Hi from the Constitution State, USA!

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arpegadream
Established Member

Hi from the Constitution State, USA!

Post by arpegadream »

Hi, CT Yankee here. I may be a yank, but I've lived all over the USA, including Texas, which I miss.

I just recently began playing in earnest again, at the age of 61, after decades barely doing anything. A part of me is coming back alive. The cost of great is a challenge because I'm on a fairly fixed and tiny budget, but I have late-life dreams.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Hi from the Constitution State, USA!

Post by tavasti »

What instrument you play? For most common instruments, getting some second hand is good option. At least what ever I am looking for in Ebay, there is plenty of good offers in USA, but with transportation to Europe, they are not so good.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

arpegadream wrote:Hi, CT Yankee here. I may be a yank, but I've lived all over the USA, including Texas, which I miss.

I just recently began playing in earnest again, at the age of 61, after decades barely doing anything. A part of me is coming back alive. The cost of great is a challenge because I'm on a fairly fixed and tiny budget, but I have late-life dreams.
Welcome! You can make any kind of music on a low budget. You can get a pretty cheap decent acoustic guitar for under $100, and a MIDI keyboard with even less.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Yes, I primarily play guitar. I do have two guitars and 3 pedals and a little practice amp so far. I AM on a fixed and tiny income and feed a family who supports my endeavors, so I get away with occasional sinning in the form of GAS.

My guitars are modest but wonderful:

A Resurrected from severe damage Epiphone Les Paul Standard Cherry Burst

And

A Hagstrom Cherry Red F-20t which seems sort of "rareish" in these parts. It is sort of Amazing really.

I've had some truly fine instruments in my past in better times and failed to play much, but I've got the bug again.

Pedals are nice, I'm lucky to have been given an AnalogMan customized Chorus, a TC Electronics Hall of Fame 2 I acquired on debt, and an Electro-Harmonix Soul Food being customized as we speak. I will soon also have a loaner of an AnalogMan Metal Pedal and a Zoom Multi Pedal. I signed up for Pedal Genie but won't be able to keep it for very long. The first pedal they sent sucked, an Omikron, well, it didn't suck, I just didn't like it, neither did other people, too intense and obnoxious.

I only have a small Fender Loaner practice amp with blah sound.

I want to get:

a Kustom KG100FX 30 Watt Amp

A Keeley BubbleTron Pedal

A G&L S-500 Tribute Guitar

And a

TC Electronics Flashback 2 Delay X4

Yeah, expensive taste, well, the pedals that is.

Hard because I'm kinda broke. I do as best as I can. My goal is to perform a little in due time.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

For a low budget, get second hand multi-effect unit like Digitech RP255/RP355. They produce huge range of sounds, have headphone connector, and best of all, they have also USB interface which you can use to record your playing.

I have also some pedals, but tend to play with only multi-effect box used. For a low budget, you could sell your pedals.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

modusjonens
Established Member

Post by modusjonens »

Welcome!

I had to look up the Hagstrom F-20t for reference as I hadn't heard of that maker before -- they're gorgeous. Reminds me a bit of the aesthetics of a 70's Teisco Del Rey I started playing on. Very cool!
arpegadream
Established Member

Post by arpegadream »

Larry Coryell played hagstroms. My first electric was a Hag as a kid. Back when I had a good living I've owned 5,000 dollar guitars, but honestly, my old first guitar, a Hagstrom III, is still my favorite and I so miss it.