Glad to be here.

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

wardlok
Established Member

Glad to be here.

Post by wardlok »

I live within 5 miles of a university with a computer science club that supports Ubuntu.Ubuntu Studio is distro of choice for me.I intend to build a desktop computer to support Ubuntu Studio.I require input as to what hardware would be best.I've done some research in the past and am particularly interested in mother boards that are void of SMI(System Management Interrupt)right out of the box,if such mobo's actually exist.Are there any hardware packages that can be purchased to support Ubuntu Studio or is it a situation where components need to be purchased separately?
The system will be supporting,predominantly,an Alesis DM10 STUDIO electronic drum kit for starters.I'm keen on a particular proprietary drum program,as well.In the meantime,I intend on searching LinuxMusicians for as much info in regards to this endeavour as possible.Any input from members of this forum would be much appreciated along the way.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Glad to be here.

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

wardlok wrote:I live within 5 miles of a university with a computer science club that supports Ubuntu.Ubuntu Studio is distro of choice for me.I intend to build a desktop computer to support Ubuntu Studio.I require input as to what hardware would be best.I've done some research in the past and am particularly interested in mother boards that are void of SMI(System Management Interrupt)right out of the box,if such mobo's actually exist.
Maybe your demands are high (professional?). But I do not use such a motherboard. Only thing that is still difficult to find complete Linux support for is every piece of hardware in your laptop. Most (simple) desktop PD's are supported but you won't know 'til you try.
wardlok wrote: Are there any hardware packages that can be purchased to support Ubuntu Studio or is it a situation where components need to be purchased separately?
I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean exactly. One does not buy packages for Linux. They're all free. Most hardware manufacturers do not explicitly support Linux nor do they sell drivers for it. You'll have to be luck w/ your hardware.
wardlok wrote: The system will be supporting,predominantly, an Alesis DM10 STUDIO electronic drum kit for starters.I'm keen on a particular proprietary drum program,as well.In the meantime,I intend on searching LinuxMusicians for as much info in regards to this endeavour as possible.Any input from members of this forum would be much appreciated along the way.
If the 'Alesis DM10 STUDIO electronic drum kit' requires special software or drivers on Apple Macintosh computer then you'd better forget on support in Linux. Most things that work on a Mac are "standard compliant". What exactly is that DM10? Does it output midi or audio?
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

wardlok wrote:I live within 5 miles of a university with a computer science club that supports Ubuntu.Ubuntu Studio is distro of choice for me.
And why would that be ? Eg. when compared to a distro directly supported by Canonical ?

Cheers.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

wardlok wrote:I live within 5 miles of a university with a computer science club that supports Ubuntu.Ubuntu Studio is distro of choice for me.I intend to build a desktop computer to support Ubuntu Studio.I require input as to what hardware would be best.I've done some research in the past and am particularly interested in mother boards that are void of SMI(System Management Interrupt)right out of the box,if such mobo's actually exist.Are there any hardware packages that can be purchased to support Ubuntu Studio or is it a situation where components need to be purchased separately?
The system will be supporting,predominantly,an Alesis DM10 STUDIO electronic drum kit for starters.I'm keen on a particular proprietary drum program,as well.In the meantime,I intend on searching LinuxMusicians for as much info in regards to this endeavour as possible.Any input from members of this forum would be much appreciated along the way.
Hello,

can you tell us what kind of music do you want to make? Because if you plan to use MIDI, the technical requirements are significantly lower :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!