Hello and free music for all

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

caryoscelus
Established Member

Hello and free music for all

Post by caryoscelus »

Hi all! I've been GNU/Linux user for more than ten years now and started my music making journey just a little later. It was a long road to start producing compositions that i liked enough to complete and publish, but recently (after discovering noise) i've been making music more regularly.

These days i'm publishing my music on zeronet (uploading on jamendo doesn't seem to be worth effort after they made everything to distance themselves from open culture; and i don't know other platforms dedicated to it); if you can run zeronet, the address is http://127.0.0.1:43110/1FiHm91tcDdjkiGk ... 7Qmzrh8sv3. Otherwise, you can reach it via one of proxies, such as z.hex3.cf or 0net.io. Of course, all my music is free (i sure hope there is no need to explain the meaning on this site) and i'd be glad to provide anyone interested with more remix-friendly sources.

I'm using ardour (equipped with calf, guitarix, fluidsynth, yoshimi and what not) for most of my music making today, but in the past i've also used lmms, qtractor and even non. Besides computer music and recording noise, i may also occasionally pluck some guitar strings or hit some keys on keyboard instrument, but my technique is not in a good shape.

Soon enough i will be looking for collaborations, and that's one of my main reasons to join.
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Hello and free music for all

Post by Basslint »

caryoscelus wrote: These days i'm publishing my music on zeronet (uploading on jamendo doesn't seem to be worth effort after they made everything to distance themselves from open culture; and i don't know other platforms dedicated to it);
Nice, welcome!

A (nonpartisan, since I don't use it) comment on Jamendo - OK, maybe they have taken some distance from free culture, but I don't think that disqualifies as a host of free music. It's still much more accessible to regular people than a decentralized network! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

Basslint wrote:I don't think that disqualifies as a host of free music.
If it would be one-click affair, i might've still been using it. But i remember the process being very tedious: upload, then fill out the tags (which are already presented in my files), then search for enough genres to add and hope that js doesn't break in the process. I'd rather spend that time attempting to popularize decentralized networks than filling forms.

Also, it appears that jamendo has either very strict or very slow pre-moderation on comments. I can't even thank people for their music that i've remixed :/
Basslint wrote:It's still much more accessible to regular people than a decentralized network! :D
If i find time, i'll setup a personal proxy, so that anyone can pretend it's a regular website (and not depend on generic zeronet proxies).
libre artist in many media :: site :: support my music on badcamp :: liberapay ::
ko-fi
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

caryoscelus wrote:
Basslint wrote:I don't think that disqualifies as a host of free music.
If it would be one-click affair, i might've still been using it.
What about this: https://audiu.net/

Service is for getting feedback for your music. However, it is possible to use it such way that you just publish your music there, and thats it.
I am not sure if they have some limits how much you can store, are they removing some old stuff, etc.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

caryoscelus
Established Member

Post by caryoscelus »

tavasti wrote:What about this: https://audiu.net/
Not sure why?.. I'm not really looking for more platforms, especially those that interfere with downloads.
ko-fi