-4790k/GTX970); UMC204HD; MPK Mini MKII; Jack2 (QjackCtl) & Ardour/Mixbus
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

turbidh20 wrote:Amiga ... fun times.
Fun times indeed; I remember arranging music on my friend's Amiga in the early 90s, those are some great memories.
turbidh20 wrote:I only had a handful of plugins when I was using Cubase, I can't believe the breadth and quality (I assume) of just the free stuff available now. The only ones I've tried so far are the Calf ones.

I'm sticking to the Calf plugins at the moment and I'll venture further from there. If it's a basic/standard sort of plugin then it's the settings that are key anyway and I've got a few written down for various scenarios.
Since you are using Ardour, I recommend that for basic plugins you can start with the plugins bundled with Ardour.

Be aware that some plugins have bugs that can have unpleasant results like crashing your DAW or blasting a high decibel noise. Of course most plugins won't do this, but it is best to spend time introducing and getting comfortable with one plugin at a time so that if you do experience such bugs, you will have a good idea of which plugin is at fault.
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Welcome. Having some Linux experience and also some music experience before bringing the two together is the ideal recipe. You are going to have a blast!
listenable at c6a7.org
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

Michael Willis wrote:Since you are using Ardour, I recommend that for basic plugins you can start with the plugins bundled with Ardour.

Be aware that some plugins have bugs that can have unpleasant results like crashing your DAW or blasting a high decibel noise. Of course most plugins won't do this, but it is best to spend time introducing and getting comfortable with one plugin at a time so that if you do experience such bugs, you will have a good idea of which plugin is at fault.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll take a look. Once I find a plugin I'm getting good results with then I'll tend to stick with it rather than keep trying others - I don't have the time at my age to waste :D
turbidh20
Established Member

Post by turbidh20 »

ufug wrote:Welcome. Having some Linux experience and also some music experience before bringing the two together is the ideal recipe. You are going to have a blast!
Cheers :) I just wish I'd done it years ago. I've got the bug again!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Michael Willis wrote:[...]
Since you are using Ardour, I recommend that for basic plugins you can start with the plugins bundled with Ardour. [...]
Thanks for that tip! They appear to be LV2 plugings that can be used w/ Carla too (except fort the low/high pass filter...).