Swedish harmonica player/mathematician

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

EdvinW
Established Member

Swedish harmonica player/mathematician

Post by EdvinW »

Hej from Sweden!

I've been running Linux for most of my adult life, and playing music since my teens, but not until recently have I thought to combine these. For me the construction, tuning and over all physics of musical instruments is just as important an interest for me as is the actual playing. Most of my focus nowadays is directed to the problem of how to tune a harmonica to play different styles of music, or at least most of my free-time focus; music and instruments are a hobby, while I make a living as a mathematician. There is some overlap between work and play, and questions like "Is there some tuning of a four-stringed fretted instrument that lets you accompany a four-chord-song using at most two fingers pressing one string at a time?" are not at all foreign to me, nor are more "real world" questions ;)

My immediate reason to register here is that I recently bought a midi controller in the shape of a harmonica to better be able to try out various tunings much faster than on a "real" harmonica with reads, but my troubles with that can be found in a separate post.

This seems like a nice place :D
milo
Established Member

Re: Swedish harmonica player/mathematician

Post by milo »

Welcome, and we are glad you're here! It sounds like you'll fit in well with the rest of us geeks. :)
Ove
Established Member

Post by Ove »

Välkommen! :D
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Welcome here.

Blues harp by coincidence? Perhaps you could help bluebell.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19502
EdvinW
Established Member

Post by EdvinW »

Thanks, and Tack!
zoco wrote:Welcome here.

Blues harp by coincidence? Perhaps you could help bluebell.
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=19502
One COULD say I play the instrument commonly known as a blues harp, but most of them are tuned completely different than normal, and I never play the actual genre of blues. Also, I'm a complete novice in any kind of electronic production of sound. But I'll look into the thread :)
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

I was thinking you as highly experienced harmonica player can probably help him. If not, we have tried. :D