Hello from Florida, USA

Why not tell us a little bit about yourself? Welcome to the community!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

xyon0
Established Member

Hello from Florida, USA

Post by xyon0 »

Hey everyone, I am Steven from Florida. Have taken my first few steps into the audiophile world and am looking very forward to becoming addicted to this new hobby. Looks like an awesome community, can't wait to read more here. :)
DacMagic Plus DAC/Pre-amp
Yamaha A-S501 Integrated Amplifier
Klipsch R-51M bookshelf speakers
SVS SB-1000 Subwoofer (mostly used for games)
Sound server: JACK for music, straight ALSA (and sometimes Pulse) for games
Music player: mplayer
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Hello from Florida, USA

Post by Basslint »

Welcome Steven! Florida is probably one of my favourite places on earth. What kind of music do you want to make?
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

xyon0 wrote:Hey everyone, I am Steven from Florida. Have taken my first few steps into the audiophile world and am looking very forward to becoming addicted to this new hobby. Looks like an awesome community, can't wait to read more here. :)
Welcome Steven.

Did you know that you can make jackd your always running master sound system even when playing Youtube-videos, games and with virtual machines?

- The standard install of pulseaudio redicrects ALSA-clients to pulseaudio
- You can redirect pulseaudio to jackd with module-jack-sink

Then you can record anything that makes sound in perfect quality, e.g. with audacity

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

xyon0
Established Member

Post by xyon0 »

Thanks guys!
You can redirect pulseaudio to jackd with module-jack-sink
I've got module-jack-sink installed, but haven't used it yet other than a quick test to see if it worked here. Thanks for the encouragement, will set it all up soon! Really like Jack. I was thinking about creating an ALSA plug that just redirects to Jack instead of Pulseaudio, still considering that as well, what do you think?
Florida is probably one of my favourite places on earth.
Nice! What do you like about FL? I love the biodiversity, climate, and beaches :)
What kind of music do you want to make?
Well, I'm not sure to be perfectly honest. I really enjoy good music, especially live recordings (or being there live, like orchestral, jazz, etc). I am a big fan of independent artists, especially those on the horizon, there's some real creativity there in my opinion. Joined this forum to glean wisdom from the pro's and read how you guys do things.

Thanks,
Steven
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

xyon0 wrote: Nice! What do you like about FL? I love the biodiversity, climate, and beaches :)
The piano roll...oh wait, you aren't talking about FL Studio :lol: You pretty much nailed it. I also like the metal bands from there!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
xyon0
Established Member

Post by xyon0 »

I also like the metal bands from there
Right on man! :D

I'm going to peruse these fine forums for the "best" Linux audiophile distro. I'm using my workstation right now as a source unit and I think there's just too much contention, getting pops whenever I multi-task while playing music (even with Jack running in realtime with extra buffering). Workstation is openSuSE, not known for it's audio-friendliness from what I've read. See ya round guys! Thanks for being so friendly and welcoming!