Hello, Zrythm developer here

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

alextee
Established Member

Hello, Zrythm developer here

Post by alextee »

Hi all, admins o/

I'm the lead developer of Zrythm (https://www.zrythm.org) and I was wondering if I could get a subforum in here for Zrythm related discussions.

Please reply, PM me or reach me on IRC (alextee on freenode, or #zrythm) if we could work something out!

Thanks, and nice to meet you all : )
Musicteacher
Established Member

Re: Hello, Zrythm developer here

Post by Musicteacher »

Welcome onboard!

I sure hope that someone will contact you soon!
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Welcome!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

I read on your webpage about how to install for systems based on Apt that your software is meant for Debian Buster. However, Buster isn't released at this moment (see Debian releases page). You sure it will work on current and older systems?

I use a very old version of Mint and I get tis error message in Synaptic:

Code: Select all

Failed to fetch https://apt.alextee.org/debian/dists/buster/InRelease  Unable to find expected entry 'main/binary-i386/Packages' in Release file (Wrong sources.list entry or malformed file)
And if I try to install ZRythm it won't because of unmet dependencies (i.e. my distro contains versions of libs that are too old):

Code: Select all

zrythm:
  Depends: libc6 (>=2.27) but 2.19-0ubuntu6.14 is to be installed
 Depends: libdazzle-1.0-0 (>=3.25.3) but it is not installable
  Depends: libgtk-3-0 (>=3.21.5) but 3.10.8~8+qiana is to be installed
  Depends: liblilv-0-0 (>=0.24.0~dfsg0) but 0.16.0~dfsg0-1 is to be installed
 Depends: libsmf0 but it is not going to be installed
  Depends: libsratom-0-0 (>=0.6.0~dfsg0) but 0.4.4~dfsg0-1 is to be installed
  Depends: libsuil-0-0 (>=0.10.0~dfsg0) but 0.6.16~dfsg0-1 is to be installed
Could you tell which are the minimal distro requirements for Debian based systems like Debian, Ubuntu and Mint?
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

@Linuxmusician01

Buster is already released as "testing". It's just not been released as "stable" yet.

Zrythm won't work on any debian-based systems older than buster. Even GTK versions are old there so it's too much effort to make it work and I decided to work on more important things like features and stability, since buster stable release will be near the first Zrythm release in a couple of months.

I'd suggest upgrading to GNU/Linux Mint 19 since you are already on mint if you still want to use mint. It will work there. It also works on Ubuntu 18.10 (I think 18.04 too). Since it works there I think it's a waste of time to work on making Zrythm available in old distros (for now at least since it's under development), unless someone else is willing to do that (I can help).
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

:welcome:

Bits from the Release Team: Debian 10 'buster' is now in the soft freeze >> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-a ... 00008.html
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

\o/
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Ooh nice. Another Linux DAW for me to try, with LV2 support too :D Never heard of this one before. I just installed it via the apt instructions and everything seemed to go ok. But when I open the program, I can't maximise the window or get the preferences menu to open (or any other menu options working for that matter). There's been no messages about dependencies. Any ideas why that is? I'm using Mint 19.1 btw.

Sorry to bug you with a support question in your opening thread here, but I'm pretty interested in trying this one out! Thanks.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Death wrote:Ooh nice. Another Linux DAW for me to try, with LV2 support too :D Never heard of this one before. I just installed it via the apt instructions and everything seemed to go ok. But when I open the program, I can't maximise the window or get the preferences menu to open (or any other menu options working for that matter). There's been no messages about dependencies. Any ideas why that is? I'm using Mint 19.1 btw.

Sorry to bug you with a support question in your opening thread here, but I'm pretty interested in trying this one out! Thanks.
Please remember that it's still unreleased so a lot of things are not working yet. But those you mentioned should be kinda working at the moment. You should install the deb file mentioned in the README manually. That's always the latest version and getting updated multiple times a day (since zrythm is unreleased I'm not updating the repos too often). If all goes well I can release a first version in a couple of months.

If you are on a newish distro like GNU/Linux mint 19.1 it won't complain about dependencies, it can pull them automatically. You only get errors on dependencies if apt can't find them (repo versions too old or some libraries don't exist - libdazzle doesn't exist on older debian distros)
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

Are you planning on making your DAW available in the KXStudio repositories in the future? That's what a lot of Linuxers use for their music software.
alextee
Established Member

Post by alextee »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:Are you planning on making your DAW available in the KXStudio repositories in the future? That's what a lot of Linuxers use for their music software.
yeah I already talked to falktx about this, he said he can host it there.

i'll also investigate more about AppImages and flatpaks. I was under the impression they won't work with jack
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

alextee wrote:Please remember that it's still unreleased so a lot of things are not working yet. But those you mentioned should be kinda working at the moment. You should install the deb file mentioned in the README manually. That's always the latest version and getting updated multiple times a day (since zrythm is unreleased I'm not updating the repos too often). If all goes well I can release a first version in a couple of months.

If you are on a newish distro like GNU/Linux mint 19.1 it won't complain about dependencies, it can pull them automatically. You only get errors on dependencies if apt can't find them (repo versions too old or some libraries don't exist - libdazzle doesn't exist on older debian distros)
Ah I see. My bad. Well I've got the repos setup now so I'll just check it after the next update there. Until then.. Cheers :)
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Zrythm - A free GNU/Linux Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) focused on electronic music and high modularity - viewtopic.php?p=101013#p101013

Making a track with Zrythm to see how raw it is (with alextee, the author) (unfa live 2020-06-07) - https://youtu.be/2kyfOW82StU?t=1800
sergionexus
Established Member

Post by sergionexus »

I have tried compiling on Kubuntu 20.04, but there has been no way. I tried also the Trial Installer, but don't work. I don't know what to do next. Until this app appears in the official Ubuntu repos (if it happens some day), it's a no go for me.